Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

111 Point Check Disgrace!!!!!!!!

mark pearce

A cautionary tale.
Just bought an 1997 993 carrera 4 37000nmiles, full service history, invoice file showing £22000 spent on it at OPC CHiswick in the last 5 years,, some of the bills amzing , i.e. £5000 to respray the front end, fit new seat belts and alloy pedals, £6500 to fit new carpets and door cards.

BUT no sign of a discs or the wishbones replaced in the last 4 years.
so i offered the owner a price, he wanted £2000 more
so
i suggested a 111 point check at OPC exeter as he had a holiday home in dorset.
he suggested an OPC in london as he lived in SW11.
so a week later , car booked in for 111 point check and me to meet him there to conclude the deal.

On the friday i was driving out of london, so popped into the OPC introduced myself and explained how i operate and suggested that in order not to have any 'problems afterwards' that i find on 993's the weaknesses are my usual lists of
Corrosion to inner faces of brake discs
Caliper slider plates lifting
Wishbone Bushes
Oil leaks to timing chain covers
Rear Pu support Bars
Exhaust and catalyst heat shields etc.
so would they pay special attention to these items

Service advisor told me that they were Porsche Gb and exeter are just a dealership, a 111 Point check is extremely thorough and one could sense an 'attitude'

So monday afterooon i meet the owner who said the car had passed, the comments being

front bump stop split the only failure on the insopection sheet
some corrosion to inner faces
small leak from timing chain covers
non genuine battery
front pads 30% worn
rear pads 20% worn

they told the owner it was the best they have seen, underneath it was like a 2 year old car and he he'd be mad to sell it as he'd never find one like this again, and they werent impressed by my visit to the dealership the previous day. as they were Porsche Gb not a dealership

so the owner drives me back to Sw11 and we have a chat for 2 hours and then he says hes decided to think about it, pays me my train fare and back i go to cornwall.

10 days later he rings me says hes decided to sell it, so i collect the car, drop it off to OPC exeter for them to 111 point check the car, service it as the last service at OPC Chiswick was al ow mileage annual service, which we all know is something that isnt listed in the service book, i.e. a service but no oil or filter change.

Just had the report from Porsche exeter
front bump stops need replacing and electronic wheel alignment
non genuine battery
NSF caliper plates lifting
front discs severly rusted, disc 0.5 mm above wear limit, discs might skim, but 111 point check limits state that discs must be 1mm above wear limit to pass
rear discs in need of replacement, definetly wont skim and again 0.5 mm above minimum wear limit
2 rear PU support bars corroded away
cut in 1 tyre down to the canvas.
I obviously authorised them to do the work at a cost of over £3000

so i ring the OPC that inspected the vehicle who tell me

The car was within guidelines and exeter dont know what they're talking about, who inspected it, i replied the senior technician service / manager.
eventually the service advisor agreed to get the service manager to look into it, i suggested he ring exeter , but he replied he couldn't see the point

all in all an absolute disgrace

:nooo:

Chiswick (West London OPC) are notorious. Just have a look on PH for the various horror stories involving them over the years.

Sorry to hear your story, but can't say I'm surprised :frustrated:

NXI20 said:
Chiswick (West London OPC) are notorious. Just have a look on PH for the various horror stories involving them over the years.

Sorry to hear your story, but can't say I'm surprised :frustrated:
Neither am I, hence my initial visit

But Remember Porsche GB read every post here and on Pistonheads
another reason for me initial post :frustrated:

To be fair, the inspection that was done by OPC Silverstone before I bought my car seems to have been fairly good. And most points were addressed before sale.

However, the checks that JZM did (as part of a 6k service - I might add) were even more thorough as they target specific weaknesses of the 993.

I get the feeling that some OPC's (but not all - Exeter, Byfleet, Silverstone and Bristol seem to know what they are doing) are losing touch with the air-cooled models.

Good old OPC Chesse Farm.

I hear the chap round the corner who used to sell barge-poles went out of business.

The only experience I have of the 111 point check is a freebie at Chiswick on an open day courtesy of PCGB. It took literally no more than 10 minutes and every point on the list got a tick. I know it was free, but if that is the speed at which they normally go through the checks it is no wonder that problems are missed.

Poor form.

But I've never head anything good about OPC West London which is why I never service mine there.

111 point check disgrace

How can a multinational company like porsche allow such discreptances between their dealers to exist?. Do they not have procedures to quality assure the service they provide. Shops use 'mystery shoppers. I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford a new 991 next year. I am now having second thoughts!!

No suprise whatsoever.

I suffered from a similar experince and and was left with the feeling they did nothing more than walk around the car and kick the tyres.

I would NEVER use an OPC for a 111 point check unless I was taking out a warranty with them (which would hopefully cover all the things they miss)

apw2007 said:
I would NEVER use an OPC for a 111 point check unless I was taking out a warranty with them (which would hopefully cover all the things they miss)

I wasn't given the choice.

My car was booked in for an annual inspection and I asked if I could 'upgrade' it to a 111 point check only to be told that they only do that if the car is to be considered for a warranty. If I wanted more than the annual inspection I'd have to opt for a minor service.

In fairness I stayed and watched (from a distance) and the inspection took 65 minutes and seemed very comprehensive.

Sounds pretty useless but tallies with much that I've heard about OPC West London before.

I went to OPC Byfleet earlier in the year for their freebie inspection. They spent an hour with the car and came out with a detailed list. They then got the car back 2 months later to do everything (~£7.5k of work). I was impressed with them, and will return.

As said above, seems sad and rather worrying that there are such discrepancies between OPCs...

I just cut&pasted this from the online OPC manual....

111 point check (detailed):

1 car? y/n
1 set of wheels? y/n
1 engine ? y/n

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back