Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Porsche 911 is just Por-fect by Richard Hammond

Porsche News

Pioneering gearbox puts new model into seventh heaven

The technical reason for fitting the new Porsche 911 with a seven-speed manual gearbox is to lower emissions and boost economy.

It is the world's first 7-ratio manual. Ah yes, there are seven-speed semi-automatic gearboxes but not a proper manual with a clutch worked by your foot and not a robot.

There is another reason, though I doubt this was high on the Porsche engineers' priorities list, and that's because it gives you an extra cog as you scream up the gears to the red line.

Our test car is a Carrera S which, bought with no bells and whistles, costs £81,242. But no one ever pays the minimum and Porsche never makes a test car for the press that doesn't have loads of gizmos.

This one has got £11,500 worth of extras. Most you could do without, but not the £1,772 Sports Exhaust. To not buy a 911 with this would be as daft as requesting that the car come with only three wheels.

I've got a sports exhaust on my 911. Mine's a type 997, which is the model that's just been replaced by this new 991. Porsche would probably like me to chop my car in f or a new one, but there's nothing wrong with mine.

There can't be because I've owned it for six years which is a record for me – by about five years. But it is rather tempting because the new 911 is even better than the old one.

Look at the photographs and the latest 911 could be a simple facelift. The graphics on the engine lid at the back are different and so are the lights front and back, but it's pretty subtle.

Porsche hasn't messed it's iconic overall shape but the car is completely different from its predecessor.

It's bigger for one thing. The new 911 is 56mm longer, 6mm lower, the track is 50mm wider and the wheelbase is 100mm longer. The latter means that the threat to the children, 'If you're naughty you'll have to sit in the back of mummy's/daddy's 911" is not as scary because there's more rear space for kids (but don't think about taking mates further than the pub in it).

Bigger hasn't meant heavier because Porsche has put the 911 on a diet by recycling aluminium saucepans from the factory canteen and using them in the body. Probably. The result is a car is 40kg lighter.

You'll notice more of a difference inside the Porsche than outside. There's more space in the front, but also there are more buttons. It's still tidy, just busier with more things to twiddle.

Now, out the back is a flat-six engine. It's not greatly changed, just a bit more powerful – 400bhp in the Carrera S up from 386bhp – and more economical. Top speed is 189mph and 0-62mph takes 4.5sec.

Because having seven gears is almost as complicated as finding your way around Venice without a map, Porsche has provided a gear indicator.

The gearbox is also pretty clever because it won't let you change into seventh gear (which gives you 70mph on the motorway at 2,000rpm) unless you've been through 5th and 6th gear.

One of the great improvements is the lack of tyre noise when cruising along the motorway. There's less wind noise, too. And it feels more stable.

The Porsche also rides more smoothly, even with the Sport Plus button. In the past pressing this button has firmed up the suspension and sent a text message to the nearest Porsche-approved chiropractor.

Now the car stiffens up, but not to a ridiculous level that one of those Indian blokes who sleeps on a bed of nails would find uncomfortable.

The new car is also fitted with ­electric power steering. The purists were worried the legendary tight 911 steering would now be as floppy as the elastic on an old pair of pants. They needn't have worried as the 911 steers perfectly.

Porsche has made a new 911 that 911 lovers will like, and one that people who have never liked the car, might like. It's the old one, but it's still brilliant.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/new-porsche-911-is-just-por-fect-673336

Attachments

• 991hammond_119.jpg
    991hammond_119.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 13,110
like the article :thumbs: - better than that bloke from Top Gear with public hair :judge:

Porsche News said:

I've got a sports exhaust on my 911. Mine's a type 997, which is the model that's just been replaced by this new 991. Porsche would probably like me to chop my car in f or a new one, but there's nothing wrong with mine.

There can't be because I've owned it for six years which is a record for me – by about five years. But it is rather tempting because the new 911 is even better than the old one.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/new-porsche-911-is-just-por-fect-673336

Yep good article, and good to hear he's very happy with his 997 which I believe is a Gen 1 Carrera S. He'll have traded in for a 991 within the year I reckon ...

:D

Porsche News said:

It is the world's first 7-ratio manual.

It's bigger for one thing. The new 911 is 56mm longer, 6mm lower, the track is 50mm wider and the wheelbase is 100mm longer.

So, major changes. First, an eight-speed gearbox, unless they've deleted reverse.

My only experience of a seven-speed box is a friend's Ford Whatever, which he says has increased the diameter of his left thigh. It's a diesel, so he can't jump gears, of course, unless he wants to go really slow.

(It also shares the 991's 'stop-at-the-lights' engine feature which, in a diesel, is a juddering affair.)

As for the 991's size, it is noticeably bigger than the 997, especially when you look over your left shoulder from the driving seat and see how much room there is in the back.

A 2" longer & wider body, with a 4" longer wheelbase, is a lot. Is Porsche using this to aim at its bigger competitors in the market, do you think?

The new car is also fitted with ­electric power steering. The purists were worried the legendary tight 911 steering would now be as floppy as the elastic on an old pair of pants. They needn't have worried as the 911 steers perfectly.

Funny, he said the exact opposite on Top Gear.

ABZ911 said:

Funny, he said the exact opposite on Top Gear.

Be fair. He's a journalist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back