Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying a 930 turbo

Addo

Hello,

My father & I have has been looking for a 930 turbo in guards red, we viewed a stunning 930 in Guildford but noticed it has the 4 speed gearbox.

Having previously bought a Mercedes SL280 1981 and then changed to a SL320 1987 because it was a more desirable spec/car to own with ABS ect we didn't want to have the same issues, he'd like to part exchange his current car which is immaculate. With that in mind I've read up a little bit and found that the 1989 930 has the more desirable 5 speed gear box when commanding higher prices. Are there any other benefits from buying a later model or any special editions like the modern turbo s? also does the 1989 version come with ABS and if not could it be fitted?

all help would be appreciated
thanks

Any info would be handy guys :roll:

is the body kit std 'LE' also it says its one of 50? any help would be appreciated.
cheers

Gmund Cars
Porsche 930 LE (1989)
£35,995

Model : 930 LE
Colour : Guards Red
Interior : Linen full leather piped red
Engine Size : 3300cc
Transmission : 5 speed manual
Mileage : 61286
Year : 1989
Date Registered : 01-08-1989
Date Last Owner : 26-07-01
Number of Keepers : 9
Supplying Dealer : Dick Lovett
Chassis No : 93KS000715
Engine No : 67K00806
Options : Full UK (C16) Limited Edition spec car, 1 of approx 50 built. the LE specification offers a highly attractive combination of road-going performance with subtly distinctive exterior and interior enhancements. Some options are, sun roof, air con, 3 spoke steering wheel, factory colour coded alloys, 4 outlet sports exhaust, electric sports seats, 330 bhp motor, rear wheel arch air intakes, exclusive front spoiler with integrated additional oil cooler.

Comments : A very original Turbo LE, comes with all the correct service manuals and a box full of service invoices, old MOT's and relevent papers showing the cars full and detailed history. Drives very true and straight, and packs a punch. Good value with sensible mileage.

2186873-1.jpg

2186873-7.jpg

2186873-2.jpg

2186873-3.jpg

2186873-4.jpg

2186873-5.jpg

2186873-6.jpg

Hi there,

The Porsche 930 was manufactured from 1975 to 1989. It started off as a 3.0 and evolved into a 3.3 from 1978. None of the cars had modern safety and driver aids like ABS, Airbags or power steering and I doubt you could retro fit them (but maybe an expert could chime in here)

They are all 4 speed manual gearboxes apart from the 1989 cars which had the 5 speed. As the 5 speed was only introduced in the final year, they are relatively rare and therefore command a premium of between £5k to 10k.

A couple of special editions were produced which had additional bodykits and mods. The two main ones were the Limited Edition you linked to (produced at the end of the production run in 1988/89 I believe) and a "slant nose" version with pop-up headlights that was available as a special order from about 1981.

I would recommend your Dad drives them as they are unlike the other cars he owns. They have one large turbo that takes getting used to due to the Turbo lag. The lag, coupled with the lack of driver aids can often put them into a spin on corners for those that are not used to driving them. This earnt them a bit of a "widow maker" reputation in the 80s. They are a driver's car though and as such do require some skill to get the most out of. Once they have been mastered, they can provide vast amounts of driving enjoyment.

Also, when looking at them, beware of rust which is quite common on many of teh remaining cars, although not all. Beware of accident damage, many of these may have been in accidents over the last 20-30 years and could have been badly repaired. Get the car professionally inspected by someone who knows the 930 well and also get a compression and leakdown test done. Don't forget, these cars are over 20 years old and things like rubbers etc perish with time.

Depending on your requirements, a compromise might be its successor, the 3.3 964 Turbo. This carried over the 3.3 from the 930 but with reduced turbo lag and the addition of ABS and power steering. It was subsequently upgraded to a 3.6 Turbo from 1993 but these are quite rare and hence command a premium.

Good luck in your hunt !

Thanks for the feedback, we'll be looking at some more this week 1989 versions with the 5 speed gear box as i'd imagine it would be more user-able for road driving with out rev the nuts off it.

I here what your saying in regards to the later models ticking more boxes such as PAS/ABS ect... but he like the iconic shape with the "Whale tail". i'll post findings as they come so people interested can see how it goes.

Addo said:
Thanks for the feedback, we'll be looking at some more this week 1989 versions with the 5 speed gear box as i'd imagine it would be more user-able for road driving with out rev the nuts off it.

I here what your saying in regards to the later models ticking more boxes such as PAS/ABS ect... but he like the iconic shape with the "Whale tail". i'll post findings as they come so people interested can see how it goes.

OK good luck :thumb:

The 964 Turbo also has the whale tail like the 930. It is from the 993 that the iconic whale tail was changed.

See photo of 964 here:
3152982105_d701ed98ea.jpg

Only mentioning it in order to widen your options in the search for a great car. The 964 Turbo was the car driven by Will Smith in the Bad Boys film.

Spy - I`m disappointed in you. At least post a pic of a 964 turbo!

Dream911 said:
Spy - I`m disappointed in you. At leat post a pic of a 964 turbo!

Ooops :oops: Photo now fixed.

Addo you now get two great 964 Turbo photos the one on my post and Ollie's very own 964 Turbo in the post above ^^ (which is for sale by the way :wink: )

don`t be put off with the 4 speed box, with second gear having a range of 30-90mph no need for the rest of the gearbox :D The Gmund se looks like one thats worth a look the 5 speed 89 models are overpriced in relation to both earlier 4 speed turbos or a decent 964T .

As has been said don't be put off by the four speed, in fact that's being unfair sounds like I'm making an excuse for it, which I'm not. I've had two 930 turbos with the four speed box and I've loved them, really loved them.

In fact I'm fairly sure I want another...............

You got me thinking about the Bad Boys film so I thought I would share:

MOVIE POSTER

Bad%20Boys%20poster%201.jpg

and the opening scene of the film with the now legendary 964 Turbo.....

Spy said:
You got me thinking about the Bad Boys film so I thought I would share:

MOVIE POSTER

Bad%20Boys%20poster%201.jpg

and the opening scene of the film with the now legendary 964 Turbo.....

Wow i always thought the Bad Boys 911 was 993, obviously not!! looks similar to 930 what spec are they? and is yours for sale?

Addo - Bad Boys was a 964 Turbo. If you are mostly after the look of the 930 (wide body & whaletail) then you have 3 options:
1) 930: built between 1975-1989. Quite a few variants
2) 964T 3.3L: 1991-1993 car. Used the new and massively improved (suspension, brakes etc) 964 chassis, with a 3.3L turbo engine that was based on the 930 engine
3) 964T 3.6L: 1993-1994. Still used the 964 chassis, but with a brand new engine based on the normall aspirated 964 3.6L engine. Not many were built and only c.42 were sold in the UK, so they are super expensive.

Do a google search for pictures of all 3, or look at pistonheads. If you want a 964T then you should buy Dream911's car that he is selling after spending 2 years getting it perfect.

Or...just maybe you would like to consider this, ahem, slightly modified 930 turbo on the market as of today...?

Gemballa styling in Pearl white with a tuned engine capable of 750bhp, up to 215mph AND in RHD. Apparently only 5 like this in the world but maybe that's a good thing. Did sound very nice though :thumb:

Batman probably has one as a daily driver :grin:

PS As the saying goes, if you have to ask the price...

Attachments

• gemballa__195.jpg
    gemballa__195.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 17,251
  • gemballa_930_933.jpg
    gemballa_930_933.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 17,251
Doesn't that one belong to a German Austin Powers? :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members