Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie looking for 997 C2S buying advice

Taz.A

Hi Guys,

I've recently joined the forum and have been scouring the plains for a black gen1 997 C2S. I've come across a really good looking one in black with black interior for a good price - only problem is that mileage is close to 100,000....

What do you guys think? Apparently this is mostly motorway miles and it's a 2005 so I guess that makes sense. It has a full Porsche service history and just had a major service (other question is what exactly does a major Porsche service give you?) I have around a £25k budget.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Taz

I would keep looking. There are plenty of car around at the moment and prices are only going one way. Have a look at pistonheads classifieds where there are quite a few cars with your required spec with nearly half the mileage. As others will say however buy on condition and make sure you get an full independent inspection so you don't end up with a dog. Also worth speaking to some of the independents who will source something for you I am sure. Best of luck with whatever you go for. :thumbs:

Hi Taz, welcome :thumbs: I second what Simonc says. If you can wait until late December (I heard best time to buy a car and negotiate a decent discount between Xmas and New Year) then with the same budget you could well buy the same car with lower mileage.

~ Maxie

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes it looks like I will be holding out a little longer for a lower mileage model. I do have to wait a while longer anyway as I'm selling my BMW Z4M to help fund the purchase.

Trouble is I'm very impatient and keep hearing that beautiful sounding exhaust in my head! :s

I've been doing some research on problems to look out for before buying and what kind of checks to do (111/PPI) but apart from those I haven't really found anything too specific apart from the Rear Main Seal. Is there a particular thread on here (that I have yet to find...) or any other serious defects I can spot or should be weary of buying a higher mileage car (probably around 60k).

Thanks for the welcome and I hope to be fully fledged owner soon! :)

:) Hi. I have been in a similar dilemma recently - see my thread below yours "buying advice 996 turbo". I do like the 997, it's a return in styling back to the fabulous 993. I was torn between 997 C2S & 996 C4S (didn't think i could really afford a turbo). But after doing loads of research I was put off a little with problems with engine failures on 996/997. I know it's rare, but it can happen and could be very expensive. Buy one, but i would buy one that has already had an engine replacement and which therefore should be covered with a porsche warrenty. Also get a PPI done on it - they can check engine abuse with a laptop etc. I also have the same budget as yourself and have just bought a black 2001 996 turbo with 54K miles, full OPC service history and bought from a very reputable independent Porsche dealer. The 996 turbo engine is derived from the GT1 engine which is a bit more robust than the standared 996.

If you are determined on a 997 as in other comments you're had, i would wait - come Dec or early next year you'll have a few to choose from.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back