Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996: C2 Front Suspension

steveoz

This is for mods really, below are some threads I've put up on Porsche club GB, I'll post them as seperate replies on this thread so I don't spam the forum. Feel free to move them, use them or delete them....

MOD: moved to 996 FAQ

Suspension

I can't post all pics up as I have over 60 pictures alone of the steps I took and close ups of stuff when changing out the first front spring, but thought these may come in handy. If anyone in future searches for this and follows what I did I am not responsible blah blah blah for any injury or damage caused, I'm just posting these up for info :) :

Suspension turret access is under here:

fspring2.jpg

Slide pannel out, pop cap off, and I put a big bar on the top nut to break it:

fspring3.jpg

fspring5.jpg

Loosen steering rod slightly:

fspring6.jpg

Jack hub up to take weight and pressure off of droplink and ARB, use spanner and socket to unbolt:

fspring9.jpg

fspring8.jpg

Easy to remove now with hand:

fspring10-1.jpg

Compress old spring:

fspring11.jpg

Undo bolts on turret (mark them so you know which way they go):

fspring12.jpg

Pop this out:

fspring14.jpg

and this:

fspring21.jpg

Undo brake line bracket:

fspring15.jpg

Get a big allen key and bar on the calliper:

fspring17.jpg

Gently tap calliper free with soft wood:

fspring19.jpg

Unclip and remove sensor connectors:

fspring23.jpg

Undo sensor block and mount:

fspring25.jpg

It will come free now, compress shock downward by pressing on it, and push wishbone down, turn steering all the way to drivers side to fully extend steering arm, pull strut out:

fspring26.jpg

Undo top nut fully with spring still compressed and don't stand infront of it like me lol, I've had a compressor slip / give way before on previous cars and had a top cap in my chest, it wasn't great....

fspring28.jpg

Remove top nut:

fspring29.jpg

Remove cap / mount:

fspring30.jpg

Remove bearing / sleeve assembly:

fspring31.jpg

No need to remove dust cover or washer if you don't want to, clean up strut (I cleaned off and repainted to stop any corrosion here):

fspring33.jpg

New spring on:

fspring34.jpg

I cleaned bearing sleeve and packed with fresh grease:

fspring35.jpg

Pop everthing back on seating rubber etc correctly and tighten up:

fspring36.jpg

Compress new shorter spring slightly, press down under arch and in:

fspring37a.jpg

Bit of silicone lube around the bolts and top to keep it all nice:

fspring38.jpg

Lift up and bolt back on in correct position (need to line up with marks and ensure correct angle of turret):

fspring39.jpg

Replace connector and reroute wires to correct place and connect:

fspring40.jpg

Use something softish to pop these back in:

fspring41.jpg

Line calliper up:

fspring42.jpg

Greased bolts and popped back in:

fspring43.jpg

Jack hub again and put drop link back on:

fspring46.jpg

Put brake line bracket back on:

fspring47.jpg

Wheel:

fspring48.jpg

Replace cover:

fspring49.jpg

Drop car down:

fspring50.jpg

The spotting you see is penetrating oil, I pop that on all bolts before I start, I also degreased the brake disc when I got it all back together.Good idea to wash the arch liners out if you have time.

I haven't taken the back pics off of my phone yet, and I haven't got time to sort them out and upload them at the mo, but will try to get around to that soon.

Cheers,

C2 suspension

Steve, I have recently put up a question a new thread about this topic, not having seen these two posts of yours (front and rear). .... was searching in the 996 section as opposed to 996 FAQ.

Reading the post it looks to exactly what I need, except I am unable to view the photos on my iPad (almost new iPad Air).. well, I can see a ultra lo-resolution blur of your photos ....There is much talk of the photobucket fiasco but I cannot find any info on how I can get to see already posted photos such as yours.

Can you or anyone help me out here, do I need a photo bucket app, or any other app to resolve this?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back