Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I'm thinking of buying 997

nqtraderman

is there much difference in performance and driveability between the 3.6 and the 3.8 ? It seems that the 3.8 sells better than the 3.6 ?

I'll be using it as a daily driver, although not doing big mileage each year, are they as reliable as my BMW 330 ?

Any do's .. don'ts .. and advice when looking for one ?

thanks

The difference is 30Bhp (correction) for Gen1 so there is some performance difference but if you take a basic 911C2 and 911C2S 997 then you have PASM/PSM 19" wider wheels etc as standard.
Now if you get a high specification 997C2 then you might come close to the 997C2S in terms of performance.
But again the difference is marginal and very likely the driver will make the difference and not the car.
I originally wanted to get a C2S but I ended up buying a C2 with top specs and low millage so you need make up a decision which bits are more important
Also are you talking new or used?????

Theo

Hi, thanks for that info - I'm a complete newbie w/regard to 911's

I'm probably looking at an 05, maybe 06 about £40k ish

:welcome:

I think the difrerence between the non S and S is 30bhp (325 vs 355)

For your budget you would certainly be able to get a nice example of either model :thumbs:

My advice would be to test both and see which suits you and your driving needs best, and it will certainly be fun finding out :)

As for reliability, I've only had my 997 for 4 months but no issues so far - had my 996 for 3.5 years and only really minor things went wrong, not unlike you would have expected with any car.......

nqtraderman said:
is there much difference in performance and driveability between the 3.6 and the 3.8 ? It seems that the 3.8 sells better than the 3.6 ?

I'll be using it as a daily driver, although not doing big mileage each year, are they as reliable as my BMW 330 ?

Any do's .. don'ts .. and advice when looking for one ?

thanks

Hello there,

I had the same budget (40k) but there was only one 997 for me to buy - the C2S

My reasons for this over the Carrera and Carrera 4 are that I only wanted the rear wheel drive (to me the purer porsche-some people say the 4 is for girls... :puh:) but I'd also always wonder what the Carrera S was like as it drove past me

The S, I would have thought would keep its value better too, as most people will want a second hand S and the prices for 996 and 993 Carrera vs S reflect that too

Anyway whatever really; either will provide you with a massive :) just go buy one!!!

:thumb:

Mark,
I thought the Porsche Warranty was invalidated in the event that the car was sold into the trade?

speedy_un said:
Mark,
I thought the Porsche Warranty was invalidated in the event that the car was sold into the trade?

I am sure that is correct. Could be that the car is being sold on behalf of a private owner, so the Porsche warranty can be transferred.

In terms of 3.6 v 3.8 differences: PASM as standard, quad exhausts and 30bhp (40bhp for GenII) are the only differences. Having driven both C2 and C4S Gen II, I would not be able to tell the difference.

'S' versions of the 997 do not have then same attraction as those for the 993 and, quick frankly, it's really just badge snobbery. Having said that, I would go for an S as the price difference is not great as there are so many more S compared with 3.6 models - and it's nice to be able to say you have a car with 350+ horses! :oops:

Thanks for the comments guys, I favoured the S to be honest anyway.

Any comments about reliability. I've been told that once the Porsche warranty runs out to buy the extra warranty through them as it will be needed sooner than you think. I probably only do 7000 a year but I don't want to be picking up hefty repair bills but there again I don't want to buy an expensive extra Porsche warranty if its not necessary as I will have to factor that into the purchase budget. Hence why I have a BMW 330i - it just runs and runs and costs me hardly anything in repairs

my first thoughts was an M3 .. but I do like the 911

any comments on 997 S2's reliability as daily drivers other than as weekend cars :?:

I have a 2006 997 C2 and can't deny an S would have been nice but having all the right toys, low milage and the price was right so I decided to forgo the additional 30bhp. When I was looking on PH there seemed less choice of 3.6 C2 with the extras.

A personal choice but either one i'm sure you'll enjoy ....... I certainly am :thumb:

I use mine every day and its great. But you need to factor in things like increase in tyre price, fuel usage etc over your current BMW. I get about 22-28mpg getting to work depending on how clear the roads are and how awake I am :p

Services are however pretty cheap and I think just about everyone on this forum would recommend a warranty for peace of mind.

997 is the daily drive sports car but you need to take into account the higher running costs. I know a lot of people on the forums also have a 2nd car, I use my girlfriends 106 for trips to the tip and supermarket etc

But seriously, if you want something with a bit more fun with some grunt take a 911 over an M3 every time...there is no substitute :thumb:

Hi, thanks for that

I haven't driven either the M3 or a 997 yet but on paper they look about similar performance I think .. but that's from memory.

How much are annual service costs .. £700 ? and tyres .. and the Porsche warranty after the standard 3 years has run out ?

thanks

nqtraderman said:
Hi, thanks for that

I haven't driven either the M3 or a 997 yet but on paper they look about similar performance I think .. but that's from memory.

How much are annual service costs .. £700 ? and tyres .. and the Porsche warranty after the standard 3 years has run out ?

thanks

Major service should be between 400-600 pounds (indy/OPC) but if you need brake pad/disks or anything else then it goes up so you should plan between 800-1000. Tyres depending if you have 18" (C2 standard) or 19" (optional on C2 & standard on C2S) a set of rears 295/30R19 will cost between 550-700 depending on the brand and a set of fronts 235/35R19 will cost around 400-500.
And as for the warranty is not standard 3 years but rather than 2 years and the extented warranty will take you back another 1400 a year. Plus 400 Road tax by the way (new gen2 C2 is 210)
Its a 70K+ car so it cost to keep it up and running..... Maybe its easy to buy but if you do not have the means to maintain then....
Petrol should be the least of your concerns by the way.

Theo

So there is a C2, a new model Gen2 C2 and the C2S is that right ?

what month/year was the Gen2 C2 released and what are the main differences between the Gen2 C2 and the previous C2 ?

thank you

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back