Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

In the market for a 996 C4S

madstadblues

Having had a 911 (996) c2 a couple of years agi I still have an itch that needs scratching! I previously bought on impulse a real minger and I am keen to avoid this again. Milage is mainly airport and some fun stuff.

I WILL be buying a C4S but I am increasingly vexed by the choice (and my flexible budget) 23->27k. Colour is a worry don't like polar blue, think the met Greys alongwith silvers & black are ok (not sure about resale value).

Manual or Tiptronic ? (i did know before i started looking). I am confused by the switchable sports exhaust option and do you switch it on or off and does it make any difference.

Will be a trade purchase and warrenty is important to someone who can only tell if the wheels are scuffed or not. Is getting a good deal from Porsche Main Dealer really worth the premium ?

Confused

Reading :?:

Hi,

Any 996 C4Ss at main dealers will likely be mint (at least externally...), and priced accordingly. The warranty it will come with though is just about as good as it gets (of course you can pay Porsche approx £1K per year to stick it on any other C4S, as long as it's not modified and passes their 111 point check).

In terms of resale you can't really go wrong with metallic black, grey or silver. Interior-wise, black is probably the safest choice. Again, resale-wise a manual gearbox would be the one to go for (IMO), but if you feel a tiptronic suits the driving you do, don't worry about it. Disclosure - I have a manual C4S in black, black interior and manual :)

The switchable sports exhaust is a desirable option. If you flick the switch, above 3000rpm things will get much louder, then switch back for a more stealthy approach where you're creeping around a village at 1am. Having said that, many owners bypass the switch altogether, or like myself who have a standard exhaust, have the bypass pipes welded in. To be honest if you keep below 3000rpm there's little difference in volume.

Having owned my C4S for year now I'd say your main concern is wear and tear. They are just getting to that age where things will need doing. It's unlikely you'll find a car with _everything_ done, but look out for evidence of:

- brake discs replaced
- one or more radiators replaced (they gather leaves at the front and start to corrode over time).
- clutch (depends on driving style of course).
- wheel bearings (4WD cars seem to suffer more from this than the 2WDs)
- suspension components replaced (bushes are starting to wear at this age and can lead to knocking noises over speed bumps for example).
- 48K/4 yearly service done (this is 'major' service plus some poly belts and spark plugs, which will knock you back around £650 from an indy).

None of this is a major worry, but it all adds up.

noodle10000 said:
Hi,

Any 996 C4Ss at main dealers will likely be mint (at least externally...), and priced accordingly. The warranty it will come with though is just about as good as it gets (of course you can pay Porsche approx £1K per year to stick it on any other C4S, as long as it's not modified and passes their 111 point check).

In terms of resale you can't really go wrong with metallic black, grey or silver. Interior-wise, black is probably the safest choice. Again, resale-wise a manual gearbox would be the one to go for (IMO), but if you feel a tiptronic suits the driving you do, don't worry about it. Disclosure - I have a manual C4S in black, black interior and manual :)

The switchable sports exhaust is a desirable option. If you flick the switch, above 3000rpm things will get much louder, then switch back for a more stealthy approach where you're creeping around a village at 1am. Having said that, many owners bypass the switch altogether, or like myself who have a standard exhaust, have the bypass pipes welded in. To be honest if you keep below 3000rpm there's little difference in volume.

Having owned my C4S for year now I'd say your main concern is wear and tear. They are just getting to that age where things will need doing. It's unlikely you'll find a car with _everything_ done, but look out for evidence of:

- brake discs replaced
- one or more radiators replaced (they gather leaves at the front and start to corrode over time).
- clutch (depends on driving style of course).
- wheel bearings (4WD cars seem to suffer more from this than the 2WDs)
- suspension components replaced (bushes are starting to wear at this age and can lead to knocking noises over speed bumps for example).
- 48K/4 yearly service done (this is 'major' service plus some poly belts and spark plugs, which will knock you back around £650 from an indy).

None of this is a major worry, but it all adds up.

What noodle said.....

Just see a load and you will know when you see the car for you .... I did
:thumb:

Finding one at an OPC, I don't think you will :?:

Add the OPC warranty on will give you piece of mind and at £920 a year without breakdown cover is great

You'll know the car you want to buy when you see it 'Madstad' but do yourself a favour and look at several before going for it.

996C4S prices are going a bit silly at the moment and there'll be some people out there with bad ones trying to take advantage.

For a goodun you'll definitely need to be looking at the top end of you budget and even then will need to keep some money back for running costs.

Take care and good luck.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bit the bullet and have put a deposit on an 03 C4S from OPC iwth 2 year OPC warrany, 40k (new engine fitted by Porsche 14k ago due to shaft breaking) and loads of bits. :thumbs:

madstadblues said:
Thanks for your feedback.

Bit the bullet and have put a deposit on an 03 C4S from OPC iwth 2 year OPC warrany, 40k (new engine fitted by Porsche 14k ago due to shaft breaking) and loads of bits. :thumbs:

Must be a nice one if an OPC had it, I didn't think they had 996 C4S's for sale anymore, so well done, you will love it, especially with the 2 year warranty .
Any other details, colour, spec etc, when do you get it.

Silver, met blue, ally pack, manual, sat nav, 6 & 5 mm on tyres, comp clutch, new rear discs + pads, sunroof . Not sure if its' PC to talk about price but seemed like an excellent deal in exactly the budget I was looking for. Was concerned about the new engine but the concensus was it was a good thing. The 2 years warranty is a good level of comfort + breakdown. Can't wait! :D

madstadblues said:
Silver, met blue, ally pack, manual, sat nav, 6 & 5 mm on tyres, comp clutch, new rear discs + pads, sunroof . Not sure if its' PC to talk about price but seemed like an excellent deal in exactly the budget I was looking for. Was concerned about the new engine but the concensus was it was a good thing. The 2 years warranty is a good level of comfort + breakdown. Can't wait! :D

Sounds great when do you pick it up. Bet you can't wait ?
Have they serviced it before you get it?
Ask for the 111 point check paperwork as it's nice to keep in the car file also show you what they have checked with the car .

Agreed: replacement engine not a bad thing ?

madstadblues said:

Sounds great when do you pick it up. Bet you can't wait ?
Have they serviced it before you get it?
Ask for the 111 point check paperwork as it's nice to keep in the car file also show you what they have checked with the car .

Agreed: replacement engine not a bad thing ?

Sounds like a great car. OPC cars are prepared properly, and if not they will address any issues you find when you pick it up. They will also tend to look after you if the car was bought from them - they have with me, with a couple of issues over the first 3 months being rectified at their cost.

BTW, was it the one at West London ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back