Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 purchase

ThirstforSpeed

Hi there,

I wanted to get a 2nd opinion before buying a 911.

I'm thinking of buying a 2004/2005 911 (997) second hand, which will be 60k+ in terms of mileage.

These are priced between £24k and £28k. I have a few questions which I need help on:

1) Can I fit a baby seat in the rear seat of the 911?

2) How 'easy' is it to drive? As my wife will need to drive it day to day in town (she is a good driver mind!)

3) Am I crazy to take out a loan and buy a porsche 911 when everyone is out there trying to save money?! I'll have about a grand left over per month to keep me ticking over.

Thanks

J

Happy hunting. It's great fun.

I'm certain that you can get baby seats for the 997. there's been loads of discussion on these forums about it but I've never had the need.

If you or your missus want a car that's as easy to drive as a Focus/Astra a 911 will do the job. It's more the thought of what you're actually driving and how much it costs to fix if you break it that causes unease. If you want to press on a bit you'll be safe knowing that few cars you see in regular use will be as fit for the purpose re handling and brakes etc.

Everyones personal finances are just that. I always find that i can somehow justify to myself everything I buy - whether I can really afford it or not :wink: .

All I would say is remember the potential running costs!

Personally I always try to be cautious but would be particularly so at this time. I suppose it really depends on how stable your job and your industry is. They recommend the self employed have anything between 3 and 6 months savings to get by on in case of injury et cetera. At the end of the day it was bad lending practices in conjunction with borrowers making poor decisions on how much to borrow and what to spend it on that caused all this.

Irrespective of what you may have as your disposable income I would try to put up as much up front on the car as possible so even if you have to sell the depreciation will not outweigh what you have borrowed if you are forced to sell in six months. I am hoping to put up half the cost of the GT3 when I get one (2003/4 996)

As for the car I have no idea as I am still looking for my first Porsche.

Good luck

Pip

ThirstforSpeed said:
I'm thinking of buying a 2004/2005 911 (997) second hand, which will be 60k+ in terms of mileage.

1) Can I fit a baby seat in the rear seat of the 911?

2) How 'easy' is it to drive? As my wife will need to drive it day to day in town (she is a good driver mind!)

3) Am I crazy to take out a loan and buy a porsche 911 when everyone is out there trying to save money?! I'll have about a grand left over per month to keep me ticking over.

Welcome to the forum. :thumb:

1) Yes, plenty of varieties to fit baby seats in the back of a 997. There are plenty of us in the same predicament with no issues at all regarding these. If you do a search on the forum you'll come up with a few threads on this subject including suggestions as to which is best to buy.

2) Is it Auto or Manual? Have you or your wife driven a high performance car before? If it's amnaual, beware that cluthces may appear harder to depress than those in the likes of an Astra or focus because your clutch will be controlling at least 3.6L engine's worth of torque as opposed to 1.6L petrol or a 1.9L diesel. The clutches in 911s are not as much servo-assisted as they are in mass-manufactured cars, However, once you've gotten used to it, you'll be fine. If an auto - no probs at all; just beware of the power and the weight of the engine hanging over the rear axle of the car.

3) As alluded to above, it's personal! If you do have a grand ticking away every month which is absolutely disposable, then there is no harm in putting it towards an indulgence such as this. If it was me, I'd be trying to build up as large a deposit as possible. However, you've now come to possibly the best time of the year to buy a car so you have the bargaining power here.

Lastly, make sure you can get a warranty of some sort. Show us a few examples if you like and we can offer you our opinions.

Happy hunting!

~ Maxie :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back