Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 or 997?

mikee

Hi all...

I'm new here, just introduced meself on the noob page... :bye:

I'm sure it's a question asked a million times before but I could do with the advice. I am in the market for a 911, currently got an M3 Evo and X5. The M3 will be going and replaced with a 911 but not entirely sure which one to go for. I've always loved the 996 4s in Silver.... I've got a bit of a thing for silver cars, both my M3 and X5 are in silver.... and will have around £20-£25k to play with. What are the main advantages of the 4s over the 2s (996), and is the 997 4s a lot better than the 996 4s? Am I better to save a bit more wonga and go for a 997..?

You'd be looking at a very high mileage 997 at £25k. Havent seen many about at all for that price. You'd pick up a very nice 996 C4S though.

Or do what I did, beg, borrow and steal and bag yourself a Turbo. :thumb:

Only seen this one:

1988043-1.jpg

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=56619

£26,950
136,000 miles
PORSCHE 911/997 3.8 S COUPE
2005/05
6 SPEED MANUAL
CARMON RED METALLIC
BLACK FULL LEATHER INTERIOR
SWITCHABLE SPORT EXHAUST
SWITCHABLE SPORT SUSPENSION
SPORT SHORT SHIFT GEARCHANGE
CERAMIC COMPOSITE BRAKES
SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE PLUS
19"CARRERA CLASSIC ALLOYS WITH POSRCHE COLOUR CRESTED CENTRE CAPS
YELLOW BRAKE CALLLIPERS
ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUN ROOF
XENON HEADLIGHTS WITH POWERWASH
PCM
CRUISE CONTROL
REAR WIPER
AUTO AIRCON/CLIMATE CONTROL
ELECTRIC SEATS
ALUMINIUM INSTRUMENT SURROUND
VERY HIGH SPEC
PORSCHE CARS UK PLUS ONE OWNER
136 K MOTORWAY MILES,DRVES LIKE 36K MILES
FULL PORSCHE DEALER HISTORY
JUST MOT'D BY PORSCHE MAIN DEALER
FANTASTIC CONDITION
CHEAPEST 997 FOR SALE IN THE UK
TERRIFIC VALUE AT £26950
NB. NUMBER PLATE NOT INCLUDED IN SALE
MORE PHOTOGRAPHS AVAILABLE @WWW.HAGLEYCAR.COM

Hi and welcome to the forum, I went for the best 996 c4s cab that I could find as the 997's in my price range were very high milage
And I prefer the look of the 996 c4S

They did only sell one though, didn't they?

Some people like the widebody 911s, some like yellow 911s.

Lets all be friends? :friends:

At least we can all agree we don't like BMWs.

For some reason I have been suggesting to newcomers to go for the 996 C4S when they ask a typical question like Mikee. If you've got cash now and want to buy now, then go for this model - it's the best looking 996 around and some would even argue better looking than the cooking models of the 997 series too. Rock solid residuals mean you won't lose too much come re-sale time. But aside from that you're getting a visually great looking, fantastic handling, wide-bodied car. Personally I prefer black but each to their own; we won't hold you against your colour preferences!

Welcome to the forum!

~ Maxie :)

Thanks for the replies. I do prefer the look of the 996, it's something about the red bit on the back that just does it for me! I'll think I'll stick to silver, but agree they do look great in black and grey too. I could wait a while and go for the 997 but I think I'd regret never having owned a 996 as it's the one I've always liked. Could alwys move on to a 997 later. I've always tried to drive cars that I've always wanted if that makes sense.... never been one to buy a car just because it's newer. I still love my M3 even tho it's nearly 12 years old now, and was considering a M3 CSL for a while... but having to choose between a CSL and a 911 the Porsche comes first every time.

mikee said:
Thanks for the replies. I do prefer the look of the 996, it's something about the red bit on the back that just does it for me!

We all like the red reflector strip across the width of the back too - it gives the car a more meaningful stance. It's too bad that this was the only 996 they fitted this strip too after it was a feature on all 993s and 964s and even some 928s too.

mikee said:
Could always move on to a 997 later..... never been one to buy a car just because it's newer.

That sounds the sensible thing to do.

mikee said:
but having to choose between a CSL and a 911 the Porsche comes first every time.

Hmmmmm - you may find that quite a few will disagree with you on that point. As much as we like M3s (and there are quite a few people on this forum who used to have them before they moved to a 911), a CSL model is somewhat revered even on these pages. If truth be told, a CSL is probably better than any 911 this side of a Turbo or GT3. If you're gong to test drive a CSL, the only other car that could come close to the dynamics would of course be the highly regarded 996 GT3.

~ Maxie

I do love the CSL. Having lived and breathed BMW for the last 10 years I cant help but love it. I think If I were gonna be using it for track days or frequent trips to Nurburg I'd be seriously considering the CSL. But the fact that I live in London, and will be lucky to get 1 trip to Nurburg a year and maybe an odd track day I think the Porsche would suit my needs better. I'd feel a bit of a nob sitting in traffic in a track car with no door handles! Looking at the stats for a 996 C4s its 316bhp and 0-60 in 5.2... is that about right? That's roughly the same as the M3 so am now thinking of saving a bit more and maybe going for the 997 s which has 385bhp. I know power isn't everything but it seems quite a jump....

My two peneth but you can't compare Beemers with Porkers, the drive aside the asthetics are a World apart. I like Beemers and they are great cars, and they look, well they look good. However the 911s on the other hand are stunningly beautiful machines - it's an absolute no brainer for me.

I'd go 997 4s over 996 4s having been in and driven both but different price tags - although that maroon one on P1 with yellow ceramics it's stunning ad only 26k, but 136miles is a lot to start with. The 996 4s is a lovely car though - especially in black.

Or, as the gentleman says - if you can scrape up to a 996 the Turbo - I'd get one all day long. If I was living back in the UK right now I'd get one the moment I stepped off the plane they are so well priced. Now they really are a different world. If you haven't tried one is a must - man they are seriously Quick!!! The 996 turbo is the beat looking of lot too, especially the cab.

Good luck and let us know what you pick up.

Cheers

Dan. :grin:

mikee said:
I think If I were gonna be using it for track days or frequent trips to Nurburg I'd be seriously considering the CSL.

One of our mainstream forum members, Daniel, arranges trips to the Nurburgring twice a year for 911uk. Whatever car you drive I am sure you would be welcome to join.

mikee said:
Looking at the stats for a 996 C4s its 316bhp and 0-60 in 5.2... is that about right?

Yes, that's approx correct (in the Porsche handbook it's quoted as 320PS which is 316bhp).

mikee said:
... maybe going for the 997 s which has 385bhp.

This only true of the stock Generation 2 997 S models which as you say has 385bhp. The first generation 997 S models (2004 - 2008) have 355bhp.

There is, of course, the PowerKit optioned cars (option X51) which were/are available on the S models. On the Gen 1 cars, along with a few modifications, this boosted power to 381bhp. On the Gen 2 cars, this reads 408bhp.

However, as you say, power isn't everything and as 911DG says, you can't compare a car that has been built ground up as a sports car to a car that has been built for carrying the family though I will say that a CSL is unique. By virtue of a rear engined, rwd or 4wd chassis, power deployment will be very different from a front engined/rwd chassis. As I mentioned before, test drive a few before you decide as you appear to be a discerning buyer.

~ Maxie

mikee said:
Hi all...

I'm new here, just introduced meself on the noob page... :bye:

I'm sure it's a question asked a million times before but I could do with the advice. I am in the market for a 911, currently got an M3 Evo and X5. The M3 will be going and replaced with a 911 but not entirely sure which one to go for. I've always loved the 996 4s in Silver.... I've got a bit of a thing for silver cars, both my M3 and X5 are in silver.... and will have around £20-£25k to play with. What are the main advantages of the 4s over the 2s (996), and is the 997 4s a lot better than the 996 4s? Am I better to save a bit more wonga and go for a 997..?

Hi Mikee, welcome aboard the board.

Last autumn I swapped my beloved 328Ci for a long awaited 911. The only other car I considered was an M3 so I can empathise with you completely.

My purchase budget was a strict £25k as I'd already sussed that running costs would be high and, as I wanted a car made in the 21st Century, I never got beyond looking at 996s.

I seriously considered a 996C4S but after viewing lots of cars I decided that I preferred the narrow body. I've never regretted the choice - especially as mine's Seal Grey, BUT ........

Since I was looking the asking prices for 996s have slipped by 10% and the asking prices of the S model seem to have gone up by 10%.

The C4S seems to be so well thought of that values may well hold for a while whereas, unfortunately, I foresee 996 prices continuing to slide.

Good luck with your search.

T8

ps. I may have read your OP wrongly but there is no such thing as a 996C2S. The wide bodied cars were all 4wd.

i think it'll be the 996 c4s that i go for. It's the one I always thought I would get if that makes sense, and can always trade up to a 997 in a couple of years if i feel the need. Thanks for the advice... think i'll stsrt asking questions on the 996 page now!

:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back