Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster loaner!

Indy

Silverstone
Still sorting the key issue out...

Latest loaner is a Boster S with a few toys, including the PDK transmission. A nice loaner by all accounts, but;

The Boxter really doesn't compare, does it?

Sure, it goes like hell, especially off the line with Chrono and launch, despite the 100hp less than my C2, I doubt it's slower.

It's certainly noisier though, harsher, cheaper feeling and, oh, did I say noisier?

I had a headache after only 20 minutes caning it's poor little arse off, and the fuel consumption was appalling under such use.

I miss the PASM equiped C2's better damping, beautifully quiet cabin, rear visibility and huge stability.

Not quite what I expected to be honest. The PDK I hate. It's fussy, unpredictable and despite the fact it offers maximum performance given the power, it's just not as refined as a well used manual.

Still great nevertheless, but it shows how easy to live with the 911 really is.... :thumbs:

Interesting comparison and particularly on the consumption, I'm sure plenty of us secretly hope the Boxster is no match, despite liking them.

Although with the soft top you would expect it to be slightly noisier, but I had a friend who had a '7 C2S and found that very noisy which was a reason to sell. Is there a sportier exhaust on the S over the normal C2?

I had a Cayman for last year's service.

Drove me round the bend (sorry, no pun intended)

The boom from having the blinking engine effectively in the same compartment as the driver was almost unbearable. After the first 20 minutes of interest generated by this new "feature", it soon wore very thin.

Unfortunately, I ended up having the car for 6 days as a part for my car was delayed from Germany (just before Christmas) and then the techy working on my car/assigned to my car went off sick!

In the end, although I had planned to get some other works down on the car, I begged the service dept to return my car ASAP as "the courtesy car wasn't quite as nice as mine and I was getting withdrawal symptoms!".

This year I booked my courtesy car 6/7 weeks early and opted for a manual Boxster or 911. I said to the STM: "Sorry to sound rude, but please could I have anything but a Cayman!".

I owned a 2005 987s from new back in 2005 and loved it. yes it is noisier, I had full leather (including dash etc) so the interior was practically the same as my gen 2 c4s. I thought it went really well and not a million miles away from my c4s in terms of straight line speed. But I would say the 911 is more a GT car and the Boxster a sports car so its bound to be a little more raw. Much prefer the comfort and room of my 911 though.

Sooooo glad I didn't actually buy a Boxster now, as it's really starting to grate.

It's harsh, noisy, bouncy and the PDK gearbox is a bag of crap.

Fair enough, straight line performance is shattering, aided by the frenzied
PDK tranny, but the whole thing is tiring and feels cheap.

The lovely 911 by comparison is a quiet haven in which to enjoy vastly better traction and perfect damping.

Tomorrow will be a happy day indeed.... :thumbs:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back