Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Warranty Renewal on 996 C4S

eazlth

I have had my C4S for nearly a year now and would like to renew the Porsche warranty, but I am not sure which OPC to take it to. (I have made my mind up to renew the OPC warranty, so I am not after a debate on OPC vs independent warranties thanks :hand: )

I haven't been impressed with the service at Nottingham on my last few visits and would like to try somewhere else. I want to get it done with the least amount of hassle and by someone who applies some common sense, rather than just going off what the computer tells them.

I think I will need a front radiator replacing as there is a minor leak, which Nottingham said wasn't covered under my existing warranty as the car had been involved in an accident! It clearly has not.

Where do you guys recommend? I have heard that Cambridge are very good and understanding and I don't mind taking the wife on an extended shopping trip somewhere while it is being done. Anyone use Leicester regularly or know of anyone else in the Midlands area?

Many thanks
Lee

Cambridge:
Last 111pt check through up a craked filler cap hindge, but failed to note the fcuked tyre walls.
I asked them to investigate a rattle from rear when reversing, they said it was normal... My nearside heat sheild fell off 2 weeks later!
The service and parts staff are very nice though...
I'm desperate for a decent indy in the area......
However, I will be trying for a warranty there soon....So I'll see what else they can find has gone wrong in the last 2000miles.

My warranty renewal letter came through today. £1079 for a year or £2095 for two years. I am tempted to go for the two years, as presumably it will save me the cost of one 111 point inspection? I also thought it would secure it at the current price as it may go up slightly over the coming months?

What do you guys reckon? The 111 point check as Wilmslow (where I purchased the car) is £180+vat. Is this a standard rate, or should I expect to pay less somewhere else?

Anyone had any good/bad experiences at Leicester? I imagine they are all much the same, but I won't be going back to Nottingham.

Are you a member of PCGB? There used to be free 111pt checks offered to such members at participating dealerships. Cambridge & West London have offered in the past.

~ Maxie

eazlth said:
I think I will need a front radiator replacing as there is a minor leak, which Nottingham said wasn't covered under my existing warranty as the car had been involved in an accident! It clearly has not.

Reading wanted to charge me for new rads when they said they were leaking due to stone punctures, yet Guildford replaced them under warranty... WTF!!
Why can't these morons just get it together...?

I do think the OPC warranty is good value if you have a major problem, but I won't be renewing mine. I think you just need to shop around like you are doing, but if you search on here for warranty related questions, you can make a list of questions to ask the OPC BEFORE you take out the warranty as to whether the items are covered or not.

Find issues on here where owners have questioned whether a problem is warranty or not, or if they've been given conflicting advice from OPC's, then make a list of those issues, and clarify it with your OPC, preferably in an email or writing, before you take the warranty. That way, the grey area's and most common 'warranty or not' questions, you would have covered...

know what I mean? :dont know:

Thanks Spectraluk, good advice.

Having done a few searches on here, I am tempted to take it to OPC Solihull. They appear to be the best of a bad bunch.

I took my car in to my local Kwikfit today to get the tread measured on the rear tyres. It is about 2mm, which I believe is under the threshold (3mm) for the warranty to be renewed.

To maintain a matching set i need Michelin Pilot Sports, N1, 295/30/18. I was quoted a whopping £370 from Kwikfit! I can't seem to find anywhere on the web that does them, can anyone help?

Surely £370 is more than an OPC? I will be ringing Solihull in the morning to check.

Hi Eazlth

Take out the warranty. My C4S lived under a OPC warranty all its life, it was peace of mind knowing the car is protected.
911 owner with warranty= Get in and drive
911 without warranty= Check under car for oil leaks> go for drive> Check under car for oil leaks.

I agree with conflicting decisions as to if an replacement item is covered or not. I used to ring another dealership (mainly Cambridge) to see if they covered the part under warranty if mine (Newcastle) said otherwise. 99% of the time the outcome was positive.

As for tyres Porsche Newcastle quoted me £300 for N1's, Kwik fit quoted £370, I told them I had a better deal, they instantly dropped their price to £290. Try it.

My car was supplied and serviced from new by Cambridge OPC until it was to old for the warranty, so it's now on the Hartech scheme. I used their services for three years and found them helpful, knowledgeable and very good value for an OPC.

The Hartech initial Gold service only revealed things Cambridge had told me about, so I think they are thorough with older cars.

They are having an open service day some time in September, free check on the ramp etc.

I find Event tyres excellent. Good prices and they come to you to fit and balance

Elitedirect.com for tyres, they're pretty much the cheapest I found. If you are nearby, they'll fit. If not, they'll deliver. Then you just need to pay your local monkey £30 or £40 to fit and balance etc...

Make sure you tell them to take care of your alloys. I have a good local guy that I've been using for years, and he knows how anul I am. Never be shy about being anul.

:thumb:

spectraluk said:
Elitedirect.com for tyres, they're pretty much the cheapest I found. If you are nearby, they'll fit. If not, they'll deliver. Then you just need to pay your local monkey £30 or £40 to fit and balance etc...

Make sure you tell them to take care of your alloys. I have a good local guy that I've been using for years, and he knows how anul I am. Never be shy about being anul.

:thumb:

I know exactly how it is SpectralUK, I am exactly the same when it comes to my car.

I rang Sutton Coldfield and they have quoted £352, but will not discount because they know that they are rarer than hens teeth. I tried the PCGB line, but they were having none of it. I have reserved their last two and they will be fitted when it goes for its 111pt check. I rang a guy I normally use for tyres and he has quoted £323 (discounted from £370), but he has not been able to find any N1's so far. He is still looking, but it looks like it might cost me an extra £50 to have them done at the OPC. I will try elitedirect.com now to see what they have.

Many thanks
Lee

The good news is that the Michelin Pilot Sport N1's are still listed, so I guess they can be sourced, but it says 'ring for a price'. I will give them a call in the morning, thanks.

Edited: I just noticed that the thumbnail shown for these tyres doesn't look like the tread pattern I currently have. Is it likely that the image is incorrect, or is it possible that they a different derivative to the Pilot Sports fitted currently?

http://www.elitedirect.com/Tyres/Ty...&profile=30&rim=18&Submit23=Search+Database+>

Just got back from Porsche Centre Sutton Coldfield. I would just like to say how pleased I am with the service I received and that it was the best encounter I have had with an OPC yet. Very knowledgable, friendly staff and they didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need.

I have renewed the warranty for 2 years, saving myself the anxiety of another 111pt check and £200. They replaced two of the coil packs for me while I waited and have agreed to replace one of the door seals because it has split.

This brings me to the end of my first year of ownership and 10,000 happy miles. I have spent the following so far:

£700 Insurance
£700 service, including air con
£125 for a wheel arch liner
£700 two Michelin Pilot sports (N1 - hence high price)
£2300 two year warranty renewal

I have had the following replaced under the warranty:

Two coil packs
MAF sensor
Oil pressure sensor
Door seal
Metal trim at base of fabric roof

I think the one year warranty I had (£900) has pretty much paid for itself, with the added comfort of having peace of mind and no scary big bills to worry about. I think £5K a year is about right to run a car like this (obviously this is proportional to annual mileage and mine might be higher than some). This obviously doesn't cover fuel, but the computer says I have averaged 28.5mpg since I picked her up last September. I am taking this figure with a pinch of salt, but I believe that it is probably mid-twenties.

Regards
Lee

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back