Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

high idle problem

Rs_Singh

hi
ive developed a high idle problem which is bugging me on my c2 varioram.

the idle is sitting about 1100-1200. when i first start its fine then it goes up after reving and doesnt come down.

ive cleaned the isv which was clogged but this hasnt fixed the problem.

whats next to check?

Hi,

could possibly be an air leak, check the rubber couplings at the base of the manifold legs where they attach to the cylinder head. That and all rubber pipework linked to the manifold.

Regards
GR

GR your the man!
The middle one is blowing!
Is it a difficult job to fix? Looks like the varioram needs to come off.

Rs_Singh said:
GR your the man!
The middle one is blowing!
Is it a difficult job to fix? Looks like the varioram needs to come off.

Not too difficult. The Varioram can be removed without dropping the engine, the hardest part is dealing with the accelerator cable. However you should be able to undo all the jubilee clips and lift the manifold enough to remove the offending one. I'd be inclined to replace all of them whilst you're there though. Check the plastic tube with the injector housing for cracks also.

If yours is an RS, both the rubber sleeves and the plastic tube are different to the normal Varioram engine, as are bits of the manifold itself....They are marginally larger.

Good luck
GR

Any chance you could take a pic of the area of the leak please?

Mine sometimes idles at this rate , though not always , usually when hot...

Ok guys quick update. There is a hole next to bottom of the manifold where we suspected the leak. Actually this hole is supposed to blow air out from which I initially thought was the leak.
My mechanic confirmed this for me.
Now for the embarrassing part. My air filter was very dirty and the sudden change in the weather has caused my car to idle high.
Quick air filter change and now all is well!

:thumbs:

High Idle - intermittently.

Just got mine back on the road after a month on sorn, and it has also a high idle.
I think it did it before but had only had it a week or two so didn't really notice. I have cleaned the ISV and had the air filter out and its new so not that. It also seems to increase in revs slightly when you come off the throttle, and has nearly caught me out a few times when going into a corner, with the slight increase in speed.
When idling at traffic lights it also seems quite lumpy and at times revs from 850/900 up to 1100/1200 for a few seconds before adjusting itself.

Any ideas?? :?: Hopefully something obvious and cheap!!

My car has started doing this as well from time to time when the engine is hot. It does eventually settle down to a 700 RPM idle after 30 seconds or so. Any consensus on what it might be? How did you get on sorting it out (ballcock, sjl178)? Ta.

RB , no news I'm afraid .. I've gotten a bit of 'They all do that' from my service man , and this coupled with it only very occasionally happening has made me lazy ... I'd still like to get to the bottom of it though!

I suspect as GR says , it's a tiny air leak , I haven't been able to find it ...

ballcock said:
RB , no news I'm afraid .. I've gotten a bit of 'They all do that' from my service man , and this coupled with it only very occasionally happening has made me lazy ... I'd still like to get to the bottom of it though!

I suspect as GR says , it's a tiny air leak , I haven't been able to find it ...

Thanks ballcock, I'm not sure it's a air leak because whenever I've had that before on a car the engine tends to hunt as the ECU tries to compensate. However the idle is rock solid albeit too high. :?:

If it's affecting a few of us it would be good to get a handle on it. I'm going to replace to HT leads, dizzy caps and rotor arms in the autumn and see if it still happens after that. I'm not hopeful though.

My car has been idling incorrectly recently. When started up it idled correctly at 700 rpm but once given some throttle it constantly idled at 1100 rpm – it wasn't hunting but was solid at the fast idle level. I'd cleaned the ISV not that long ago and the air-filter was clean so as a last resort I thought I'd investigate the air lines for leaks as Guards Red suggested above.

After a bit of a struggle I took the rear-blower unit out and noticed that at the back left of the engine bay (behind where the blower unit would normally be) there was a black plastic pipe coming from the left wall of the engine bay and just stopping in mid-air. Sorry – I should have taken some pics but at the time I thought I had probably dislodged the pipe myself when removing the blower. I could see from the dirt on the pipe and the clean end that the pipe had obviously been previously connected to something. A bit more investigation and I found a black joint which looked as though it should be mated with the pipe. It's just a push-in connection - no jubilee clip or anything to stop the pipework from separating. Following the newly joined-up pipe to the right it sits on the 'tree" connected to the Varioram manifold (the picture below was taken from pcarworkshop.com but I've marked the joint location on the pic).

Pcar%20Workshop.JPG

I put the blower unit back on and reconnected the wiring, vacuum line etc and took the car for a drive and the idle is now a steady 700 rpm. Problem solved. :D

I can't be 100% sure that I didn't disconnect the pipe myself when removing the blower and that the idle issue wasn't solved by another action when I reinstalled the blower unit and blower pipework (I'm not sure how likely it is that the blower unit or a sensor in there would affect the idle?). But if anybody else has this high-idle issue I'd recommend checking the ISV and air filter first and then consider removing the blower unit and checking the pipework coming off the "tree" at the back of the manifold.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back