Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 - Check engine light came up after washing the car

jiriczech

Porsche fans,

I'm greeting you from the Czech Republic and got one question. It was such a cloudy day yesterday so I decided to wash my 997 C2 - (only the exterior). After it was shiny I let the engine run for about 5 minutes and then wanted to park it back to the garage but check engine light visit workshop came on. I drove to the Bosch service to have the failure read today but they didn't have the data for 997 C2 so they read the code by OBD (CARB) diagnostics system and found out that there's P0302 failure - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected. They deleted the failure and I went for a test drive for about 20 miles and the check engine light did not come up again and the performance seems to be fine. They said that the coil could get wet during washing the car - but I did not wash the engine.

My 911 is 2006 US import, got 14 500 miles on it and it was on its first service control in the Porsche service about 2 months ago.

Can anybody help me what to do with it? Should I let it be - there's no check engine light anymore or should I rather bring it to the Porsche service?

Thanks in advance!

Jiri

hi,

my 997 went in for a service recently and they told me it was misfiring and needed new coil packs.

A week before the service I also got the check engine light and changing 1 coil pack fixed this problem. the car was shaking quite a lot and i lost power when the light came on, but it was all fine after the coil was replaced.

i can't really tell you whether you should get your car checked out or not, but I was obviously running my car for quite a while with the coil packs on their way out and didn't get any problems until 1 totally failed.

hope that helps.

Pav

Thank you Pav,

I will probably visit the sevice to have it replaced. Is it hard work - expensive?

Thanks again,

Jiri

i think so as the price of £35 is about right.

luckily for me they were changing the spark plugs anyway so i only had to pay for the coil packs because the labour charge was covered in the service. so it may be quite a bit on the labour.

my car is out of warranty so you might want to check if its covered (assuming your car is still in warranty). I wouldn't take it to an OPC otherwise 'cause any reputable indy could do it at a fraction of the cost.

Just realised your in the Czech Republic so maybe there aren't that many indies out there :oops:

Ok, I've just ordered the original coil pack and yes you're right about the indies but I will look around :)

Thanks,

Jiri

have you just ordered the one? there are 6 coil packs in total. one per spark plug. you're not going to know how many need replacing until you get them taken out and checked.

i believe mine were changed because they were showing cracks.

Hi,
driving to work this morning my car (997 c2s tip) started missfiring, then the engine light came on and the message to visit the garage!!
Went straight to my local indy and had the coil pack diagnosed, they showed me the condition of my coil pack and explained that they are prone to getting wet and dirty, i have ordered 6 as in my opinion if one is dirty and failling then they all could end up going the same way!
A second hand unit was fitted so i could go on my way, and all 6 are being swapped on friday, £33 each plus an hours labour.
THANKS NINEMEISTER.

Well, I ordered just one 'cause i thought that the code said only 2nd cylinder. So I will wait for receiving the one and during replacement I will have the other 5 also checked and I will see.

Thanks!

Jiri

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back