Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie Sport Crono & PASM (PSM) essential

PetrolthreadsPete

Hi all,

On the lookout for a 997 C2S approx £25-£30k and I wondered what are considered the must have spec items, and what exactly Sport Crono & PASM does.

I am assuming Sports Crono is similar to a "Sport" button in my old M3 & RS$ i.e. more aggressive engine mapping/throttle responce and that PASM is active suspension but does it effect the seat etc.?

Help appreciated

I'd go for Sports Chrono and PSE (sports exhaust) :thumb:

Both are 'must have's' imo

PASM is standard on the "S" variants and is the adjustable suspension damping (Sport/Comfort).

SportChrono is almost worthless on a non-PDK, non-Turbo.

It remaps the throttle pedal so 25% movement = 40% throttle opening.

No more power is developed for NA (non-Turbo) vehicles.

Unless you have problems extending your ankle the rest of the way, not very useful.

If you really want it, you can have "Sport" mode officially retrofitted by OPC for circa £500 (less the carriage clock carbuncle).

sportmode_271.jpg

PSE is a must (although Haywood and Scott etc will give you an aftermarket equivalent, less the valving, but voiding of any Porsche warranty, so only consider this if you have no OPC warranty to lose)

PS - :welcome:

PetrolthreadsPete said:
Hi all,

On the lookout for a 997 C2S approx £25-£30k and I wondered what are considered the must have spec items, and what exactly Sport Crono & PASM does.

I am assuming Sports Crono is similar to a "Sport" button in my old M3 & RS$ i.e. more aggressive engine mapping/throttle responce and that PASM is active suspension but does it effect the seat etc.?

Help appreciated

Hi welcome to the forum. For your budget, you are probably looking for a Gen I car with the 3824cc engine, 355PS (350bhp). Must have items probably include a Sports Exhaust system (PSE). Sport Chrono is a fancy laptimer that sits on top of the dashboard in the centre. PASM are the active dampers in the car and is standard on the S model. You have a choice of two settings, standard and firm. Standard is used most of the time by many 997 owners on here with only the firm setting used on a track or any other smooth piece of tarmac if travelling at high speed. The 'Sport' is different from the Sport Chrono in that it sharpens the throttle response. If the car happens to have PSE as well, then pressing the Sport button will also activate the PSE. PASM does not affect the seat settings. You can find a car with the optional Adaptive Sport seats where you are able to adjust the side bolsters and whatnot.

Good luck in your search - it's a lot of fun in itself as no two 997's are exactly alike given the amount of optional extras Porsche flooded the customer with at the time.

~ Maxie :thumb:

Brilliant feedback, thank you, I always found the throttle mapping M button on my M3 was totally pointless but the press I have read really talks up the sports crono which is always prefixed with "desirable"

so it's a C2S with PSE I need, now the question is one of pre-purchase inspection and warranty, again advice appreciated

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back