Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996: Replacing Variocam 'Lids' or flanges N/S

steveoz

A quick how to that might help someone....

This is for the nearside, I will add offside as soon as I get chance. I popped into the garage this evening and did a quick few bits on the nearside before having to go out and managed to do this in aprox 15 minutes, I would say that if you budget 20 minutes for the nearside that is plenty.

First, Jack the car up using the jacking point at the passenger side rear. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone to support with axel stands as well.

Next remove the wheel.

From here you can see the variocam housing:

seal2-1.jpg

You'll notice the small block in the picture to the left of the variocam housing that I am holding, this is where the connector sits for the solenoid. I've already separated here, but all you need to do, is to pull the block towards the front of the car so it pops out of the plastic clip, and then press on the connector to release the clip for removing the solenoid end of the connector:

seal1-1.jpg

Pull the connector free:

seal3-1.jpg

Next, using a 10mm socket, undo the two m10 bolts holding the flange over the solenoid, remove bolts and apply pressure with fingers to twist the flange to break the seal:

seal4-1.jpg

Remove flange carefully over the solenoid connector:

seal5-1.jpg

Check solenoid housing is lubricated and the solenoid shows no signs of moisture / water ingress. If the solenoid is damaged, replace the old seal and seek advice from an OPC, if the solenoid has fresh oil around it and is in good condition then continue. (The reason for this is that once the flange is pressed over the solenoid casing it will render the seal near useless if you remove it and you have effectively wasted a seal) - thanks to the techs at Dick Lovett for this pointer on what to look out for.

seal6-1.jpg

Old vs new, it's hard to tell from this picture, but the in built rubber seal on the old one is nearly no-existent compared to the new:

seal7.jpg

Apply a small amount of grease to the inside of the flange and slide new flange over connector and into place, a small amount of pressure will be required to bed the seal onto the solenoid housing (no sealing compound is required although shown on parts list).

seal8.jpg

Grease threads and replace bolts, then re-route wire and reconnect:

seal9.jpg

Push back onto retaining clip near the AOS bellow:

seal10.jpg

All done, nice new clean and well sealed variocam solenoid flange:

seal11.jpg

This really is a very quick and easy procedure, and for the sake of £12.00 per flange, it is well worth doing.

I hope this is of use to someone.

Thanks,

Steve

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back