Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RS light weight flywheel and clutch

ollster

Montreal
Has anyone got an rs light weight flywheel and clutch fitted to a pre vario car. Mine is currently at 9M for a steering rack refurb and whilst its on the lift waiting im having the issue investigated where i find it jerky to drive in traffic and also get quite a lot of shunt. Now the car has new engine mounts and i cleaned the isv last year so doubt they are the issue but the boys from 9m seem to think it could be the dual mass flywheel getting tired.

If this is the case im tempted with the RS light weight flywheel and clutch but dont really want stalling issue or something that sounds like a can on marbles!

I'm having one fitted on Monday (to a Vario car), so I'll be able to let you know how much louder it is next week. Apparently it does chatter more, but not so loudly it's annoying (I hope!).

The non-Vario cars need to have a remap to ensure the car doesn't stall too easily. Apparently you can also adjust the ISV to lift the idle speed.

This thread on RL gives some great insights into different experiences when fitting to VR and non-VR cars:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/993-forum/476089-has-anyone-regreted-changing-to-the-lwf.html

I have the RS LWT flywheel/clutch fitted to my pre-VR.

Yes, I do get the occasional stall when slowing down to a junction - the trick seems to be (for me, at least) to not declutch until the engine speed has reduced to 2k or less - otherwise the remaining revs die too quickly and the ISV/ECU can't "catch" it (and it drops below the idle speed and stalls - if this does happen, just release the clutch to bump-start it again).

There is also a noticable increase in mechanical gear noise/chatter when pulling away from a standstill, but not when changing gear on the move.

Personally, I consider these two points to be mere further idiosyncrasies to the car's already colourful character - and the improved acceleration more than enough recompense.

cyruspower said:
The non-Vario cars need to have a remap to ensure the car doesn't stall too easily.
To say that a remap is necessary is a bit of an overstatement - but you will need to adapt your declutching technique slightly.

Chris993C4 said:
cyruspower said:
The non-Vario cars need to have a remap to ensure the car doesn't stall too easily.
To say that a remap is necessary is a bit of an overstatement - but you will need to adapt your declutching technique slightly.

Sorry for the overstatement.

Personally I'd prefer to have the car remapped as I'd worry less about having to manage the stalling issue, which would annoy the crap out of me.

Plus the increase from 275 to 300+ bhp is a nice addition to the mod if you go and see Wayne at Chipwizards.

thanks for the input, im still in two minds it sounds like a splippery slope!

I have the LWF on a non VR car, and it doesn't stall. The ecu has been altered, but its not a straight issue of raising the idle speed. For the first 20-30s when the engine is really cold, it's as if the car blips the throttle itself. This disappears after 30s to give an even idle once the engine is slightly warmer.

There is slightly more gearbox chatter at idle, but I don't find it unpleasant or intrusive. In fact I quite like the more mechanical growl. It will give a very loud chatter if pulling away at low speed in a higher gear e.g. 20mph in 4th. However dropping a cog or two will allow you to get around this issue. On the move, I don't notice any additional noise.

The extra responsiveness of the engine is what I really appreciate from this mod.

I'm really looking forward to the additional chatter and responsiveness. A totally stock 993 is a bit quiet for me too, so anything to add to the drama is great.

RS LWF + G50-21 + c310bhp = :clap:

Hi

I also find that the standard car is a little too refined. I have just removed the engine sound pad. If the engine was actually in the car I would report on the difference removing the sound pad has or has not made.

All the best

Berni

Chris993C4 said:
.....it drops below the idle speed and stalls - if this does happen, just release the clutch to bump-start it again.....

Chris , I may be wrong , but I believe it's not good to bump start your engine .. It can cause damage to the cat ....

ballcock said:
Chris993C4 said:
.....it drops below the idle speed and stalls - if this does happen, just release the clutch to bump-start it again.....

Chris , I may be wrong , but I believe it's not good to bump start your engine .. It can cause damage to the cat ....
Whilst it's certainly true that the cat can be damaged by unburnt fuel, it isn't an issue because the engine restarts immediately - far, far quicker than starting with the key (which does pass unburnt fuel through the cat)...

Fair nuf .. :thumbs:

ollster said:
Has anyone got an rs light weight flywheel and clutch fitted to a pre vario car. Mine is currently at 9M for a steering rack refurb and whilst its on the lift waiting im having the issue investigated where i find it jerky to drive in traffic and also get quite a lot of shunt. Now the car has new engine mounts and i cleaned the isv last year so doubt they are the issue but the boys from 9m seem to think it could be the dual mass flywheel getting tired.

If this is the case im tempted with the RS light weight flywheel and clutch but dont really want stalling issue or something that sounds like a can on marbles!

Mine developed quite a bit of shunt over time. Tried new engine mounts, cleaned the isv etc, a bit better but still prominently there.

I had a major service including leads and rotor arms but the dizzy caps were out of stock at the time. The car still shunted at this point.

The car went back to have the dizzy caps fitted and the shunting vanished.

It might be worth looking at this area first to check their condition. You might get away with a couple of hundred quid as opposed to a new clutch a fly wheel bill.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back