Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP - Noise from back of 911

R2M

I bought a 911 4S about 4 weeks ago. Its a 56 plate and has 11000 miles on the clock.

After about 2 weeks a red exclamation mark appeared on the dash. I reported it to Porsche and they could not find anything wrong.

Then last week, I heard a noise from the rear of the car (passenger rear). I thought i had gone over something but it was a straight smooth road. I have been listening for the sound and it seems to happen mostly when braking during latter stages just as the car is coming to a standstill. Its like callipers are sticking or not releasing. I have checked the pads and discs -and there is no sign of stones scoring the discs.
On a couple of occasions it has happenned when going over a small sleeping policeman - which i practically roll over carefully and gently.

I can best describe this sound like a hollow metallic vibration.
Braking feels normal though.

Its happenning more frequently and i wonder if anyone out there knows what this can be.

Thanks

:sad: :?:

What warnign light do you get on the dash ?? Is it just the ! mark and is it permanently on? Also do you notice anything with the performance ?

Theo

Just a thought.

How long was car sitting in one place before you bought it??

Maybe handbrake mechanism partially stuck in the 'on' position in rear disc?
Or maybe rear wheel bearing although miles would suggest not but you do get occasional bad ones however this does not explain away warning light.

:thumb:

The red warning light s the ! on its own. It stayed on until i switched th engine off and thenit didnt apprear again. I took the car out again just now on the open road and the light didn't come back on.
The cars peformance is absolutely fine

theogeor said:
What warnign light do you get on the dash ?? Is it just the ! mark and is it permanently on? Also do you notice anything with the performance ?

Theo

So you are not getting any engine management warning lights which is good. The targatopper suggestion looks possible. Try to play a bit with the handbreak and see if you can replicate the noise.
The ! sign comes on when the handbreak is not release properly as well (It happened to me a couple of times :oops:

Hope is nothing.. Just keep an eye on it

Theo

The car was in thePorsche garage on Saturday and i bought it by tuesday.
It doesn't appear to the the wheel bearing. I've had a car before where it was and it does't sound like that.

I will check the handbrake position again tomorrow and see if that does anything.

Thanks for your reply

targatopper said:
Just a thought.

How long was car sitting in one place before you bought it??

Maybe handbrake mechanism partially stuck in the 'on' position in rear disc?
Or maybe rear wheel bearing although miles would suggest not but you do get occasional bad ones however this does not explain away warning light.

Thanks
I'll try that tomorrow.

Hope it is nothing also.

Cheers

theogeor said:
So you are not getting any engine management warning lights which is good. The targatopper suggestion looks possible. Try to play a bit with the handbreak and see if you can replicate the noise.
The ! sign comes on when the handbreak is not release properly as well (It happened to me a couple of times :oops:

Hope is nothing.. Just keep an eye on it

Theo

You could try jacking up car and then with handbrake off spin both the rear wheels by hand and see if they both rotate freely.

Hi

The car went into Porsche and I took the mechanic out with me so i could let him hear the noise for himself.
He said it was the steering rack that was making the noise. They have now replaced this and this particular noise has gone.
However, the noise coming from the left rear side when i break is still there. It still happens at the end of breaking and on occasion on uneven surfaces.
The breaks have been checked and are absolutely fine.
The car is going back into Porsche next Friday to see if we can get to the bottom of this one.

Cheers

targatopper said:
You could try jacking up car and then with handbrake off spin both the rear wheels by hand and see if they both rotate freely.

Similiar whirring brake(?) sound...

I bought a used 997 C2S and the first night, while pulling up to a stop, experience what I describe as a "circular whirring noise" like wha... wha... wha... that dissapeared when I put the brakes on. It's continued on and off over the last year.
Recently while driving through the Canadian Rockies I experienced it at high speed, but at a much faster whirring sound, then does dissappear 100% when I apply the brakes, then to return a short while later. I check the front end out. I have the PCCB system. Could it be that the brake calipers are not releasing far enough? Very annoying!
Thanks,
Joel Parker
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Sounds like one or more distorted brake discs. Might be worth having them checked for run-out.

Cheers,
Roy

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back