Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

oil pressure gauge

denzilla

Hi all
dont know if im going mad or paranoid about my 996 turbo
just noticed my oil pressure gauge seems to be flicking up and down when im driving at normal speeds between 1500 to 3500 revs.
the oil pressure needle still goes to the top when the revs are above 4500rpm.
the engine warning check light came on 2 weeks ago and since then ive not seen it and theres no warning in the instrument display
any advice out there
denzilla

If you get a fault thrown up and the gauge drops to zero it's 'probably' the sender.

Mine is doing it and I plan on changing the sender but it seems like a bitch to get to without dropping the engine. If anyone has any hints it would be appreciated.

Oil gauge fault?

Hi folks,
I had the same experience yesterday a warning indication came up on the display stating indicator failure with the oil can symbol next to it. I then looked at the pressure gauge which had dropped to zero. It frightened the living daylights out of me, then within 20 to 30 seconds the gauge started working again.
Reading the thread is it just likely to be a sender/sensor that is failing?
How easy are they to change?

Any help appreciated
George 2004 996

....try cleaning the terminals and connectors on the sensor first.....it worked for me :thumb:

Re: Oil gauge fault?

GEORGE911 said:
Hi folks,
I had the same experience yesterday a warning indication came up on the display stating indicator failure with the oil can symbol next to it. I then looked at the pressure gauge which had dropped to zero. It frightened the living daylights out of me, then within 20 to 30 seconds the gauge started working again.
Reading the thread is it just likely to be a sender/sensor that is failing?
How easy are they to change?

Any help appreciated
George 2004 996

I had the same thing a coupe of years back. i think the technician said it was the 'oil pressure switch', which i guess is similar to sensor/sender?

Do you hav extended warranty? Mine was replaced by OPC under warranty.

I had the same thing 6 months ago. It was the sender that was faulty. don't know if you have warranty but it IS covered under warranty so took it to main dealer and they replaced completely free of charge.

It's been fine since. I think the replacement part itself would have cost me around £30 but it's the labour cost that would have made me think twice about doing at main dealer.

If you don't fancy the idea of replacing yourself, take it to your preferred independent - or wait until you're having service/other work done - I expect it'll be cheaper if the engine is already partially stripped.

It's a 30 minute job (book time). You just need short spanners, long skinny arms, and a grip like a gorilla.

Richard

Any chance of a quick run thru of what needs to come off to get to it?

Cheers

+1 for the sender - if the guage is flickering then a very good chance the sender is faulty

- Simon

speed8 said:
Richard

Any chance of a quick run thru of what needs to come off to get to it?

Cheers
IIRC, you don't need to take anything off to get at it, althogh it's a while since I did it.

The sender is located between cylinders 5 and 6 (driver's side of the engine compartment), pointing vertically upwards, on the cylinder head. There are two wires attached, and you can just see the connections in the photo.

Before you do anything else, try unplugging and reconnecting the two wires. It might be just a bad connection, which is common. If you have to take it out, you will need quite a short spanner, or better still a crow's foot spanner.

Like I said, small arms and hands helps! (Mine aren't!)

Attachments

• oil_pressure_sender_542.jpg
    oil_pressure_sender_542.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 9,957
Richard

Cheers, I'll take a look. There doesn't seem to be a lot of space in the back of a turbo though so I might have to start teaching my 8 month old son how to do some work on the car :)

speed8 said:
Richard

Cheers, I'll take a look. There doesn't seem to be a lot of space in the back of a turbo though so I might have to start teaching my 8 month old son how to do some work on the car :)

Sorry, I didn't realise you had a Turbo, and the oil pressure sender isn't where I told you. I was describing where it is on a 996 Carrera.

On a Turbo it is somewhere on the top of the engine to the left of the oil filter. Looking at the parts lists, it looks easier to access.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back