Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

930 Model advice

quins

looking at buying 930 Turbo, been a car I have always admired, would appreciate any advice on do's and dont's and models to avoid in this range.

Been considering a 1980 930 3.3L Turbo Coupe, 4 speed box black 40 k miles = 29k.

Is there a big advantage on having 5 sp box on this car?

Just seen massive swings and differences in price and would like to have some feed back from owners.

Currently have Lotus Exige S, great performance and car, but would like a classic car for more fun.

Andy

Congratulations on your choice, the 930 is a true classic icon, and a beast with it.
First, don't worry about how many gears, the 930 is an old fashioned classic anyway, so 4 or 5 dosen't make a lot of difference, 5 speed was only available in the last year of manufacture 1989.

After your exige, the 930 will drive like a block of flats, just think of the Turbo as a "Point and squirt" machine and the power and grip is great fun.

Don't assume a low mileage car will be free of engine problems, over time engine studs corrode and may well need replacing, so it is important to know if this has been done.

Like all older cars, rust and accidents are your main worry. Better to buy as expensive and mint as you can, because cheaper examples can work out a lot of money to make mint. Good luck!

Well a few thoughts for you, Top end has that been done?.
The four speed five speed thing will never go away. If you find a good four or five speed 930 buy it?.
However I never notice my 930 has only four gears.
After all is does nearly 90mph in second gear?.
Shocks , bushes, heater exchanges,oil pipes, brakes. Colour of the 930 inside and out. Most people want black , white 930's come sell time.
Is it a weekend car?. Are you handy with a set of spanners?. Running cost each year looking at £2k even on low miles .
Things get worn out and need replacing, one of the biggest problems with 930's are some people buy them and spend no money on there upkeep.
Then sooner of later a owner down the line, has to spend money to put things right. However most come up for sale due to the above reason and a lot of worn 930's come up for sale. Small service looking at £200-£300 big one between £600 -£1000.
I looked at 12 so called good ones and a five year search .
Its a very small market for a buyer and a seller you must really want one.

On the plus side, there value is going up each year. I would not get one now for what I paid for mine five years ago. You have a 930 you have to spend money on it. Go for a soild base one, they all need work and money spent on them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back