Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Carrera Cup GB 2010 Race 3 & 4 Rockingham

Porsche News

Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain 2010 - Race 3 & 4 Rockingham

Harvey takes double Carrera Cup pole at Rockingham

Tim Harvey claimed a double pole position in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB during qualifying at Rockingham today (Saturday 24 April) for rounds three and four of the championship.

Ollie Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) headed pro-am1 with a mighty performance that put him in the top four overall for both races, while Mark Hazell (JHR) and Steve Parish (Addison Lee Motorbase) shared the top times in pro-am2.

Harvey (Red Line Racing) went straight out of the blocks onto pole for the opening race with a lap that was nearly four-tenths of a second clear of the rest of the 27-car pack. "Four-tenths on Michael Caine is quite a nice gap," said Harvey. "The set-up is working really well." Harvey then turned in a second best lap that was strong enough to secure pole position for race two.

Caine (Motorbase Performance) will start both races from second on the grid, despite a big scare when he clipped the wall on the exit of the flat out Turn One. "My first run was ruined by a red flag and then I clipped the wall and knocked the tracking out," said Caine.

Third fastest for the opening race was a tremendous result for Jackson. "I got the most out of the tyres and I'm well chuffed with that," said Jackson, who topped pro-am1 for both races. "This is where I want to be." Stephen Jelley (Team Parker Racing) also had a strong session to post fourth and third best times.

Carrera Cup Scholarship driver Euan Hankey (Team Parker Racing) and Tom Bradshaw (JHR) were fifth and sixth fastest for both races. "We just need to have a look at the data," said Bradshaw, who had hoped for better times.

A fine performance from Archie Hamilton (Red Line Racing) left him well inside the top 10 overall and second in pro-am1 to Jackson for both races. "I'm very happy," said the teenager. "The car was perfect; I've gained a lot of confidence from looking at Tim Harvey's data," said Hamilton of his more experienced team mate.

Another great effort from Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) put him third in pro-am1 on his first visit to Rockingham, while Tony Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing) was fourth in pro-am1 for the opening race from his first flying lap, but then spun into the gravel on his second flying lap. That means he will start the second race from the back of the grid.

It was very close in pro-am2 as Hazell and Parish each claimed a pole position. For the opening race, Hazell was just five-thousandths of a second ahead of McMenamin (Red Line Racing), with Parish third. However, for the second race, Parish heads McMenamin and Hazell.

Attachments

• rock1_110.jpg
    rock1_110.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17,861
Harvey wins Carrera Cup round three at Rockingham

Tim Harvey completed a hat-trick of early season race wins in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Rockingham today (Saturday 24 April) in round three of the championship. Harvey led from the start and fended off the challenge of Michael Caine to extend his championship lead.

Ollie Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) scored an emphatic pro-am1 victory from Tony Gilham (Collins Redesign Racing), while Mark Hazell (JHR) made it a hat-trick of wins in pro-am2 from Steve Parish (Addison Lee Motorbase).

Harvey converted his pole position into an opening lap lead and with Caine on his tail they quickly started to edge clear of Euan Hankey (Team Parker Racing) who battled through to third in the opening laps. As ever, Harvey and Caine were very evenly matched and the gap was seldom more than a second.

Harvey had the better pace initially, but Caine came back strongly mid-race and was close enough to run side-by-side with his rival into Deane Hairpin on lap 10. But Harvey stayed ahead and dealt with a late safety car period to win by just over half a second.

"I pushed quite hard early on," said Harvey. "But then I had to have a word with myself to tidy it up. Three wins on the trot is the best start to a season I've ever had in Carrera Cup." Caine felt that he had the pace to win, but the safety car didn't help his plans. "I think our car was better today, but there wasn't much in it," he said.

Hankey ran a secure third to score a hat-trick of podiums, while Jackson drove a fine race to take fourth and win pro-am1. For much of the race, Jackson was under pressure from Tom Bradshaw (JHR), but a rear puncture later sent Bradshaw into a brush with the wall at Turn One and the safety car was sent out while his stricken car was moved.

"Hankey got the break on me early on, so I was just sitting there looking after my tyres," said Jackson after a nicely measured drive. Under the safety car, Gilham was able to close up to Jackson, but it also brought Glynn Geddie (Team Parker Racing) up to Gilham's tail and at the re-start Geddie dived briefly ahead. "Geddie got a run on me and that cost me the chance to go after Jackson," said Gilham. Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) completed the pro-am1 podium, with Ahmad Al Harthy (Red Line Racing) in fourth.

Until the final lap of the race, McMenamin (Red Line Racing) led pro-am2, the safety car closed the gap right up and allowed Parish to attack the leader into Deane for the final time. "I was putting pressure on him and he outbraked himself," said Parish, who nipped through as McMenamin spun. Though Parish took the flag, he was later penalised two seconds for passing Hazell under a yellow flag and so it was Hazell who was confirmed as the pro-am2 winner from Parish and George Brewster (Celtic Speed) as a very frustrated McMenamin finally finished seventh.

Attachments

• rock2_157.jpg
    rock2_157.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 17,840
Harvey does the Carrera Cup double at Rockingham

Tim Harvey completed a perfect start to his season by making it four wins in a row in the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Rockingham today (Sunday 25 April) in round four of the championship.

Ollie Jackson (Addison Lee Motorbase) completed a perfect weekend with a second pro-am1 victory from Tony Gilham (Collins Redesign Racing), while McMenamin (Red Line Racing) clinched pro-am2 glory from Steve Parish (Addison Lee Motorbase). Jackson took the 'driver of the weekend' award, while Motorbase Performance was confirmed as the 'team of the weekend'.

"That's the best start I've ever had to a Carrera Cup season; we've all worked very hard for that and the guys in the Red Line team have done a great job," said Harvey, after extending his series lead to 12 points. Harvey led the field into the first corner and, despite the race-long presence of Michael Caine (Motorbase Performance), was able to control the race from the front to complete a clean sweep of victories.

Caine never quite felt he could challenge the leader as strongly as he had done in Saturday's race. "I struggled with the front of the car; we had a better car yesterday than we did today," said Caine. "There was a big scramble into the hairpin on the first lap and early on I had to defend from Glynn Geddie."

The first lap scramble included a big attack from Euan Hankey (Team Parker Racing) who tried a bold move around the outside but spun. He rejoined at the tail of the field but further around the lap had to spin to avoid a pro-am2 tangle and ended his race in the gravel. Up front, Harvey and Caine edged clear as Geddie (Team Parker Racing) headed his team mate Stephen Jelley and Jackson.

That was how they finished as Geddie and Jelley scored their best results of the season to date and signaled their intention to challenge Harvey and Caine over the coming races.

Jackson was elated to take his third pro-am1 victory from four races with another faultless performance, while Charlie Bateman (Motorbase Performance) battled through to sixth to finish the weekend on a high note. Seventh, having started at the back of the grid, was Gilham (Collins ReDesign Racing) who drove a superb race.

"I had a few close shaves on the opening lap, but I had to go for it," said Gilham. Despite a mid-race spin, Jonas Gelzinis (Juta Racing) bagged another podium finish with third in pro-am1 from Ahmad Al Harthy (Red Line Racing).

Attachments

• rock3_136.jpg
    rock3_136.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 17,812

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back