Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whats the new 3.4 Carrera like? which options?

jetstream

Hi all
What are the views of the standard Carrera 3.4? By the time the 3.8s has been through the options list it commands a hefty price tag. I quite like the standard 3.4 Carrera in silver with the standard wheels. Would also be happy with the manual box and maybe PSE but what other options would you consider adding to improve the car but keeping the total cost of the car well under 80K. What would be your preferences?

Many thanks
Jetstream ( new member )

I've not seen any reviews (or even comments) on the 3.4, but personally I quite like the idea of a 3.4 with manual box, 19s and maybe sports exhaust / sports suspension and nothing else, but I suspect a dealer would persuade you very hard to stop being silly and add a load more options! :frustrated:

I'm not even sure any 3.4s have been supplied to either dealers or customers yet, did I read March 2012 for first deliveries or am I mistaken...?

Hi Thanks for your thoughts. I t won't let me select sports suspension unless I select 20" wheels and a few other options which starts pushing the price towards the 3.8s. The following spec is what I've got in mind:
3.4 in silver
19" wheels
Black/dk grey interior
PASM which lowers the height by 10mm
sports exhaust
rear wiper
cruise control
Auto dimming mirrors
heated seats (maybe)

What do you think?

defo shipping as a guy on here posted pics of his white one a few weeks ago, would be good to hear his thoughts.

I (and my wallet!) also like the idea of a vanilla 991 C2, with just an upgrade to the 20s as the 19s may look a little lost, oh and then maybe the PASM....oops....see what theyre doing..

Also anyone out they used the manual? every review / post - PDK.

defo shipping as a guy on here posted pics of his white one a few weeks ago, would be good to hear his thoughts.

I (and my wallet!) also like the idea of a vanilla 991 C2, with just an upgrade to the 20s as the 19s may look a little lost, oh and then maybe the PASM....oops....see what theyre doing..

Also anyone out they used the manual? every review / post - PDK.

jetstream said:
Hi Thanks for your thoughts. I t won't let me select sports suspension unless I select 20" wheels and a few other options which starts pushing the price towards the 3.8s. The following spec is what I've got in mind:
3.4 in silver
19" wheels
Black/dk grey interior
PASM which lowers the height by 10mm
sports exhaust
rear wiper
cruise control
Auto dimming mirrors
heated seats (maybe)

What do you think?

Looks good, my fav colour /trim combo - personally I would swap out the sports exhaust for the 20s - thats just my preference for large rims vrs large noise! Throw in the phone prep and debadge and its done!

Hi

I don't think I would spec the rear wiper either. It will look better without it and you probably will not ever use it.

Apply a coat of rain repellent on it and your sorted.

Regards
G

The problem for me is that I'd be happy with an absolute basic spec 991 Carrera in terms of the looks and the drive - i.e. no options other than power steering plus and cruise control (satnav is the other must-have for me but that's already in the price. My favourite colour combination is guards red with beige interior, both of which happen to be no-cost).

However, the problem I have is the price @ just under 72k. I wouldn't pay that money for that spec on that car, however I would pay around 50-55k used say 1 or 2 years old, or maybe 65k brand new on the road. So to me, the Carrera only makes sense as a used buy. If I wanted a new 991 badly enough now I would find the extra cash and go for an S. Which for me begs the question why did Porsche even bother with the Carrera in the UK at all, and also why they priced it so close to the S. Possibly to prop up used prices perhaps or limited company car tax advantages but other than that the car doesn't make any sense to me at all.

:?:

Bearing in mind that I'm not in a position to buy a new 991 right now (!!) so this is just a bit of fun, I just had a play on the configurator and specced this one up for £75,346;

911 Carrera (£64,722.00)

Exterior Colour - Guards Red (£0.00)
Interior Colour - Agate Grey/Pebble Grey Bi-Colour leather interior (£2,606.00)
Manual Transmission (£0.00)
19-inch Carrera wheel (£0.00)
Deletion of model designation (£0.00)

Top tinted windscreen (£77.00)
Sports exhaust system (£1,772.00)
Porsche Active Suspension Management (£1,133.00)

Guards Red seat belts (£275.00)
Sports seats plus (£312.00)
Two-tone leather interior (£0.00)

Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (£1,140.00)
Porsche Communication Management including navigation module (£2,120.00)

3rd Year Porsche Assistance (£169.00)
3rd Year Warranty (£1,020.00)

Total Price* £ 75,346.00

Cheeky so-and-so's won't let me delete the top-tint windscreen (erm, why?), sat-nav, the VTS or any of the Porsche Assist / warranty stuff so they have to stay, and you can't spec the -20mm sports suspension without going for 20" wheels which is a shame (although hopefully the PASM lowers it a little, otherwise I'd bin that too).

I'd be happy with that... :thumb:

EDITED TO ADD: the 19" Carrera wheels are actually my favourite of the 5 available; not keen on any of the 20" wheels personally...

Attachments

• guards_991_carrera_171.jpg
    guards_991_carrera_171.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 9,000
  • guards_991_interior_176.jpg
    guards_991_interior_176.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 9,000
Looks very nice and the price hasn't got silly either. I can understand why some would prefer the 3.8s ( as so would I ) but its an extra 10k for the basic car and you wouldn't be able to hold back on the options as much; which would push the price well in excess of 90k and nearer 95k. Can't see too many comming up on the secondhand market very soon. So if you want a new 911 and money won't stretch for the S it the standard Carrera with around 5k's worth of options the way to go? :?:

jetstream said:
Looks very nice and the price hasn't got silly either. I can understand why some would prefer the 3.8s ( as so would I ) but its an extra 10k for the basic car and you wouldn't be able to hold back on the options as much; which would push the price well in excess of 90k and nearer 95k. Can't see too many comming up on the secondhand market very soon. So if you want a new 911 and money won't stretch for the S it the standard Carrera with around 5k's worth of options the way to go? :?:

I think so. The 'only' thing you'd then be missing is the more powerful engine, and the Carrera isn't that much slower than the S in real terms. On a track it would be a different story but how many of these will see a track? In fact the 991 Carrera has 350BHP, the same as a 997 gen 1 C2S, and the car is lighter than the old C2S I think. So whether you take a Carrera on an S you'd still be 'up' on the old (gen 1) 997.

I would hesitate over the manual. The engine looks quite peaky - max torque is up at 5,600 rpm. With that overdrive 7th gear, I suspect you would be changing down just to keep up with motorway traffic.
Not that it matters but it caught my eye that the capacity is exactly the same as the new Boxster S. Do they in fact share the same engine, just detuned for the Boxster?

I thought the 981 Boxster S is going be a 3.2....?

~ Maxie :?:

Specs already released, and basic engine blocks carried over:

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/boxster/

Boxster is 2,706 cm³
Boxster S is 3,436 cm³

The latter being identical in displacement to the 991 3.4.

The output is de-tuned though:

232 kW (315 hp) vs 257 kW (350 hp)
360 Nm vs 390 Nm

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back