Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche change the Turbo engine !?

Daniel

Donnington
I hear Porsche have dropped the 3.6 Turbo engine from the 997 ??

The replacement is going to be the 3.8 engine out the GT3.. (with twin turbos :wink: )

Anyone heard about this ??

:dont know:

Is this the end of the 3.6 GT1 Block - :eek:

The 3.8 in the GT3 is just a bored & stroked 3.6 - still basically the GT1 block.

The new turbo is DFI, so presumably is closer to the 997 3.8 engine in design?

Daniel said:
I hear Porsche have dropped the 3.6 Turbo engine from the 997 ??

The replacement is going to be the 3.8 engine out the GT3.. (with twin turbos :wink: )

Anyone heard about this ??

Is this the end of the 3.6 GT1 Block - :eek:

sadly yes for the TT range, http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=46411

the current twin-turbo 3.6-litre engine has been ditched in favour of a blown version of the direct-injection 3.8-litre flat six from the Carrera S. The variable-vane twin turbochargers have been extensively revised to increase responsiveness, and the intercooler and fuel system have been uprated, giving a 20bhp power boost, to 493bhp

I believe that the 3.8 engine in the 997.2 GT3 is still the GT1 block - BUT I'm sure I read somewhere that the new Turbo is based on the 3.8 engine from the standard 997.2 i.e. not the GT1 block

nineoneone said:
I believe that the 3.8 engine in the 997.2 GT3 is still the GT1 block - BUT I'm sure I read somewhere that the new Turbo is based on the 3.8 engine from the standard 997.2 i.e. not the GT1 block
correct... :sad:

The gt1 based engine was dropped due to costs,pdk would not attach to it,the mechanical noise was to loud for some countries(Enviroment/pollution law)

Just what I heard...

The 3.8 GT3 block is derived from the previous 3.6 block (ie GT1 derived back through the mists of time) and therefore is NOT DFI.

The 3.8TT block is derived form the 3.8 DFI C2/C4 standard block and is DFI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back