Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Harness loom replaced under recall and found...........

berni29

Hi There

Went to pick up my 993 from the OPC this evening and the service manager showed me some wiring that they changed under the recall. About 3 inches was totally burnt with bare wires and no insulation left. I am used to older cars and dodgy wiring, but even the colour blind Lotus electrical workers in the 60s and 70s would have been proud of this result. I cannot really believe that it did not short out.

Someone in a post I read about the recall said it was a service rather than a safety recall. Well I can assure you it is a safety issue!

As many have said, if you have not checked your car on this then get it checked.

Berni

When I started rambling on about this a while ago(re the cedric thread) some said I was just "scaremongering"

This is what happens.....it can then start to overfuel and spew petrol which can then get ignited....possibly bye bye 993 :eek: :eek: .

Glad you got it sorted but there are still 993's running about with the wiring recal undone.

A quick phone call to your OPC with the VIN is worth doing if your unsure.

berni29 said:
Hi There

About 3 inches was totally burnt with bare wires and no insulation left.
Berni

Goodness me! Thank god you got the car checked out under the safety recall Berni! :eek:

Hi Wizard

I had been meaning to get in touch with Porsche and have it checked, but it was reading your posts in that thread that made it a priority for me, so many thanks!

As an aside the rear blower works now so I can have some heat in the car, so happy days there.

All the best

Berni

Chaps,

I know my car definitely hasn't had the recall and am trying to get it booked in ASAP. Is there any way of checking myself how bad my wires might be?! Getting slightly worried!

Pierre

Hi pierrebear,

If the car hasn't blown up yet it probably wont. Just book it into Porsche and they will do the recall for FREE. I had an outstanding recall for the 2 front locking motors on my cabriolet top, although I'd never had a problem since ownership in 2000. Didn't get it done in Kuwait when I was there didn't get it done in the UK while the car was there either. I had it sorted by Porsche in Alicante Spain in 2011 :thumb: no charge and a nice job, the motors were around €300 each :eek: They also told me that if and when I wanted to sell the car to get in touch :D

ATB :)

Thanks very much decgraham - coming to the rescue once again :thumbs:

Having done some Rennlist digging, I found the offending part numbers on the technical work sheet from Porsche Cars N. America. The car is at a local garage today for the thermostat and cooling fan repair and I've asked them to tell me what the part number on my wiring loom is.

Given the age of the car and depending on whether I have one of the offending part numbers, I think I'll probably bite the bullet (read pay lots of money for a ferry) and take the car over to a Porsche Classic Centre in GB soon.

Pierre,

Just give Porsche UK a call give them your VIN / Chassis number and they will tell you if the recall has been done or is needed.

You can then arrange your trip to the U.K. From what I have read it's a 2 days job.

Thanks, Graham. I have given them my chassis number and they've confirmed that it hasn't had the recall but does need it.

The issue was more that *apparently* they only replace in the event that particular part numbers are present (see page 12 of 36 in the attached using page numbers at bottom left corner: https://members.rennlist.com/pcaracing/files/harness/NA_Harness_TSB.pdf) - and they are not able to tell that from simply looking up the chassis number.

Anyways, I'll be booking a trip back to the UK soon - hopefully whilst the sun is still shining.

Cheers,

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for the link I didn't have that Technical Service Bulletin :thumb:
Just went out and checked my rear harness and mine is 993.607.016.16 so all OK. I knew that there wasn't a recall on my harness but no harm in double checking.

Reading this forum is the automotive equivalent, or reading a medical encyclopaedia. As said in 3 men in a boat 'you end up thinking you've got everything except housemaid's knee!'

This thread is a good heads up and worth taking note of.

My car is a 1997 car which Porsche GB confirmed is not subject to the recall as the loom issues had been rectified by then. But I have had an issue with mine and a wire degrading that caused ignition timing problems and many hours of diagnostic work to resolve. No idea what year the recall was issued but there is no escaping the wiring is over 20-years old.

Maybe a fire extinguisher is a good idea :?:

Yeah, I am tempted to buy a fire extinguisher to keep especially for longer road trips etc. I am going to get it booked in with an OPC Classic Centre asap - just waiting for Hatfield and Swindon to call me back.

Agreed that it is worth checking to ensure that one's wiring harness has been redone. I had a quick look and mine is one of the offending part numbers as seen in the Technical Service Booklet.

Couple of pics attached - part number is on the white sticker on the wires themselves. The date was written on in fountain pen! :lol:

Wires in the box itself look absolutely fine, but the issue (as I understand it) might well be what's happening elsewhere in the harness where there's more heat...

Attachments

• img_2987_174.jpg
    img_2987_174.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 5,619
  • img_2988_114.jpg
    img_2988_114.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 5,619

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member