Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Living with a 997

Ant22

I am planning to buy a 997. Before doing so I would appreciate owner feedback. In particular, how easy it is to live with a 997 that is parked on the street. I used to own a 993 (targa) but suffered stolen wing mirrors stolen rear light clusters & a frequently flat battery ...
Please could people tell me if the 997 suffers the same or other parts theft & if th more modern battery is more forgiving of business travel induced idleness.
Many thanks!

Hi, I've got a 997 C2S which I have owned for 2 1/2 years now. Daily use, parked outside (albeit on the drive).

Have never had an issue with the battery even when returning from 2 weeks away. Always starts first time. After a period of being idle the key loses its charge but once in the ignition it charges again.

As for stolen parts, never on mine but I guess if its happened in your road on multiple occasions you will probably get the same.

I don't have any paranoia parked on the drive, but I think leaving it on the street would do my head in, every time a delivery truck or dust cart is about..

Regarding parking outside on the street, I dont think I would be too keen depending on what the neighbourhood is like. Some scote is bound to do something to it. Some years ago I lived in a nice village and had to park on the street directly outside my house and some barstool undid all 4 wheel nuts on the rear and when I got up for work to drive away the rear fell off.

Having just yesterday had my other car (Vauxhall Tigra) pranged by a coach while parked outside my house, I don't think I could sleep nights knowing my car was parked on the road. The Insurance would be pretty scary too!

Don't park on the street.Asking for trouble.I live in a very nice area,but would never park on the street.Always going to be jealous loser who is going to want to key it.

I dont like parking my car anywhere....., everytime I go back to it - I always check to see if any scratches etc. I dont even like it just left on my drive, would put it in my garage everytime, if it wasnt such a faff!

But, then again, life is too short anyway.....?

I park mine on the street in a 'good' area - the Victorians around my way didn't predict cars when building their terraces! The only problem I've had in two years is wheel centres pilfered and two broken front numberplates from careless neighbours. I did buy expecting to have to spray the front and rear bumpers for that reason every now and then... Insurance is not expensive because of it, either.

My only tip, spec parking sensors for parking on streets, they make life easy when you cannot see the rear when squeezing into spaces (sw London, no choice).

Don't let street parking stop you enjoying these fantastic cars. It even fits my 2 month old daughter in a maxi cosi seat (if anyone wants to know how) with space for the wife (5' 6'', not a midget!).

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Looks like parts theft isn't endemic, battery life also sounds great. So the question is street parking! Much appreciated input.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back