Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Finding the limits on 997 C2/C2s

KrisS3

As a newbie to Porsche and coming from an Audi quattro It's like learning to drive all over again. That's not meant as a bad thing, I wanted the rear wheel drive as the quattro was possibly too good and I wanted to be more involved with the drive. I need to get out on a track learning day as I want to push the cars handling to its limits (and beyond) to help me learn and understand its charictoristics. That will come but for now I'm intersted in feedback from you guys with 9972/2S. Excuse my questions if they are dumb but hey ho lets start with basics. Pushing hard on bends (at legal speeds) I've only ever seen the PSM light come on once although a) on occasion the back end feels as if its driffted vey slightly. b) Sometimes the front end feels as if it will let go before the back. So, on a dry day with decent tarmac will the back end always let go first ?? At what point does the back end goe i.e. schreaching tyres, PSM flashing madly, controlable back end drift or does it all let go suddenly ??? As said, I will eventually get off road but for now would appreciate your thoughts and experiences. I go to the Nurburgring once or twice a year and would do 9 minute laps in the Audi but suspension and quattro under steer were its limiting factors. Will be taking the Porsche next spring but betwwen now and then just need to build up some experience with it.

Mine is a 997 with S wheels so has a little more rubber. Also has PASM which I'm also interested in your thoughts on when pushing on.

Many thanks.

congrats on the car. i just got the 4s and asked an almost identical question. looks like some of the dynamics are similar with regards to lifting off mid corner during hard acceleration. you may want to check my post a few weeks ago for some pointers.

enjoy 8)

Hiya, had a read of your thread, good to get first hand feed back.

My problem is I don't know how to throttle off mid corner, I just plant it and see what happens :D

Enjoying the car but over time I want to be able to master it to the best of my ability. Don't know how the C4 handles but with my old quattro I could hardly do wrong wet or dry. Push it into a corner hard and it will slightly understeer and take you round with little drama. Push it into a corner well beyond its road holding ability and it would just drift controlably wide with no stepping out front or back. Fun, but the challange of rear 2 wheel drive has arrisen.

Thanks for the link. Agreed its the knd of course I want to have a go at, just need to find the time and one preferably in the Midlands (ish).

No one on here in the RAF that could gets us on the runway when its quite on a Sunday ....... No, oh well just a thought :)

I'd highly recommend Car Control course @ the Porsche Experience Centre in Silverstone - it's truly excellent and well worth the money.

90 mins of power sliding somebody elses C2S is great fun!

Cheers
RS

Might be what i'm looking for. Had a look on the site, the 90min trackmaster for £275 seems pretty reasonable. I'm not so much bothered about wet condition road control, more limits of handling/adhesion on the track.

Mucho thanks :thumb:

I would be wary of a 911 on a wet day! I'm sure you know what pathetically low limits wide tyres have in the rain...

That said, dry-wise, the car seems pretty well tamed so far. Over hard acceleration in the dry sees the nose run wide, cured by lifting off, and the tail seems reluctant to let go with PSM engaged, although 130mph bends do see a constant fidgiting or slight but persistant changes of direction which remind one of the cars heritage!

Limits are high when the car is treated smoothly, very high in fact, but it lacks the casual approach of your previous Audi, or most other Performance stuff from mainstream makers.

This, to me, is all part of the fun. Knowing that you own a car which, in the right hands at least, is a right old weapon, but is not a car to disrespect. I would imagine once the limits have been surpassed there might be nowhere to go....

Nothing like old ones of course!

The damping is wholly amazing though!

Indy said:
Over hard acceleration in the dry sees the nose run wide, cured by lifting off, and the tail seems reluctant to let go with PSM engaged

This is what I have experienced, not what I was expecting in that I thought the back would step out first but as you say the back is totaly planted still.

I'm learning slow but sure, I'll probably go on the Porsche experience to get a fuller understanding. I don't want to go to the Nurburgring next spring learning the cars charictoristics for the first time :eek:

Regarding the wet, I'll be driving tentativly although the 997 is my weekend fun car so won't be making many journeys in the rain.

'Lifting off mid corner' is something the PSM has been programmed to cope with according to my handbook, and is described as the 'Ferarras' effect or summat.

Provocation at lowish speeds seems to have no effect. I feel at silly speeds, the PSM may struggle, but only out of a sense of self-survival, nothing the car has suggested.

A skid pan would show it's limits safely and surely. Silverstone has to be the next stop eh? :thumbs:

Indy said:
'Lifting off mid corner' is something the PSM has been programmed to cope with according to my handbook, and is described as the 'Ferarras' effect or summat.

Provocation at lowish speeds seems to have no effect. I feel at silly speeds, the PSM may struggle, but only out of a sense of self-survival, nothing the car has suggested.

A skid pan would show it's limits safely and surely. Silverstone has to be the next stop eh? :thumbs:

Definitely! They take you through all the workings of PSM and show you just get the back end out. Amazing, how easy it is when you know how - and how controllable it is....

Well, well worth it.

Or do a track day and go sideways around every corner!! :thumb:

I think I may well bankcrupt myself doing this all next summer, quite happily :puh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back