Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

930 Turbo - does this iconic Porsche have to be red!!

Bieldside

Having decided to go back in time to buy another Porsche I am thinking of a 993 Turbo or a late 1988/89 930 Turbo

But with the 930 Turbo I almost think that red is the only colour that really suits this iconic car.

Looking at various options and one is a beautiful silver cabriolet but I just hesitate . One its a cabriolet and two its not red

Does it have to be red - I think so

if the cab is the one im thinking of, i think i could live with it not being red.

I have a 964T in red, and totally understand what you mean. When buying the iconic yuppymobile, surely you have to get it in the iconic yuppycolour? Personally I think cars like this lend themselves to loud colours - guards red or tahoe blue for example. Black 964T's are desired due to the film bad boys, but personally black, dark blue etc just doesnt do it for me.

I know when I looked at a few that when I saw them in the flesh I just knew if the colour worked or not - dark blue was a definite no no, as was black. It didnt have to be red for me, but it had to be a colour that was fitting to the era.

Personally I think 930's also work in gold, and also in silver that was popular at the time.

Good luck in your search - the 930 is an awesome car.

Red is nice but I have a 1989 930 in Grand Prix White with Burgundy leather interior. I think the white looks superb contrasting against the Fuchs wheels, the spoiler and bumpers. The only colour on the body are the rear lights cluster and rear reflective strip.

930 colours

in the flesh, this colour, viper green metallic looks absolutely amazing. I used to have a minerva blue one and that also looks great.

Attachments

• jruin_031_212.jpg
    jruin_031_212.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 17,053
  • jruin_019_104.jpg
    jruin_019_104.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 17,053
Let's face it, the 930 is such an icon it doesn't really matter what colour it is. Under the shell, be it red, white, silver, black or even green it is, in my opinion, the very best Porsche ever made if you want a car to drive. Treat it with respect and it will reward you with every thing you wish for from a car but disrespect it and it will be unforgiving and will bite back hard.
Depends if you want a car to drive and have enjoyment or just one to be seen in and then, and only then, does the colour really make a difference.
Red is fine. :thumbs:

930 Turbo

The 930 Turbo will be far far removed from the new 991 which is going to be a mini Panamera

I love Porsche as a sports car hence my move backwards to a 830 Turbo

Interesting comment made to me that a silver Turbo is more understated than a red one which is in your face . As a mature owner (but 21 at heart!!) then silver may be a better bet. Or is that defeatist talk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...0109708?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item415d6a1d8c

A good Indy can put the engine and gearbox back in and get it fired up for <£1,000. If it's within a couple of hundred miles approx £350 should get it back on a transporter.

Maybe worth a closer look/trip to inspect as good 930's are becoming sought after. If it's mileage is genuine you could have a great car for not a lot of money.

btw .......that colour is amazing/typical 930 period colour.

Chances are it will cost quite a bit more than a couple of grand to get that car up to cratch.

Engine will need new studs, top end rebuild at least plus oil cooler, exhaust, heat exchangers, plus any thing else "while your in there".

Body will require welding/panel replacement and a respray.etc etc..

My guess it would all soon add up to over £10k, maybe a lot more.

On the plus side, at the end you would have a lovely car in a rare colour!

Thats impressive factual information from your armchair :thumb:

Ask anyone who has restored these cars, they will say the same.

I am on my 3rd 930 and twenty sixth 911, during that time spending many thousands on restoration.

Anyone naive enough to think £1k at an Indy will reassemble the engine alone is living in cloud cuckoo land, it was obviously taken apart for a reason.

Maybe that's why the the guy left for Australia!

Err nobody said the engine could be restored for a grand so at least get that fact right. Also, how do you actually know it needs a rebuild and welded/painted as the body looks rather good/about on par with most current £22 > £25k cars of that age?

You are right it looks typically similar to many cars for sale at over £20k bodywise, as many of these older cars have a bit of rust, not the end of the world, but often B pillar and other bits will need doing.

In particular on this car, from the photos rust has taken hold at least to the front wing which in itself will be difficult to match easily and may be the tip of an iceberg.

Going back to the engine ask around at any competent indy, engine reassembly without doing anything to an engine that it has been taken apart for a rebuild (by the advertisers own statement), is likely to require many parts and once examined will lead to considerable extra expense.

In any case, to follow up the OP, the moral of the story is; red, silver whatever colour, buy the best car you can. The best cars are either when you have paid for all the work yourself, or better still when someone else has done it properly.

930 Turbo

Thanks for the suggestion re restoration

Sadly time is not on my side to deal with such a project and I am unable to do anything myself so buying as good as I can find is my only option

Oddly my friend bought a low mileage Ferrari and was so fighterned of using it as that devauled it that he drove 2000 miles in 4 years

So the red one I have looked at at The Hairpin Co is probably not ideal plus its £60K+ for an 18000 mile Turbo LE . Looks great though!!

Think i no what your getting at Gord.Think you will look 8) in it. ill pop round and show you the motor to.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back