Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery drain on 996 Turbo

Volt44

Hi all. I'm having a battery drain problem on my 996 turbo. Had it for a year now and it is OK when used but only lasts 5 or 6 days when parked, even with the alarm disabled (by double press on the keyfob).

The battery was changed 5 months ago for an Exide which was tested last week to be in good health.

Any known issues on this car? Thanks in advance.

Volt44 said:
Hi all. I'm having a battery drain problem on my 996 turbo. Had it for a year now and it is OK when used but only lasts 5 or 6 days when parked, even with the alarm disabled (by double press on the keyfob).

The battery was changed 5 months ago for an Exide which was tested last week to be in good health.

Any known issues on this car? Thanks in advance.

Can we assume that it's not driven much? If you are leaving it for weeks on end or it's a weekend driver it would be worthwhile sticking it on trickle charge, they'd drain pretty quickly tbh.

Has it by any chance had a disconnected Tracker installation? This can cause battery drain problems if the redundant unit has not been correctly isolated.

Cheers for the replies. Yes, it can sometimes go for a week without being driven. That's not too bad though, other cars seem to cope OK with this.

A few questions:

1. How would I find out if it had a Tracker previously fitted? There are no stickers on the car which I guess they would leave on.

2. How do I isolate the alarm system? Taking the battery terminals off forces an alarm so it must have a battery backup. Problem is, it's deafening so I can't do any current tests.

3. Does anyone know how easy the alternator is to get off on one of these?

4. What is the original equipment battery's Amp Hours (Ah)? Mine is 77 on the new battery.

If you can answer any of these I'd be grateful.

I had a similar problem with mine,and it was the alternator which wasn't charging the battery properly.

You can see if this is your problem by looking at the voltmeter on the dash.On mine when it was first started I had 13.5 volts which is normal, but after 20 mins or so the voltage was dropping to about 12 which wasn't enough to keep the battery fully charged.If I left it for 4-5 days it wouldn't start.

Another way to test for this is to charge the battery fully then disconnect the charger and leave it as normal for a week or so,if it starts strongly the next time then this is almost certainly your problem. The longest I've left mine since doing the fix below is about 2.5 weeks and it started fine.

I replaced the voltage regulator which is mounted on the back of the alternator, its only about £30 and have had no problems since.My voltage stays between 13.7 and 14 volts now.By the way this is a very common problem.

Hope this helps

Mac

@Mac996t - That's great news, was hoping to find a common problem. Did you do the regulator yourself and how easy was it to get to?

If you turn the ign on b 4 you disconnect the battery the alarm will not activate the alarm so saving the ear battering

i have the same issues , in fact it's on charge as i type :roll: mine is down to lack of mileage , simple as !!

I refer to aposting on a similar subject, think about a solar charger if you do not have acccess to power for a trickle charger

Bermo 911 said:
i have the same issues , in fact it's on charge as i type :roll: mine is down to lack of mileage , simple as !!

Same here not moved for 3 weeks wife rings me at work to say the alarm is going off, Flat as a witches tit

challenger1 said:
I refer to aposting on a similar subject, think about a solar charger if you do not have acccess to power for a trickle charger
:floor: :floor: :floor: i live in wales mate so THAT is NOT an option :floor:

i suffered the same issue as this on my previous car an impreza...the battery was replace when i bought the car which by the way was only 21/2 years old at time....but if the car was left for more than say 4 days without use ..i would get a text message from the tracker system saying warning battery low and pretty soon after that the alarm would sound....i asked about and found that the tracker system if installed in conjunctionwith the normal alarm taxes the vattery if left for any length of time... solution for me was use the car every other day....stopped this issue....maybe you have a tracker which is still connected somewhere and with your alarm ..draining the battery

read this thread last week out of interest and within days im suffering the same problem out of the blue .. took a friend out in the car for a good scaring on sat morning , did about 15-20 miles and returned home . We all went for breakfast and our friends headed off home , me and the fiancee jumped back in the car to head off to dartmouth for the day and it wouldnt start , just a feeble attempt at turning the starter followed by a few clicks . I would say the time elapsed between the previous outting was around 1hr .

things to note ... i do remember during the friend scaring session , at one point whilst coming off a dual carriageway up to a red light at the roundabout i smelt something quite noticeable... it smelt like burning electrics , it soon faded but i remember thinking "mmmm thats not a good smell "

today i jump started the car with ease and let it run for 5 or so minutes before shutting off and then restarting , 3 hrs have passed and its now refusing to start again , at this drain rate i can expect the alarm to be waking up the nieghbours sometime tonight :nooo: :nooo:

hope it doesent seem like im hijacking , thought it pointless starting a new thread

any ideas for my particular situation ????

Volt44 said:
@Mac996t - That's great news, was hoping to find a common problem. Did you do the regulator yourself and how easy was it to get to?

Hi Volt44, I re-fitted a new voltage regulator I bought from Ebay for £28.50 incl postage. If you have a basic set of tools / sockets and a lot of patience I think you can do it in a couple of hours. I did mine on sunday suffering with that deadly man flu with no problems.

Cheers,

If you need some help PM me mate.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back