Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying Advice on 996 Turbo

Andrew911

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi, I have owned a couple of Porsche's, last one was a 993 which I loved. But after a two year spell without a Porsche I am looking at owning one again. After loads of research/test drives I am looking at buying the 996 turbo. Although I'am guessing will be expensive to maintain I think it will prove to be a future classic. I have considered 997, 996 C4S, SL55 AMG - but they all seem to have their own achilles heel: 997/996 engine failures & RMS/IMS problems and boot leakage problems with SL's. The 996 turbo doesn't seem to share the same problems as it's other 996 cousins.

I am interested in an 01 plate 996 turbo, 55K miles, full OPC service history, but has had five previous owners which is a worry, but I do trust the dealer that is selling it. Any advice welcome.

Owning 2 of them, my advice is you need to factor in that at the age and mileage some things will need attention. These for the most part are unlikely to be things that are car stopping, but more age and mileage related. For instance on both our cars, ones done about 30k and the other 60k miles, the transmission mounts had worn and needed to be replaced. Both needed their front right lower control arms replaced. The higher mileage one also needed the top hats replaced. And shortly after receiving the 60k one it blew a couple of coolant housing pipes (the ones that are only glues and press fitted in), a bit scary at the time but after further research it is a known problem on the GT1 engines, and I noticed the other day a company in the states offereing a kit to overcome this issue. And on one of the Turbo's I've had frustrating issues with leaks in the rear spoiler system. So what I'm trying to say is that all these issues are just age and time related, and no matter how good the vehicle is stated as being there is only one time it is brand new and hopefully will require no work... and that's when it left the factory. If you move forward on that basis and are able to accept that it will require the odd thing doing to it and those odd things can sometimes add up... then just get on with life's opportunities, get one and enjoy it... and if something needs attention on the car down the track just get it sorted and accept it as part of the joys of owning a 10 year old supercar... :thumbs:

Interesting topic, I'm going to keep a close eye on it due to being in the same market.

Are there any 996 Turbo "buyers guides" out there? I'm not talking about the ones which are endorsed and require someone to cough up, more so the community/enthusiast buyers guide.

Kiwi said:
Owning 2 of them, my advice is you need to factor in that at the age and mileage some things will need attention. These for the most part are unlikely to be things that are car stopping, but more age and mileage related. For instance on both our cars, ones done about 30k and the other 60k miles, the transmission mounts had worn and needed to be replaced. Both needed their front right lower control arms replaced. The higher mileage one also needed the top hats replaced. And shortly after receiving the 60k one it blew a couple of coolant housing pipes (the ones that are only glues and press fitted in), a bit scary at the time but after further research it is a known problem on the GT1 engines, and I noticed the other day a company in the states offereing a kit to overcome this issue. And on one of the Turbo's I've had frustrating issues with leaks in the rear spoiler system. So what I'm trying to say is that all these issues are just age and time related, and no matter how good the vehicle is stated as being there is only one time it is brand new and hopefully will require no work... and that's when it left the factory. If you move forward on that basis and are able to accept that it will require the odd thing doing to it and those odd things can sometimes add up... then just get on with life's opportunities, get one and enjoy it... and if something needs attention on the car down the track just get it sorted and accept it as part of the joys of owning a 10 year old supercar... :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice. You are absolutely right. If I do buy this one it is a ten year old car and you have to expect some work will need doing on it probably every year. Hopefully this will be off-set by the fact it will hardly depreciate now. The dealer has also emailed me work carried out on the car over the last few years and it has had all the usual things done that you would expect and I what i would look out e.g discs/pads, rads, tyres, front suspension arms and a few bibs & bobs. So on the face of it it seems to have been well maintained & services etc. Having previously owned a 993, it gave me loads of fun, I always had a smile on my face when driving it but it did require the odd thing to be replaced over time. Can't wait! It has taken me many weeks to reach a decision on my next car and I'am sure it will be the 996 turbo.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back