Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Porsche Design BlackBerry P''9981 Phone

s2000db

So for all us hard nut fans, there's now a PD phone, unfortunately it's a Blackberry so personally won't be partaking...

What do you think?

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/10/27/porsche_collaborates_with_rim_over_custom_blackberry/

pd_1.jpg

pd_2.jpg

RIM gave BlackBerry a lap of honour this week, announcing the speedy arrival of a smartphone crafted collaboratively with Porsche Design.

The BlackBerry P'9981, officially unveiled in Dubai today, rocks up looking rather edgy, with a brushed stainless steel casing and leather back panel.

The P'9981 resembles a luxury version of the BlackBerry Bold 9900 and runs BlackBerry 7 OS on a 1.2GHz processor and 768MB of Ram. There's also a 5Mp camera, NFC capabilities and 8GB of internal storage which, as usual, can be expanded with Micro SD cards.

The P'9981 sports tweaks to its software, including a custom Porsche font and redesigned icons. Va va voom.

The Porsche Design BlackBerry P'9981 will be available in limited quantities before the end of 2011, RIM said, with prices expected to hit quadruple figures.

Not one for the shallow pocketed then, although those with the keys to a 911 are unlikely to bat an eyelid.

Looks like a cross between an iPhone 4 and a Blackberry Curve, Bold, whatever. Bet it will cost a fortune.

~ Maxie

I read that it will be around $2k (US) or a 4 figure sum over here. Not something that would get me to switch fruit company for my telephone.

Looks nice mind...

pd_2.jpg

Looks slick. Would prefer slightly subtler branding on the top but that's never been Porsche Design's thing.

Au contraire, for that money I would want a massive Porsche logo!

:)

Porsche Design BlackBerry P'9981 UK release confirmed

Research in Motion has teamed up with Porsche Design to release the luxury P'9981 with a UK release date and price now handset to the BB7 device.

The repeatedly leaked and recently unveiled smartphone collaboration between handset giant RIM and sports car company Porsche, the Porsche Design BlackBerry P'9981 is to be released in the UK exclusive to luxury department store Harrods, the high-end retailer has confirmed.

Set to land within the coming days the P'9981 features a host of lavish design traits with the handset's internal array of specs offering far less of an impact than the device's external façade.

Porsche Design BlackBerry P'9981 Features

A step away from the usually fusty and plastic heavy design of the current selection of BlackBerry handsets the design geniuses at Porsche have bestowed their usual brushed metal aesthetic upon this latest full QWERTY boasting device.

Crafted with a forged stainless steel frame the P'9981 oozes class, craftsmanship and style with the hand-wrapped leather back and sculpted QWERTY keyboard being complemented by the internal inclusion of a 1.2GHz processor and NFC communication technology.

Running the BlackBerry 7 operating system the P'9981 is plumped by the inclusion of an exclusive Porsche Design UI which boasts a bespoke Wikitude World Browser Augmented Reality App. HD 720p video recording capabilities and 8GB of internal storage, expandable up to 40GB via SD, complete the handset's specs.

Porsche Design BlackBerry P'9981 Release Date and Price

Set to hit the UK before the end of the month Harrods have pencilled in a Porsche Design BlackBerry P'9981 release date for 'the middle of December" with the luxury smartphone to set wannabe owners back the princely SIM-free sum of £1,275.

Are luxury smartphones ever worth their value or would you only ever pay over the odds for a device boasting superior specs as opposed to simply a lavish design aesthetic? Let us know what you think via the comments box below.

Attachments

• p9981_500.jpg
    p9981_500.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 24,906
Shame Blackberry won't see out 2013.

GT4 said:
Shame Blackberry won't see out 2013.

What are the lottery numbers this week Paul....PM preferred ;)

My chum picked up one of these phones. Build quality excellent price :eek: However for business and day to day he uses an iPhone :grin:

Will a good Indy service it,or is it a maindealer only service??? :?:

I don't think you get service if you are on 4Gee ...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back