Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My First Porsche 911......

Oli.

Trainee
I'm in the market for my first Porsche 911, and its been a long time coming. Do I run out and buy a 997 C2S, around mid £30's, or do I break myself in gently with a nice 964 and work myself up??? I can afford both, but with different funding options. If I get the 997 it will be the wife's main car to ferry the kids around in, as I run a car rental business/independant garage, so use one of my hire vehicle to commute, and have plenty of bigger cars to use if necessary If I get the 964 I will keep the 335D for my missus to run about in.

Decisions, decisions, any help much appreciated.....

Welcome to 911uk :bye:

Those two cars are very VERY different from one another.

You need to drive both.

Do you want a car to learn about, or one to go terribly fast in from day one? Is depreciation an issue? Don't forget a warranty for the newer car.

Ive restored cars in the past, and that would be the route with the 964! However I have driven the 997 T4S and loved it. I guess I'm sort of answering my own question. Depreciation, Insurance and running costs aren't an issue, as I will 'hopefully' buy the car right!

Hi Oli
997 is a great choice, not sure about the 964 though ???????????????????

Drive one then try a 993 or even better for a contrast from 997 try a 3.2 Carerra? presumably it wont be your daily runner?

Oli. said:
Ive restored cars in the past, and that would be the route with the 964! However I have driven the 997 T4S and loved it. I guess I'm sort of answering my own question. Depreciation, Insurance and running costs aren't an issue, as I will 'hopefully' buy the car right!

The 964 is a great car, although I would buy the best one you can find rather than go down the restoration route.... Porsche parts are really expensive.

Hi

As a tool to just drive then it has to be a 997. As something to play with as well as drive then a 964. I get as much pleasure out of working on my 993 as I do driving it. That is hard to understand for some but for me working on the car is a hobby and Zen like relaxing experience (most of the time).

Buying a 964 that needs minor work may well be the way to go for you. Or if you are an OCD type then get the best one you can and start cleaning.

There is something about the torpedo tube view that you get in a 964 that I miss with a 993.

All the best

Berni

Thanks for all your replies so far. Went out in a 2003 targa today, albeit passenger seat, but loved it. Have sort of settled on a budget of £30k tops, which will be financed, which opens me up to, in my eyes, the following cars; (looking for manual only)

996 Carrera 4S
996 Carrera/Targa 3.6
997 Carrera
997 Carrera S

Obviously the 997s would be slightly higher mileage, but there do seem to be more and more coming onto the market at around £30k!

I have driven the latest 997s and loved them, but only 996 Turbo's. The car will be a bi-daily driver as I have other cars at my disposal - And my wife will be using it to ferry the bin-lids around. It would obviously be nice to be driving around in the latest shape 911, but the 996 4S is a stonking looking car! Private plate to be fitted so age really not a concern!

What are your thoughts??? Cheers in advance

Hi Oli - welcome to the forum. From your list, I've driven 3 of the cars there.

The 4S is definitely a looker and holding onto its residuals quite well - probably the best out of any 996 variant. However it does have the 996 Turbo suspension and results in quite a hard ride imo.

The Targa was my first Porsche which I ran for 3.5 years so I could go on at length about driving one of these. Briefly, it has a softer suspension set-up than the 4S, wonderful driving aura becuse of all that light from the glass roof, useful rear hatch, watch out that the roof operates properly and free of any leaks.

Carrera S - currently driving the 4wd version but a real everyday car.

If you enjoy a more involving drive then don't ignore the 993 - the guys on this forum seem to rave on about them all the time and can't seem to stop admiring their backsides (the car's, not their own) especially if it's the widebody S version which your budget could get you into. Seriously though, the 993 is worth a look.

~ Maxie

Id love a 993, but I could be doing up to and over 10k a year, plus decent Carrera 2S are over £30k and harder to finance - Finance is important as I get a mileage allowance through my business. Servicing, Insurance and fuel are irrelevant, as I can afford these on all models!

Oli. said:
Id love a 993, but I could be doing up to and over 10k a year, plus decent Carrera 2S are over £30k and harder to finance - Finance is important as I get a mileage allowance through my business. Servicing, Insurance and fuel are irrelevant, as I can afford these on all models!

Can you stretch to £31k? JZM Machtech have a lovely low-mileage 993 C4S in their showroom. If you're financing, speak to Jamie on here or go the Finance section of the forum where you'll see his website being advertised. He has financed quite a few of the members' cars on this forum.

~ Maxie

Hi I started looking for a 997 c2s tip cab to use as a daily driver for the wife instead of a clk she currently has but then decided saw a 996 C4s manual cab for me to use as a weekend car...... Sorry Mrs M but you have to keep the CLk :thumb:

I have been amazed by the 996 c4s it drives great , the ride is great not as hard as my 3.2 Club Sport I had, mpg is great (34 on a motorway run) very quick but also docile when you want it to be round town.
Very pleased I had a manual now as more sporty IMO.
As Maxie say they hold their £ better as well :grin:

And they look the best as well

I hope you make the right choice

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back