Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 from 993

highway

Mexico City
The key is great, shaped and moulded to look like the silhouette of a 911. The seats are too narrow across the shoulders. pDK may be technically impressive but you do lose a significant part of the driving experience without a gear lever. Sport plus mode demands you use the (buttons rather than paddles on my car) and its too keen to change down. May make more sense on track. Who takes a £90k car on track?

Sounds epic. No PSE on this car. PCM 3 is nice. Touch screen, play music through your iPhone direct through Bluetooth. Bose is so much better here. It gets bad press generally, but you can't replicate the overall quality with aftermarket components- not in my 993 anyway and I've thrown a lot of cash at it.

Auto stop/start is frankly irritating. It may be nigh on instant but sat at a junction waiting to pull out its uncomfortable having the engine die. You can turn it off and I have.

The dial that would be the clock in a 993 houses a scrollable display which can include nav-map or a g-meter, which is surely a rip,off of that found on a Gtr? Novel, but ultimately a gimmick.

It's seriously fast. So fast that I'd question, really, why you would reasonably need or want more. I know some say you can never have enough power, but I disagree. It feels like you are holding a Catapault with the elastic drawn right back just waiting to release. Every time you do release you swiftly have to reign it in as you either rapidly run out of road or you realise if captured you will be deemed most naughty by those in authority.

Frankly other than the shape and the name this has nothing in common with a 993. You can't look over your shoulder and easily see what's coming as the pillar is massive and the rear window is further back. The leather feels thinner than in my 993.

More room in the back and the ride is way, way better than my car. The stiffer suspension mode is still too firm, like I thought it was in a 997s, serving to hump the secondary ride quality and make the car feel brittle.

I do like it, I'm lucky to have it over a bank holiday. I saw a polar 993, L reg peel past me at Tescos Purley Cross yesterday, don't know if that was anyone here.

In short you couldn't not like it or fail to be really impressed by it. I haven't got the money for one either. Personally I don't like PDK. I've tried it quite a few times in 911s now and in some other cars as well. I can see its a great auto. But it is still an auto. I'm surprised I don't really, achingly want a 991 though.

Off to play now!

After a few hundred miles I'm changing my mind about PDK. It is epically impressive. The car is so easy to bimble around in like a normal auto, when you accelerate the power is there and it is relentless. The standard suspension is beautifully judged, not too firm at all, though I still don't see the point of the stiffer PAsM setting.

I've also noticed just how good on fuel the car is. Far better than it has any right to be. You'd have to be ill not to want one of these.

... Yes, but what if you have a Licence To Ill?

2060309-beastie-boys-7-617-409_0.jpeg

I'm really starting to warm to PDK, but for the foreseeable future I shall happily be a Luddite and resist anything non-manual :D

PS: R.I.P Adam Yauch

adam-mca-yauch.jpg

Highway, thats a really well written piece - thanks for sharing with us. :thumb:

I saw my first 991 yesterday, coming up the A303. It looked superb - not 993 superb, but a lovely looking thing nonetheless.

I'm a fan of autos generally and loved the SMG 'box in my old M3 (even though it was pretty poor in auto-mode), so I can't help feeling that modern pdk must be good.

I'd also like to see also how a pdk in auto-mode compares to a modern auto-only box, as these too have seriously raised their game recently: and here I'm thinking the new 8-speed unit that BMW now fits, which is quite simply the best I have ever tried.

Back to Porsche: Given the price of the 991, the closest I'm likely to get to their current offerings would be via a new shape Boxster. I've not read a review yet, but it just has to be good, given the way it looks and the 987 that came before it.

tim

thanks Roro :thumbs:

gotta book me a test drive now

(damn and blast though that we have no nearby OPC)

tim

Now have a test-drive 991 (with PDK) in the garage (I have to give it back in the morning).

But you know what? I haven't warmed to it, hardly at all. Maybe I've been too worried to lean on it given that it has only 2k miles on the clock and it's not mine. :)

Dunno, it just hasn't lit my fire. maybe it's the PDK maybe not. More coherent thoughts later....

It didn't blow me away after 50 miles either. I was lucky enough to have it for 5 days and you cant help but like it more and more with use. The car I had this time had the steering wheel rockers rather than paddles which take some getting used to. I certainly didn't warm to them at first.

Its more use that you realise what has been achieved. Ride quality similar to an E39 5 Series, loads of modern kit like the touch screen nav, bluetooth phone and stop start, yet electrfying foot down performance too boot. AND you can get 30mpg + on a run!!!

The fact its so capable is hardly grounds for knocking it. It does feel MUCH bigger than my 993 and not nearly as wieldy.

Pumping the clutch is a pain in town and I suspect the PDK and boxes like it are the future. You cant even claim that the manual is quicker as it factually isn't.

Tim, your 993T will soon be worth more than a 991 so bide your time..

highway said:
The seats are too narrow across the shoulders.

The standard seats are dreadful, you are right and you feel that your holding yourself into the seats by your shoulder blades as the sides of the seats are shallow.

Move to sports seats+ and the seating feels epic!

911BlackEd said:
highway said:
The seats are too narrow across the shoulders.

The standard seats are dreadful, you are right and you feel that your holding yourself into the seats by your shoulder blades as the sides of the seats are shallow.

Move to sports seats+ and the seating feels epic!

I tried the sports seats and I had the problem that my shoulders were resting on the edge of the seat's but my back was in mid air unsupported!

Nothing wrong with the standard seats. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back