Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another exhaust rattle thread....any fixes

Having put my car in for investigation for a noisy rattle on cold start (sounds like a wheel nut rolling around in a biscuit tin until warm) they garage has said nothing is wrong inside the box and they have seen it before and its 'ok'. I've noticed a few people have had a similar problem but i've not spotted any conclusive evidence to say it is a problem or not. Some people say its 'usual' which my garage is hinting at, others say its a problem that needs fixing. I can't really see how this can be usual for £70k+ sports car?? I've not got ar5sey with the garage yet because I respect them and they are a great bunch but i'm not very happy.

I've got a really expensive nice car that sounds awful when starting it up...to the point where people have told me at the supermarket that it sounds dodgy!! Once its warmed up it sounds great and everything else about the car is awesome :dont know:

Not really sure what to do next but this is really a big disappointment for me and not a great intro into the world of water cooled porkers.

Anybody had any joy in fixing the problem and what was it?

I've seen several 997's with similar symptoms & there is nothing wrong with the exhaust system.
On cold start up additional air pumps run pushing extra air into the engine to aid the warm up phase & get the Catalytic convertors to optimium temperature quicker.
The noise you are hearing is induced by this additional air & is completely normal.
Hope this helps.

I have a rattle from the rear box area when starting from cold and when I floor the accelerator it makes this cool V8 muscle car type shake down..

Is this what you are hearing? If it is my dads does the same...

Personally think it sounds cool and wish it still did it when warm! :thumb:

pohnjiper said:
I've seen several 997's with similar symptoms & there is nothing wrong with the exhaust system.
On cold start up additional air pumps run pushing extra air into the engine to aid the warm up phase & get the Catalytic convertors to optimium temperature quicker.
The noise you are hearing is induced by this additional air & is completely normal.
Hope this helps.

Hmm interesting....how do we explain how some make a rattle noise and some don't? My friends sounds great from cold start and doesn't even hint at a rattle

freddie44 said:
I have a rattle from the rear box area when starting from cold and when I floor the accelerator it makes this cool V8 muscle car type shake down..

Well I like the grunt, pops and rumbles on muscle cars but this is tinny and sounds like a dwarf is making popcorn inside a small oil drum! I.e. not nice :lol:

Oh and this is a problem with the standard exhaust system not the PSE. Have you both got PSE?

rattle

Mine was in at OPC for something else - when the guy delivered it back he noticed on cold startup that it was rattling a bit. He booked it in following week and changed both the baffles for free. Car is under warranty but apparently it was kind of done under good will rather than warranty.

Sounds back to normal now without that rattle (though still loud when cold )

119911 said:
freddie44 said:

Well I like the grunt, pops and rumbles on muscle cars but this is tinny and sounds like a dwarf is making popcorn inside a small oil drum! I.e. not nice :lol:

Oh and this is a problem with the standard exhaust system not the PSE. Have you both got PSE?

I have this sometimes, but it was only after I had larger Tips put on my new exhaust, the two pipe design, I wonder is its in that

I got the same problem after leaving my car in the garage for a couple of weeks while I was away on vacation. The car became very loud before it warmed up and vibration (seats and door panels) became quite noticeable even when the engine is warm. Took it to OPC West London who kept it for a couple of days. They told me there was nothing wrong at all with the car. There was nothing I could do so I am just living with it. When the problem first appeared, the noise was really not healthy and I was even concerned that the engine was about to blow. It is a little better now but the vibration is still there.

I also got an issue with the brakes squealing. Agian they told me it was "normal". Wondering if I should have gotten a Merc now....

My 2004 997 C2S has (recently started) making a loose rattly noise from the back, most noticable when cold at startup, low revs/slow speed under load (junctions etc). I had the (indie) garage that supplied it check whilst it had its MOT... they said they couldn't find any problems (no loose exhaust joints etc)

I'm now waiting for something to fall off... !?!

My 2004 997 C2S has (recently started) making a loose rattly noise from the back, most noticable when cold at startup, low revs/slow speed under load (junctions etc). I had the (indie) garage that supplied it check whilst it had its MOT... they said they couldn't find any problems (no loose exhaust joints etc)

I'm now waiting for something to fall off... !?!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back