Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dilemma: Swap out 996 Turbo ?

Spy

Nurburgring
Hi all,

I feel I am in a bit of a dilemma. I bought an absolutely gorgeous and immaculate 996 Turbo last year with the intention of pampering and keeping it for a few years. It is now less than a year on and I am thinking of changing. This has been a problem for me in the past where I get the "itch" to change cars.

I only use the car in fair weather and it has been undercover on a trickle charger since November last year, reappearing a few weeks ago. The car is a phenomenal everyday car but I only use it on nice weekends. I am now thinking that an older Pork, such as 930, 964 Turbo or 993 C2S/C4S would have been a better purchase for me, given my intended usage.

I am not sure if this desire to change is down to the "itch" or genuine concern.

One thing I hate is selling cars due to the timewasters and tyre kickers and therefore was looking for member's views as to the chance of finding a person who owned one of the older porkers listed above who might be in the market for a 996 Turbo in order to agree a trade.

Am I dreaming and this is unlikely to happen and therefore I should bite the bullet and advertise ?

I am in no hurry but at the same time, would prefer not to be stting here 12 months later waiting for the "perfect storm".

Do people with older porkers move up to newer cars or do they stick to the same type ?

There is no proven academic/scientific theory to car ownership; buy whatever it is that will please you for it's intended use. Simples!

However...there is one theory that might be able to be replicated and triangulated (the smart ones on here will get that :) ), and that is, once dream car is purchased, it is no longer a dream car. In those circumstances, another dream car quickly replaces it and ideas of how to purchase dream car soon start developing! :sad:

Changing cars will only cost you money as I well know, be happy with what you have. I now have a rule which is to keep the car for 2 years.

An older car will more no doubt have more problems and be more expensive to maintain (unless you able to do the work yourself)

Having the same problem. Thinking of changing my 4s for a turbo. This can be a partial waste of money especially if you go for an exchange at a dealer. On the other hand you save money from depreciation and extended maintenance. I think is up to your economics whether can change a car every six month or a year or so...
Now about the second matter, going to from new to older is something i have think of it too, looking for a 993 or even a fully restored-upgraded 930 turbo.
I think test drive is the best way before final inspection. Drive what makes you feel good not what fashion demands.
Personally i had great fun driving a cheap Z3M conversion before buy my 996. Fantastic sound, easy driftable and the overall cheaper structure plus cabrio, gave me a feeling that car was considerable faster than my 996 (although its not).
That's why i am thinking also if sell my 4s to buy a Z4 installing an E39 m5 engine, more fun and performance.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back