Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thanks. New RS engine mounts

Trap 125

Spa-Francorchamps
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info from everybody with regards to fitting new engine mounts. It's really great that so many people take the time to share their knowledge. It made it such a simple job.

I fitted new RS mounts this morning. Just back from a quick test drive:

My gear change from 1st to 2nd has most definitely improved. No more crunching when cold or having to make a slow and deliberate change. That alone is worth the change of mounts. I was sceptical whether there would be a difference due to various reports but in my case there really is an improvement. Very happy.

When sitting in the car at idle, previously I could feel myself being rocked about by the engine but now that has been reduced vastly.

I didn't really notice any more vibration from within the car when driving. There was probably a little more from the rear at first but it seemed to settle down.

The rear of the car now feels more precise and predictable. If you want to induce oversteer it now feels a lot more 'crisper' - less of a wait from the initial inputs to the oversteer occurring. There seems to be more precise feed back.

Many thanks again for making this such a simple and worthwhile job. :thumbs:

Great news mate.
I need to do the same.
What other bits did you need to fit the RS mounts? apart from the mounts.
also where did you get them from?
Thanks
Baj

I got all the nuts bolts and washers for the mounts as below. The whole lot, inc the mounts, was approx £275 - I got everything from my local OPC.

964 375 043 81 RS engine mounts x 2
901 305 311 00 Seat x 4
999 025 134 02 washer x 4
999 025 074 02 washer x 4
900 082 030 02 M12 hex head bolt x 2
900 074 134 02 hex head bolt x 4
999 084 215 09 M12 lock nut x 2

Thanks
That will save me some time.
Is that price inc vat?

Yeh, that was inc vat.

Mmm, not sure now whether to go for C4 or RS engine mounts now on my C2... :?: :?:

I know there's supposed to be more NVH but is it really that noticeable? I understand that there's also no need for the RS engine carrier if you're not doing track work :dont know:

Glad the RS mounts worked out well, they really do tie everything up very nicely. If you haven't done the RS short shift and shift rod yet, then I reckon you'll love that too (if you have a C2, as the C4 needs additional work to fit).

The NVH is minimal really and the slight increase is nothing bad, you just feel more of what the car is doing.

davidjf7 said:
Mmm, not sure now whether to go for C4 or RS engine mounts now on my C2... :?: :?:

I know there's supposed to be more NVH but is it really that noticeable? I understand that there's also no need for the RS engine carrier if you're not doing track work :dont know:

I've really not found the NVH to be that noticeable - I was expecting it to be more but there is hardly any difference.

I believe the same as far as the engine carrier is concerned. I really dont think a few track days would do any harm at all. The RS mounts are made of rubber (they are not solid) and there is still a good amount of flex in them, all be it less than the standard mounts.

I had the same dilemma as you over C4 or RS. I'm now happy that I went with the RS, I really like the simplicity of them - that's not to say I wouldn't have been happy with the C4! I'm sure they are both a good choice.

cyruspower said:
Glad the RS mounts worked out well, they really do tie everything up very nicely. If you haven't done the RS short shift and shift rod yet, then I reckon you'll love that too (if you have a C2, as the C4 needs additional work to fit).

The NVH is minimal really and the slight increase is nothing bad, you just feel more of what the car is doing.

I would love to do the short shift and shift rod - it's on my list! But first of all I'm going to go down the murky route of a suspension upgrade!

Trap 125 said:
cyruspower said:

I would love to do the short shift and shift rod - it's on my list! But first of all I'm going to go down the murky route of a suspension upgrade!

OK, I guess we should close the thread then! :wink:

PM me if you want any info on my experiences of suspension.

cyruspower said:
OK, I guess we should close the thread then! :wink:

PM me if you want any info on my experiences of suspension.

:grin: Thanks! I'll take you up on that when the time comes (hopefully in the summer) :thumbs:

Trap 125 said:
davidjf7 said:

I've really not found the NVH to be that noticeable - I was expecting it to be more but there is hardly any difference.

I believe the same as far as the engine carrier is concerned. I really dont think a few track days would do any harm at all. The RS mounts are made of rubber (they are not solid) and there is still a good amount of flex in them, all be it less than the standard mounts.

I had the same dilemma as you over C4 or RS. I'm now happy that I went with the RS, I really like the simplicity of them - that's not to say I wouldn't have been happy with the C4! I'm sure they are both a good choice.

Thanks - think I'm tempted by the RS route now :thumb:

I'd just like to say that what many of you think is a straightforward job is way beyond the abilities of some of us! :oops:

I have read nearly every engine mount thread on this site and got quite excited at the prospect of doing something myself, so easy was it claimed to be!! I then read the in-depth thread about how you go about it! :eh!:

I wouldn't get past Step 1
:D

What is more worrying is that I asked my OPC today to check them and to fit C4 mounts if there was a problem.

They rang me back to say that the exhaust hadn't dropped so they were probably ok and that in any event the C4 mount was not a replacement part.

They said I could either have a C2 or a C4 Cab, or an RS!!!

That doesn't seem to fit with what I have read on here and I know which version I am minded to accept. :?:

I drive a C2S, but I suspect that makes no difference at all to the advice I have read on here re) switching to C4 mounts. I was also told by the OPC that they were the same price which again conflicts with the accumulated wisdom of the Board.

I have always stayed with the OPC and they have never really let me down, but the 993s are now so redundant to their operation that you get the impression that they are not as educated or as bothered in respect of them. The guy I was speaking to is simply looking at a computer screen.

Luckily if I decide to switch, I seem to be very well served by independents in this area.

:thumb:

C4 mounts are far less to buy than C2 ones!

Hello bud. Believe me swapping out the mounts really is an easy job! Just jack the engine a bit via the crankcase(only enough to support the weight), pop the caps from underside the carrier to access the bolts on the main threads, undo bolts, undo both bolts holding mount to body and reverse for re-installation. Really takes under an hour per side!.....

I have never heard that you cannpt use c4 mounts in an s?? I have a NB and I have C4 mounts in mine. They are ace-so much better than the worn out c2 items they replaced. I chose them as they are stiffer but not rs stiff and a lot cheaper than the c2 ones.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back