Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Break-in of new engine/car

madst

I have tried to search the forum extensively but w/o any result.

How should I break-in my new C2S engine/car when I pick it up on Friday? I understand that this is a debatable subject just from a general google search.

I have really no idea but what is your suggestion and experience with Porsche?

Cheers,
Mads

I kept it below about 4,000 revs for a few thousand miles. Hence why I drove a few thousand miles in the first two months!

4,000 rpm still allows you to drive the car pretty quickly just not hard acceleration in lower gears.

Once it's broken in and you have the oil temperature to optimum you can have lots of fun at 7,000 revs!

I used to stick below 3,500 revs and don't use full throttle for the first 500 miles, then gradually increase max revs by 500 rpm per 100 miles until about 1200 miles - then I would give it the beans (once properly warm!) Then get an oil change done...

Whether new or not NEVER use full throttle or more than about 4,000 revs until the engine (oil and water) is properly warm.

I found, over many many years of having new cars every few months, that I got a car that was nice and loose and revved freely, but well bedded in for a very long life. I know of one XJS that I 'ran in' this way that went on to do over 200,000 miles on the original engine (without a re-build).

I know the manufacturer says the 1000 / 1500 mile oil change is not needed these days, but believe me, there will be a lot of tiny metal shavings in there - as the rings and bores 'fit' together and tiny little burrs get knocked off of chains, sprockets and valve gear. Worth doing if you want the engine to last a long time... (Most new car owners don't bother as they only intend to keep the car for a short time and always under warranty - so they don't care if it prematurely wears out... :nooo: )

Lucky man...

And don't forget to take pictures while it's still shiny!

Advice from Porsche GB was under 5,000 revs for first 1,000 miles

And I actually kept below 4,000 revs...just to be a good boy :D

bigfish said:
Advice from Porsche GB was under 5,000 revs for first 1,000 miles

And I actually kept below 4,000 revs...just to be a good boy :D

The trouble is, the dealers don't tell new car buyers that! I've witnessed a brand new 911 leaving the dealership audibly bouncing off the rev limiter, with a grinning new owner behind the wheel! :nooo:

(Should've noted the reg number for future reference!)

Thanks for all your replies.

Found a few different suggestions here: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...7-2-dfi-engine-break-in-period-procedure.html

I am not sure i am comvinced of the school of thought which says warm it up and drive it like you stole it :pc:

I also called up Porsche at Reading, given the size of their service department, that someone would be able to give me a convincing answer. I was rather disappointed as the chap from service had to find the user manual where he just read out what it said "dont over load the engine and dont participate in motorsport events for the first 3000km" :?: surprised no rev limit.

Well, it seems the general suggestion is to keep the fully warmed up engine below 4-5,000 revs for the first 1,000 miles, at varying gears and throttle. As i only do 5K'ish miles a year, i sincerely hope this 2,000 miles (3,000km) does not apply!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back