Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommend me an Aluminium Trolley Jack

Digger90

Silverstone
Quite fancy one of these new-fangled aluminium trolley jacks as my 20+ yrs old iron lump has died.

What's the 911UK favourite?

Looks like quite a price range on these things, from:

- Clarke (Machine Mart) and Arcan at £100 ish

- Sealey / Draper at £200 ish

to...

- Facom at £300+

Are the cheapies up to the job?

I have the Arcan jack, good DIY lift and not too expensive. :thumb:

Attachments

• screen_capture_2_951.png
    screen_capture_2_951.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 23,460
I have the Clarke one. If I am honest I wouldn't bother with it. It's not bad but the front wheel has a habit of undoing itself when it's moved around. Darn annoying it is too. :frustrated:

IIRC the Michelin one is a 2T jack and not 1.5T. It has two springs for want of a better description at the back of the jack, where the 1.5T version only have one.

I have the Clarke one - does everything you need, is easily low enough and not unduly heavy : why spend more?

ResB said:
I have the Clarke one. If I am honest I wouldn't bother with it. It's not bad but the front wheel has a habit of undoing itself when it's moved around. Darn annoying it is too. :frustrated:

IIRC the Michelin one is a 2T jack and not 1.5T. It has two springs for want of a better description at the back of the jack, where the 1.5T version only have one.

The 1.5 is dual piston too...

ResB said:
oze172 said:
The 1.5 is dual piston too...

Emm, perhaps I'm going mad! :) :wack: :grin:

Def the 1.5 with dual pistons.

I also have the light weight Clarke that Nick recommended, it fits in the trunk so you can take it to track days...

:thumb:

Let me get this right if I may. The guys that have the Clark one, is it 1.5T and does it have dual pistons?

Never mind. Just checked mine.

The 1.25T has one piston, the 1.5T one you have said has two pistons. My bad.: :what: Did say I was going nuts. ;)

ResB said:
Let me get this right if I may. The guys that have the Clark one, is it 1.5T and does it have dual pistons?

The 1.25T has one piston, the 1.5T one you have said has two pistons. My bad.: :what: Did say I was going nuts. ;)

I think I have the 1.25 T one, it works but bits come unscrewed and fall off and it doesn't always pump up properly, you pays your money etc..

Senoj said:
ResB said:

I think I have the 1.25 T one, it works but bits come unscrewed and fall off and it doesn't always pump up properly, you pays your money etc..

lol, Like I said earlier in the thread, the wheel falls off mine too. Glad it isn't just mine. :grin:

I have ali ones that keep falling apart and busting seals so now i use 2 arcans ... 90 quid a go on ebay. heavy but cant recommend them enough.

Don't forget there is a difference between Tons [imperial] & Tonnes [metric]
ie 2 tons = 1.8 Tonnes [1800kg]

:mechanic:

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like Clarke is to be avoided and Arcan or Torin is the way to go.

the alloy jacks are all the same except higher weight lift have two pistons, and they all fall apart eventually, and the easy fix is with loctite, leaving you with a very good jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back