Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Warranty Aaaaggghhhh !

[email protected]

How frustrating.

I took my 996 GT2 for its annual service and wanted to get the warranty extended, in fact for two years.

Last year they wouldnt extended as my front cermaics had been replaced for alcons, so i bit the bullet and refitted ceramics at the front at huge cost.

This year they wont extend because i have a non standard radio/satnav.

Unbelievable, will now just save the warranty money to offset any problems, but this is ridiculous, basically you cannot change anything, even te battery.

They must have lost a lot of money on claims to be this strict !

I think that is too short-sighted, and to miss the bigger picture.

The actual number is issues from after market parts, that can't be voided simply by virtue of the fact Porsche neither made nor fitted them is virtually zero (and I guess that falls to zero if Porsche can prove any fault is contingent on third party part or fitting)

In general if you discount, say, the SatNav, exhaust or brake discs etc themselves, the modular nature pretty much precludes further non-part issues.

The point of the new warranty system is to ween us off third party parts or labour. They want that revenue stream back in house. The newest scheme is to void cars that have had nonOPC servicing and maintenance as well (to recover that revenue stream from Indies too!). Under EU law this is illegal for the period of the EU wide 2yr warranty, for competion reasons. However, any subsequent optional Insurance contract (AKA OPC Extended Warranty) can have any terms imposed they like (as long as they comply with standard contract law are not illegal or immoral etc)

The money at stake from gaining lifetime "care" of the Porsche product massively outweighs any profit or losses (yeah right!) from the warranties themselves.

So basically, even the competitive open periods years one and two are implicitly punished if you take the view either you or next owner may wish to extend warranty with OPC.

Very clever really, but draconian with it.

Not as much as they are going to lose in lost renewal fees and customers I suspect. They will keep some of the business of everyone who only ever used OPCs for anything in the past (except people put off by the new price) and lose any trade of any kind from pretty much everyone else from everything I have heard...

:bye:

One suspects that the larger indies laughed their conkers off when the terms of the new warranty came out?

I will expand on this in the next few days and posts but all I can say is .. if you are able to ...

GO TO HARTECH

If Baz Hartech opened an operation in the South East he would make a fortune. I am so sure of this I would even be willing to put my money where my mouth is on this one. :)

Plan a drive up North! A hire car for £15 and a day in the lakes??

Definately worth the drive!

Plus you only have to do it once a year (hopefully)

But as I said more anon...

The reasons will become obvious!

My beloved Speed Yellow 996 Carrera 2 with mods suffered the same fate under the latest Porsche Extended Warranty. Up until the new scheme it had always been covered :x .
Now I've got the 997 Gen 1 GT3, I'm a lot more circumspect :?: about infringeing the possibility of non coverage when I renew in about 15+ months time. I took 2 years when the car was bought from an OPC.
While we can moan at the apparent injustice of say exclusion because of a non Standard Sat Nav, think about those poor souls who did not for whatever reason renew their extended warranty only to suffer a total engine failure on a standard model Gen 1 997. (See separate Thread on this!)
Faced with that thought it must be very attractive to go back to standard, and pay the price!
Regards Big Bob :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back