Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gear box whine, car check didnt spot it

996_77s

After reading a great deal about buying a 996 online I thought it best to get an OPC car check before purchasing my privately bought 1999 996. I had heard a slight whining noise when driving the car but thought this could be tyre noise. I told the OPC about this so they could check it out for me.

The usual minor bits and pieces came up on the car check and all seemed okay.

After picking up the car I took it to my local garage to get some work done on it. They immediately spotted that the noise was gear box whine and I could need a new gear box.
I was mortified. I got a second and a third opinion from two other Porsche centres. They both confirmed that it was definitely a gear box problem. I went back to the original Porsche centre that did the car check and gave them the diagnoses in writing from my local OPC. They refused point blank that the noise was ever there when they did the check. After numerous letters I got no where with them.

All the Porsche centres that diagnosed the gear box whine immediately new that was the problem. They all said that it is not a noise that suddenly starts. It is a gradual noise that gets louder and louder so it would have definitely been making the noise when the OPC did the check.

Luckily I didn't need a whole new gear box which would have cost £6500. I ended up having to pay £3000 to get the gear box fixed. I wish I had never taken the car to get the check from this OPC. The car check cost me £211.50 and I would have definitely not bought the car if they had told me about the gear box whine that 3 separate Porsche garages spotted almost immediately. They didn't even give me the money back for the car check.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with an OPC doing a car check?
If so how did you try and get it resolved?
The car is fixed now and I am enjoying driving it. But I could have done with out spending an extra £3211 to get it fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back