Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 66
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Spaniel
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: OPC Byfleet Reply with quote

Following recommendations from others on here I had my car serviced there last week.

Have to say friendly staff and decent price (as per the sticky). Plus they referred every bit of potential work before carrying any out so I knew exactly what I was going to be paying out on top of the service.

More importantly I took comfort from the fact there were 8 other 993s in there at the same time.

So thanks for the referral. I didn't think my car would ever see an OPC stamp again Smile

tmilligan
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff.

I don't think mine will see a stamp from anyone other than Byfleet ever again!

orangecurry
Donuts For Windows

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pleased our recommendation worked for you.... it's difficult to gauge people's expectations.

They know what they are doing, they keep you informed and therefore allow you to make informed decisions - IMO that's what a garage is all about.

cyruspower
Paul Ricard

1996 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using them all year for parts after trying hard to make things happen with Reading previously. Tom and Michael in the parts department are great and really do go the extra mile to help out, even understanding my OCD tendencies when pushing things back if they aren't quite right.

I've been using Tognola for service work, but am debating whether to go to Byfleet as the pricing is so competitive and because of the great reports on service standards.

For example at my next service I need top mounts, inner tie rods and control arm bushes. Tognola have a full Beissbarth set up at their place and Greg is great at setting up a car to your requirements (much quicker and a better result than CG in my experience, having compared both back to back.)

Do Byfleet offer geo services to this standard and if so has anyone used them for a geo set up? Also, would they fit something like Elephant Racing bushes to my existing control arms, rather than wanting to fit new Porsche controls arms?

Mercedes E Class Wagon
Ducati 899 Panigale
KTM 990 Adventure

clinchy993
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orangecurry wrote:
Very pleased our recommendation worked for you.... it's difficult to gauge people's expectations.

They know what they are doing, they keep you informed and therefore allow you to make informed decisions - IMO that's what a garage is all about.

And the coffee is nice Grin

wagonface
Barcelona

1991 Porsche 964 Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does their pricing on 964 work compare to GT One? I'm in Esher so I think OPC Byfleet are actually closer. I had vowed never to use an OPC again after the hell of Chiswick, but I do know that Byfleet are a completely different ballgame.

I just want someone that knows a (modified) 964T inside out and is reasonable value - the OPC stamp means absolutely nothing to me.

Anyone got experience of OPC Byfleet and GT One and care to contrast and compare?

James Hunt
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byfleet = 8/10 IMO...

They carried out the loom recall for me a few months ago. They did an average job (they failed to replace the intake rubber sleeve). Parts were costly, or would have been if I hadnt of phoned them and reminded them to use aftermarket parts where they were required as I had the plugs, rotors,caps, leads done at the same time). However the response to the recall was A1 and the customer service was good. The coffe and reading material was excellent!! Lol!!

clinchy993
Long Beach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyruspower wrote:
I have been using them all year for parts after trying hard to make things happen with Reading previously. Tom and Michael in the parts department are great and really do go the extra mile to help out, even understanding my OCD tendencies when pushing things back if they aren't quite right.

I've been using Tognola for service work, but am debating whether to go to Byfleet as the pricing is so competitive and because of the great reports on service standards.

For example at my next service I need top mounts, inner tie rods and control arm bushes. Tognola have a full Beissbarth set up at their place and Greg is great at setting up a car to your requirements (much quicker and a better result than CG in my experience, having compared both back to back.)

Do Byfleet offer geo services to this standard and if so has anyone used them for a geo set up? Also, would they fit something like Elephant Racing bushes to my existing control arms, rather than wanting to fit new Porsche controls arms?

Sam they fitted my Powerflex bushes as I had not time to do them on the 993 and did a good job on the front of the cars GEO I was told the rear was fine and my tyre wear is testament to that the car felt great when I got it back and you know I like to push it

I do not know what equipment they use though

Question

Armes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was introduced to Byfleet via the aircooled day in which they offered free checks, organised by this site.

I have since used them for a major service and list of other things and found them to be knowledgeable and friendly and I will use them again. I had four new tyres fited though and the badges on the caps no longer align with the tyre valves something that the OPC I had used before did make sure was done properly.

Very minor issue and one I can sort out myself but makes all the diference IMHO.

911UK
Porsche Community
Porsche Community

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyruspower wrote:

They do offer a fully geometry service and have significant Porsche race experience as well. Thumb

Worth trying to compare

FOLLOW 911UK ON TWITTER

sram
Albert Park

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armes wrote:
I was introduced to Byfleet via the aircooled day in which they offered free checks, organised by this site.

I have since used them for a major service and list of other things and found them to be knowledgeable and friendly and I will use them again. I had four new tyres fited though and the badges on the caps no longer align with the tyre valves something that the OPC I had used before did make sure was done properly.

Very minor issue and one I can sort out myself but makes all the diference IMHO.

I take it you're joking about the caps!!! Floor

I too was introduced via the 911 service clinic day. A few months later I then asked them to carry out a major service and rectify the rust on my wings and sills. They did a great job and were refreshing to deal with. I had assumed they would be high pressure trying to get me to have everything done by them but they were very relaxed and simply pointed out items that were wrong and listed them in order of priority. They had no problem when I voiced my preference for third party products over Porsche ones either due to quality or cost reasons.
This compares with a well-respected indy who now on two occasions has done hundreds of pounds worth of work without my authorisation. I turn up to collect the car and am given a figure which is far higher than was initially estimated or quoted and for work that was never discussed. Needless to say I have stopped using this indy although I've never read a bad thing about them so I wonder if Porsche owners just accept this type of behaviour from garages?

Stu
boo

Jack Frost
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sram wrote:
Armes wrote:

I too was introduced via the 911 service clinic day. A few months later I then asked them to carry out a major service and rectify the rust on my wings and sills. They did a great job and were refreshing to deal with. I had assumed they would be high pressure trying to get me to have everything done by them but they were very relaxed and simply pointed out items that were wrong and listed them in order of priority. They had no problem when I voiced my preference for third party products over Porsche ones either due to quality or cost reasons.
This compares with a well-respected indy who now on two occasions has done hundreds of pounds worth of work without my authorisation. I turn up to collect the car and am given a figure which is far higher than was initially estimated or quoted and for work that was never discussed. Needless to say I have stopped using this indy although I've never read a bad thing about them so I wonder if Porsche owners just accept this type of behaviour from garages?

Stu

Northway did this to me. Only £100 but it was unexpected.

sram
Albert Park

1995 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, this wasn't Northway but someone very close to them. The first service I had done they had done almost a grand's worth of work without my authorisation but because it was the first time I'd had it serviced I had stashed away bundles of cash just in case. I wasn't really that bothered at the time because I thought "well, if it needed to be done". But it nagged me for a while afterwards. Anyhow, I continued to use them for general odds and sods and another service. The breaking point for me was when they charged £150 for an MOT which included a 'pre MOT check'. WTF!?
boo

911UK
Porsche Community
Porsche Community

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Frost wrote:
sram wrote:
Armes wrote:

Stu

GT-One did that to me back in 2006 with an unnecessary £500 on my old 993, never used them since

FOLLOW 911UK ON TWITTER

davidjf7
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911UK wrote:
Jack Frost wrote:
sram wrote:
Armes wrote:

Stu

GT-One did that to me back in 2006 with an unnecessary £500 on my old 993, never used them since

A Land Rover dealer did this to me last year for our Discovery - extra £300 of unauthorised work. They knocked most of it back off the bill though when I complained so I'll give them another go this year. If they hadn't I wouldn't have gone near them again

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: