Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 26
997 : 2004- 85
996 : 1997-2005 47
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 5
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 20
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

bazhart
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but all thermostats are open when a vehicle is in use (or the engine wouold boil over even with granny driving it) and I don;t see how granny driving has anything to do with either us trying to get an even lower temperature thermostat for racing (and therefore proves our understanding of what we need is right) and also shows that porsche appreciate the need to keep temperatures down when engines are worked hard as well. The wuestion is how much they are open as they controk coolant speed/flow and through that temperature.

I think we know enough to realise the engines are different (that is why I want to get on to see if I can fit it) but thank youf or pointing it out to others.

If the GT3 cup car relied totally on the thermostat being fully open all the time it was racing it would run at different temperatures depending on the ambient conditions and I doubt that would be a sensible way to go anyway - but need to test it and I will report back if I can get one and fit it.

one reason to use a low temperature thermostat in a race car is also to ensure it is flowing when you set off at the start and not experiencing a delay while the "system" cathces up.

Baz

You can trust us to "CARE FOR YOUR PORSCHE"
www.hartech.org

berni29
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have followed a few threads on the problems with the 997, and wonder if an electric water pump that is not engine speed dependent might help?

All the best

Berni
993 C2 Tip 1994 187k miles. Black and Grey. M029 & Bilstein HD's, Elephant Racing RS bushes F&R, RS mounts, strengthened engine carrier, 100 cell cat inserts, HID's. Solid steering arms mod, top of the engine rebuilt, mapped by Wayne, suspension set up by Chris.

GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, the road-going GT3 uses exactly the same thermostatic insert as the Carrera (996.106.125).

The use of a 55°C thermostat will simply mean the radiators (and ambient temp, air etc etc they are heat exchanging into) will start defining the thermal characteristics of the cooling above 55°C (and fully define above 69°C), rather than above 93°C (fully above 99°C) as they do for the standard tstat.

Unless the entire car is covered in radiators in a blizzard in Norway, the engine will still comfortably exceed 55°C water temp (higher for the oil).

The tstat operating regime always represents the lower limit of temperature (ie the car will effectively shut down coolant flow AT and BELOW this temp and maintain the block temp).

Red993C4
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazhart wrote:
Sorry but all thermostats are open when a vehicle is in use (or the engine wouold boil over even with granny driving it) and I don;t see how granny driving has anything to do with either us trying to get an even lower temperature thermostat for racing (and therefore proves our understanding of what we need is right) and also shows that porsche appreciate the need to keep temperatures down when engines are worked hard as well. The wuestion is how much they are open as they controk coolant speed/flow and through that temperature.

I think we know enough to realise the engines are different (that is why I want to get on to see if I can fit it) but thank youf or pointing it out to others.

If the GT3 cup car relied totally on the thermostat being fully open all the time it was racing it would run at different temperatures depending on the ambient conditions and I doubt that would be a sensible way to go anyway - but need to test it and I will report back if I can get one and fit it.

one reason to use a low temperature thermostat in a race car is also to ensure it is flowing when you set off at the start and not experiencing a delay while the "system" cathces up.

Baz

I highlighted the different operating conditions in road and racing cars because you seemed to be implying that the Cup's thermostat might also have been a better choice for 996/997 road cars.

"I must try and get one of those thermostats and see how to fit in in the race car 1st then a road car for test (we still have one of the test cars with temperature gauges fitted all over the engine).

However it also questions why such a high rated thermostat in the road cars?

............. - weird when it appears they already know what to do when they go racing!"

A Cup car has no problems getting up to temperature on track, but the famous granny might complain about poor heater and demister performance when driving to Walmart in a Minnesota winter if the car was fitted with a thermostat which opened below 60°C. And it's not just about emissions, as witnessed by the fact that cars were fitted with thermostats long before emission tests were introduced.

Red993C4
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazhart wrote:

Baz

I highlighted the different operating conditions in road and racing cars because you seemed to be implying that the Cup's thermostat might also have been a better choice for 996/997 road cars.

"I must try and get one of those thermostats and see how to fit in in the race car 1st then a road car for test (we still have one of the test cars with temperature gauges fitted all over the engine).

However it also questions why such a high rated thermostat in the road cars?

............. - weird when it appears they already know what to do when they go racing!"

A Cup car has no problems getting up to temperature on track, but the famous granny might complain about poor heater and demister performance when driving to Walmart in a Minnesota winter if the car was fitted with a thermostat which opened below 60°C. And it's not just about emissions, as witnessed by the fact that cars were fitted with thermostats long before emission tests were introduced.

GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I don't think Baz was suggesting there weren't thermostats before emissions tests, nor is he suggesting fitting no thermostat.

The question is why is the standard thermostat set so high (and it is lower on the later expensively engineered 997 DFI), the reason the high temp tstats are fitted to the 996 and 997 is they are a quick, cheap and guaranteed way to reduce headline arbitrary secondary emissions (like NOx etc) at the point of production, the downside is the long term health of the engine some years latter.

Can't disagree with the analogy of the dawdling granny in Minnesota, except for the fact perhaps she shouldn't drive a Porsche (or perhaps Porsche shouldn't have engineered a car for her, or under-engineered a car just to meet arbitrary emissions).

Seve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry if my post seems trivial but you are still debating the 996.2 engine?
I ask, because I have read on this forum that the 996.1 has no over heating issues. If that's the case why did gt4 and other fit the hartech tstatt, is it to improve performance, fuel economy?

bye

GT4
Nordschleife
Nordschleife

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because (within reason), you can never be too cool Cool

Whist the 996.1 has a much lower propensity to bore scoring (due to torque, cylinder bore and piston stroke difference and less thermal energy than the 996.2s) it also has better intrinsic cooling to prevent bore scoring or head cooking thanks to a proportional flowed water jacket (hottest and last chambers/cylinders get the most coolant flow - eg cyls 3 and 6 get THREE TIMES the flow rate of cyls 1 and 4), it can still benefit from running cooler.

Specifically, GT4 has three radiators (ie plus the extra X51 centre radiator), using the old tstat means that centre rad (and indeed the original rads) have NO effect on cooling prior to 99°C (single sampling location water temp).

So if I want my car to run cooler, benefit from the extra rads in normal use (and indeed benefit from the extra rads in a temperature regime well away from borderline cooking my heads), I need to fit a low temp tstat.

Any extra fuel economy and power, is surely just a bonus to the healthier engine Thumb

Seve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok understand, thanks gt4 for the explination thumbsup

bazhart
Approved Trader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also of course the Cup car rating means that on a very cool day - Porsche think it is OK to race an engine with relatively cool cylinders (which is what we explained in section 5 although several others disagreed wanting the cars to run hotter) and I stated the ideal temperatures for racing for maximum performance and it seems the cup cars run similar temperatures.

The whole point is that any engine producing more power than a similar engine of similar capacity will be experiencing more heat in the combustion chamber and therefore be running closer to the temperatures that can initiate detonation. The way this was protected in the past was to run the engine rich so that even in those areas inside the conbustion area where the distribution of fuel is a little weak - it does not reach the detonation point.

However this also leads to high emissions by modern standard and GT4 is absolutely spot on with his understanding and running higher cylinder /head temperatures is a way to reduce them again at the outlet side where they are measured (and more in keeping with the spirit of the reduction than bleeding air in to reduce the % but actually still sending the same weight of emissions into the atmosphere).

It just seems that in the bigger more powerful versions with the head gasket that makes the cylinders run even hotter - they are so near the limit for lubrication that some go past it.

Testing out a racing thermostat is a road car does not mean I propose the use of it - just that all test information by comparison is useful in trying to sort out this problem created elsewhere to the detriment of the reputation of the product and the bank balance of many owners.

Baz

You can trust us to "CARE FOR YOUR PORSCHE"
www.hartech.org

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: