Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The next NA 991 GT3/RS ?

wizard993

What the next NA 991 GT3/RS may include....

Got this off another forum.......................

"Just got back from Daytona and my 2010 Gt3 in the Porsche corral with my 4 year old. I managed to corner one of the very very higher ups of Porsche motorsport and he was VERY open with 991 info. He saw my car and I started asking him about the 991 GT3 cup and then going on to what he knew about the street car. What he told me is the following.
1.9A1 motor for sure with 480 hp for GT3
2. PDK-S (he used this term twice) which has been tested with the 9A1 for over 4 years he claims. :eek:
3.Weight loss of 180-200 lbs through use of composites.
4.Aboslutely no hybrid tech.He said specifically it doesnt fit the GT3 motif.
5.Confirmed no more Gt1 (Mezger) block after GT3 RS LE (he confirmed 4.0 RSR motor).
6.Stressed the move of the motor forward essentially making the car a mid-engine car, even though Porsche will never call it one. He says this will make the car more balanced.
I wont say the guy's name but he is in a very high position within P-motorsport. "

Sounds awesome but i hope they offer a manual transmission as well as the PDK setup. I'm sure PDK will be faster/more economical but frankly in my humble opinion it somewhat kills the experience on a track. Surely it's not just about how fast you can go round but more about the challenge of getting yourself round fastly and smoothly. There has to be a bit of skill involved. Otherwise you might as well have a Ferrari 458.

That weight saving will make a huge difference. The 997 GT3RS is still a heavy car at the moment and taking 80 to 90KGs off and moving the engine forward will really improve things.

Any idea when the GT3 or GT3RS might go on sale? Should we start saving now?

I am not sure that a manual box will be available as an option as its not as if any tranny options were offered in the past. It could be the end of the line for stickshifts in the GT's I fear.

Would that really be an issue...surely Porsche will ensure it is not :?:

I hope you're right. It will be a big change if they lose the manual box so they would have to ensure that the overall feel of the car remains true to what customers want. Personally, I would be very sceptical about getting an RS or GT3 with PDK transmission. But I'm very willing for them to try and convince me by lending me a car for a weekend!

after the ///M and GTR and F430...i fell back to the "stick" which i feel much more connectivity in driving and more dramatic in-cabin during track days..PDK....save it for the Carrera..not the GT's :mrgreen:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back