Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

rev counter

azz

Hi the rev counter on my 89 930 waves around all over the place when i accellerate hard. Has any one fitted a replacement after market one or can mine be repaired?

Cheers Azz

Azz,

Do you get any misfiring as well? Only ask as I had a rev counter that jumped around all over the place and it turned out to be a duff distributor, there was nothing wrong with the rev counter. Was a costly process to get to the root of the problem.

Hi I will listen more carefully but i have not noticed a miss fire.
the needle just seems to wave arround with no resemblance to the revs

I just had a slight misfire and a lumpy engine under hard accelerating, sometimes happened at a constant higher speed as well. Whenver the engine got a bit lumpy the rev counter was flying all over the place. Replaced the spark box(from where the rev counter gets its' signal I believe) and that made no difference.

Problem solved as soon as a new distributor was put in. Perhaps worth checking as I started off with the same symptom as you and the mechanic replaced the leads / cdi box / coil before putting the car though a road test and finding the real problem. Quite costly all in as well.

Hi Steve.
Did your rev counter wave around inaccurately when blipping the throttle at a standstill? Mine cant keep up with the engine and just bounces around.

Cheers Azz

Azz,

It did wave around all over the place when I blipped the throttle at standstill. In hindsight though it happened whenever the distributor was playing up. This problem came on slowly over a year, it started off with the rev counter just waving all over the place then the misfiring / lumpy engine started. New leads solved it for a while but it got to a point where the engine was too lumpy under load and pretty much undriveable.

This could be down to your alternator also. Get a multimetre on your battery when the car Is running and make sure you are getting 14 or just over volts. Anymore and the alternator Is screwed and you are on the road to cook your battery..or worse. Good luck and report back how you go on. I had this Issue also.

Hi all. To update story so far. Decided to overhaull the top end while the engine was out for new clutch. So havent driven it to check on the rev counter issue.Fitting a full stainless Fab Speed exhaust too.I will keep you all updated. Hope to fire it up this week.

Cheers Azz

Been slack. Just re fitted engine and fab speed exhaust. engine keeps ticking over too high. I have lowered it twice to no avail. It hunts when on a steady throttle. When i rev it, it comes on boost then miss fires when i close the throttle it back fires HELP !!!

Oh and the rev counter no longer works everything else works ok

hope you can help im getting fed up with this !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stoker
Back