Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Pressure gauge 2000 C2.....Newbie advice

adamw

Portimao
Hi,
Can anyone shed any light on normal behavior for this gauge?

IE:

Pressure started from cold
Pressure on idle
Pressure at certain points in the rev range.

Just got my 996 & I want to make sure I am reading this properly so that if there is a problem I spot it.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Adam

Cold start any revs: full pressure 5 bar

Fully warmed operating temp at idle: lowest running pressure 1.8/1.9 bar (<2 bar)

Fully warmed operating temp at steady 5k rpm: 3.5 bar AFAIK (check your handbook / manual)

Fully warmed operating temp full acceleration to 7+k rpm: 5 barish

GT4 said:
Cold start any revs: full pressure 5 bar

Fully warmed operating temp at idle: lowest running pressure 1.8/1.9 bar (<2 bar)

Fully warmed operating temp at steady 5k rpm: 3.5 bar AFAIK (check your handbook / manual)

Fully warmed operating temp full acceleration to 7+k rpm: 5 barish

Thanks mate.
This sounds about right to what I have experienced so far.
I did look in the manual, but I could only find a section that reffered to:
Fully warmed operating temp at steady 5k rpm: 3.5 bar

I couldn't find anything in reference to idle cold, idle warm or acceleration.

I was just a little supprised when it read "full pressure 5 bar" on cold start yesterday :?
But now I know that is the norm it's all good :thumb:

Cheers

Adam

I remember that being a concern to me when I got my first 911. All perfectly normal :thumb:

I've seen as low as 1 bar at idle after some really serious driving, back to back laps on the ring etc

It's more about a constant than a one off reading, so long as it's not doing anything different from normal then all should be okay

adamw said:

That is why I only mentioned handbook/manual against the third of the four scenarios.

The car needs/creates full pressure at startup because it has to lubricate the entire engine immediately. This is as close as it can get.

The other factor is that the oil is at its most viscous at cold (and hence pumping requires/results it high pressure).

andyc said:
I've seen as low as 1 bar at idle after some really serious driving, back to back laps on the ring etc

This scenario would the opposite to cold startup as the engine would be at its hottest (past average operating temp level) and hence the oil would be thinest and lowest pressure at idle. Additionally, the engine may be looser due to heat expansion.

The <2 bar test at idle is a good indication that the engine has fully reached operating temp and the fun can begin. In normal road conditions you would be hard pressed to recreate 1 bar though.

I guess individual pressures will also depend on the oil grade used in the engine (ie 0W-40, 15W-45, Tesco own brand :-o )

Also how worn the engine is (a 100k engine with worn bearings and pump etc will have lower overall pressure than a new, tight engine)

Dave said:
I remember that being a concern to me when I got my first 911. All perfectly normal :thumb:

Cheers Dave :thumbs:

GT4 said:
adamw said:

That is why I only mentioned handbook/manual against the third of the four scenarios.

The car needs/creates full pressure at startup because it has to lubricate the entire engine immediately. This is as close as it can get.

The other factor is that the oil is at its most viscous at cold (and hence pumping requires/results it high pressure).

andyc said:

This scenario would the opposite to cold startup as the engine would be at its hottest (past average operating temp level) and hence the oil would be thinest and lowest pressure at idle. Additionally, the engine may be looser due to heat expansion.

The <2 bar test at idle is a good indication that the engine has fully reached operating temp and the fun can begin. In normal road conditions you would be hard pressed to recreate 1 bar though.

I guess individual pressures will also depend on the oil grade used in the engine (ie 0W-40, 15W-45, Tesco own brand :-o )

Also how worn the engine is (a 100k engine with worn bearings and pump etc will have lower overall pressure than a new, tight engine)

Thanks for all that. All very useful info :thumb:
More useful than the manual :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back