Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

£25k budget

themob

Hi guys

Having never owner a Porsche, i am am making the move over from a BMW and need some good, honest, unbiased advice.

I have about £20k-£25k to spend. What is the best i can buy for my money. I like the C4S 996 and the Turbo 2. aving read a few articles, it seems that the early water cooled cars are problematic and therefore for my sort of budget, one should stick to air cooled.

I am really confused so any little help will go a long way !

The choice of cars that can be had for 25k is pretty extensive - 993, 996 C4S, 996 Turbo, early 997 C2...

The air-cooled models (993 and prior) are not as easy to live with as the water-cooled cars, but it really depends what you're looking for. Plenty of threads on the forum to give you an idea (do a search for 993 vs 996), but your best bet is to go out and drive some.

good luck

themob said:
Hi guys

Having never owner a Porsche, i am am making the move over from a BMW and need some good, honest, unbiased advice.

I have about £20k-£25k to spend. What is the best i can buy for my money. I like the C4S 996 and the Turbo 2. aving read a few articles, it seems that the early water cooled cars are problematic and therefore for my sort of budget, one should stick to air cooled.

I am really confused so any little help will go a long way !

In that range you'll be very, very lucky to get a decent Turbo. Any under £25k will be early and/or high mileage.

A short while ago you'd have needed nearer to the £25k to get a good C4S but that has changed so you should be spoilt for choice.

Decide on your favourite colour and spec and then look for the newest/best history/best condition one you can find. You might have to 'go private' for the best deal though.

Alternatively you'd get virtually any 996 Carrera on the market - even from a dealer - and have plenty left over to run it for a while.

Good luck :thumb:

schwarz993 said:
The air-cooled models (993 and prior) are not as easy to live with as the water-cooled cars, but it really depends what you're looking for. Plenty of threads on the forum to give you an idea (do a search for 993 vs 996), but your best bet is to go out and drive some.

+1 What he said! :thumbs:

Is it going to be a daily driver or weekend toy? If it's daily I'd probably buy a kettle over an aircooled, and I love my 993, but couldn;t drive it everyday, it would take away the magic! :worship:

in exactly the same boat as you ! I've settled on 996 c4s as the best car in this price bracket so be interesting to see how this thread develops.

Hopefully you will lose less money on a 993, but (IMO) a 996 is much better car, and far better to drive.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back