Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Product Test, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System [TPMS]

Porsche

One of the biggest challenges for both a road and regular track day user is managing tyre pressures, as I know well the wrong tyre pressures can have a dramatic effect on the handling of a Porsche 911.

Even with my trusty Porsche tyre pressure gauge there have been a few queries over its actual accuracy and having to keep jumping out of the car after a session on the track to check tyre pressures can be a bit of a pain.

A Tyre Pressure Monitoring System is an option from the 997 generation cars onwards but before that, the system is not available as an OEM option. Having recently seen the ease and benefit that a 997 driver had with an automatic system on board I thought I would look at an aftermarket alternative.

I use my Porsche 911 GT3 [996] for track days and Ring trips more than anything else my focus for looking at automatic Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems is from its track use.

There are systems that can be fitted as an after-market and I've opted for the market leading Tyre Sure system, who are also partnered up with various motorsport teams, which caught my eye.
http://www.tyresure.com/

The key benefit that I am trying to achieve is both real time tyre pressure and temperature readings which will be valuable for that serious track driving experience, so as to help me better understand both factors when tracking the 911 GT3.

Having done a bit of investigating, I've listed the usual corporate info on the product below but found that TPMS was also reviewed by the Channel 5 gadget show in one of their focus groups http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/blog/pimp-your-ride-with-clever-car-gadgets

The T.P.M.S system constantly monitors tyre pressure and temperature.
The system alerts the driver when tyre pressure or tyre temperatures
are abnormal. It is totally wireless and CE Certified.

In the USA T.P.M.S is required to be fitted by law on new vehicles from September 2007. Many European vehicles already have this system
installed. It saves fuel, it saves tyre wear, it saves lives.

FEATURES & BENEFITS
- System operates 24hr - 365 days - 7 year battery life
- No need to check tyre pressures
- System alerts driver within 3 seconds of abnormal pressure or temperature
- Benefits
- Better fuel consumption ... saves money
- Normal tyre wear ... saves money
- No low pressure tyre failure ... saves lives

Next Post, fitting...

Attachments

• tpms_857.jpg
    tpms_857.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 37,555
units were fitted by Autowerks at my recent wheel refurb http://www.the-autowerks.com/

all comes in a nice compact box with simple fitting instructions

TPMS-01.jpg

Each unit needs to be fitted to the specific corner of the car, units are wireless with a 7 year battery life.

TPMS-02.jpg

TPMS-03.jpg

TPMS-04.jpg

TPMS-05.jpg

All done ready for the tyre fitment

TPMS-06.jpg

Not really sure about the orange 'sensor inside' cap, which will be probably nicked pretty soon !

TPMS-07.jpg

The key bits for the inside

Temp Reading
TPMS-08.jpg

PSI Reading
TPMS-09.jpg

Next stage is to hard wire in the power supply, which I have yet to do and find a good place for the display unit. So far all has been very simple and the unit set up and wheel config was equally simple.

One nice factor is that the display unit is compact, well made and looks a quality unit, so should fit well in the 911 gT3.

Key objectives are to compare the readings to conventional pressure gauges on the road an on the track, so see how it works best and in differing weather conditions. How this new information effects my driving ability and driving understanding and of course to see if it's worth it.

The unit claims an accuracy level of within +/- 1 PSI. Temp Accuracy is +/- 4 Degree but this info should be interesting as I've never had any tyre temp info before and it will be good to see how that comes to PSI pressure.

Having spoken to Tyresure, they are willing to set up a group buy should there be sufficient interest in the product, current Unit price is £179 inc VAT, so hopefully they can do a nice deal, so watch this space.

Right then who's up for a track day :)

Few questions added here

Post updated by MOD

a) When you change tyres most of the times you change valve as well... Not in this case ???
b) If you get a flat and you use the tyre repair kit how will that effect the sensor ????
c) Pricing, as it looks expensive?
d) How much is the install typically? How many places can do it?
e) Does the main unit need a power line? Or is it battery powered?

theogeor said:
Few questions added here

Post updated by MOD

a) When you change tyres most of the times you change valve as well... Not in this case ???
b) If you get a flat and you use the tyre repair kit how will that effect the sensor ????
c) Pricing, as it looks expensive?
d) How much is the install typically? How many places can do it?
e) Does the main unit need a power line? Or is it battery powered?

A = It's a solid (quality) metal value that seems to be reused, not the basis rubber value. have asked tyre sure for more info and on point B.

C = Basic Install costs are the costs of a tyre refit. Optional Hard wiring of unit is a job for any garage, I am currently using double sided velco, which does the job for £2.99

E = Needs a 12v feed it appears. It would be great if it was battery powered also.

Sundeep, How big is the display unit ?

TB

What psi is generally thought to be best on a 996 GT3 on track? Obviously depends on a wide range of factors such as tyres, surface, driving style, etc, etc, but just as a rough guide?

I expected more front end grip from my new toy at my first track day, check the tyre pressures and they were up to 45psi! :eek: Reduced them and noticed an immediate improvement.

Depends upon what tyres you use. I am currently still on Michelin PS2s and get good results and excellent longevity at 31 front to 38 rear when hot. I once went to bleed them after an early run of the day at 50psi on the rears - they heat up quick on a dry track. Generally you will take 8-12psi out of the rears in your first couple of sessions (possibly more if you are better than I) and then be set for the day.

If you run them too far over pressure then the middle of the tread will start to melt and you will run out of grip scarily fast. The pressure gauge is your friend :thumb:

After it's 1st official track day outing the TPMS is a must for all track dayers, I'll post up a full review shortly but to have an accurate tyre pressure reading, made a huge different to better understanding what my car was doing and what I had to do on the track day in changeable conditions.

I am actually shocked how good it was!

:thumb:

Having reviewed the product during it's fitting, I've done a few miles since and the following is my road test report...

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System [TPMS] from TyreSure

It's not often I am impressed by a Gadget, in today's age the world is full of 'the next best thing' gadgets, you only have to look at the endless and ridiculous Iphone applications to see how gadgets are designed to solve problems that don't always need solving.

The pictures below show the installation position of the display unit, which benefits the 911 GT3 Club Sport from having the centre console delete, which allows me to simply Velcro on the display in my sight when required but low enough to be out of sight in case of preying eyes and with Velcro it's easy to remove in a matter of moments.

The instructions do talk about hard wiring the system in, but even for a hardened track day driver like myself, where tyre pressures are critical, I considered hard wiring the system in as a bit over the top, as I can wait that initial 10-20 seconds to get that 1st initial reading. Although my car is more like occasional road use rather than occasional track use and the position as mentioned above is also a factor but when I do drive, the unit is on all the time.

Since the unit has been fitted I've done a full track days in very hot weather at Silverstone, a circuit that is heavy on brakes and I've also
been all the way to the Nurburgring in Germany.

Track Day

For use on a track day, it gets my 100% recommendation as a must have gadget, I was actually shocked at how good it was.

What I was able to get was the real time info on track (update every 3 seconds), with a quick look at the display which is both clear and easy to read. This helped me balance the tyre pressures (PSI) at the start of the day and manage them throughout, even allowing for the adjustments from the circuit layout i.e. clockwise track put more load on the nearside tyre.

Rather having to do a quick dash into the pits to check the tyre pressure I knew on track where things were at the right time, so back in the pits I was able to spend less time second guessing what needed to be done. This meant I was at the correct PSI much earlier in the day, so was able to get more out of the track day which was another positive.

As for the temperature information, it was useful to see the operating range on track which was between 54 and 69 degree C for the Toyo R888 Tyres. As I didn't have any other Temp info from Toyo to use, I only focused on PSI's, although it was clear that above 50 degree C into the 60's the R888 Tyres really became sticky on track.

There was a situation where a sudden Red Flag meant coming into the pits with the brakes very hot. Stopping in the pits the heat from the brakes pushed the front tyre temperatures up to 85 Degree C and set off the system Alarms, which was a surprise.

System Alarm Monitor

You can set both the upper and lower PSI and Temps. This is very useful on track days as after being off track for a while the PSI's do drop and on a few occasions I started a session with the PSI's below the operating range, which tripped the system alarm.

The system alarm results in a red display and an audible noise, which doesn't stop till the problem is solved. What was interesting was that on the 1st out lap from the pits, the tyre PSI and Temp hardly changed and it was well into the 2nd lap did the PSI and Temps start to build up to their operating range, which is a good 3 minutes of hard driving on track.

Track Driving

Having a better managed Tyre Pressure the car actually felt more stable and planted and actually gave me better confidence to push my car further. I was able to worry less about what the tyres were up to and get on with the rest of it, which is why I said I was shocked at how good the TPMS system was for track driving.

At the time my Toyo R888's were half worn and my 911 GT3 is always a thrilling challenge as it is set to mild oversteer. Having the tyres set to exact PSI's they should be, rather than roughly what my hand held tyre pressure gauge may have said in the pits, gave my confidence in the car. Taking control of the tyre PSI situation became one less thing to worry about as it can be so varied from track day to track day.

Nurburgring

Pretty much the same, although at 13 miles a lap it always needs a bit of a different set up method. Overcoming an initial car related geo and downforce issues for a day of lapping at the Nurburgring, I was able to set up the tyre PSI's quickly and efficiently, to help me manage those Ring geo/downforce issues and get on the pace quickly and chase down a few Ring Taxis!

Keeping the tyre PSI's in the track (HOT) operating range gave me the confidence to push on and we aware that over that long 13 mile lap how things were changing and adjust my driving accordingly.

Road Driving

The changes in tyre temperature I am now better understanding, on cold mornings (although we are still pretty much in the end of summer/early autumn so it's not that cold) the tyres can register barely 10 degree C 1st thing in the morning as the car fires up but will no doubt get colder.

They quickly heat up to road running temps into the 30's degree C, running into the 40's in more brisk driving. In the rain the tyre temps drop into the 20's quite quickly and you can start to notice the drop in traction from the effects of rain, which is more reason to tread carefully in the rain.

As I am running Toyo R888 track day tyres these suffer from limited wet weather and cold weather performance issues, so this TPMS system becomes a more valuable asset in such variable wetaher conditions.
I am unable to comment on normal road tyres but it would be interesting to understand the manufacturers data in respect to tyre temps to know when a tyre is really working.

Fuel Economy

The system has enabled me to keep an accurate PSI level and crucially demonstrated that my tried and trusted OEM Porsche gauge wasn't quite as accurate as it claimed!

It also highlights the differences in normal petrol filling station air pressure gauges, some are accurate and some are not.

The other surprising bit of news was that since I am now running the correct PSI for my R888 tyres based on the TPMS system reading, which I have checked with correctly calibrated motorsport air pressure gauges.

The fuel economy of car has gone up a noticeable amount, now by noticeable I mean only a few %, which I worked out as 3%. On my recent trip to the Nurburgring, Germany from the UK I always average low to mid 28 MPG, but on both journey's it was just over 29 mph. Not exactly a revelation but in a 415bhp GT3 Manthey hyper tuned track car an average motorway cruising MPG of 29mpg is a big deal!

Overall MPH has improved by a few clicks and it is noticeable after driving 28,000 miles in the same car, I do notice those miles per fill and that MPG from the Porsche on board computer. 3% isn't much and the track day Toyo R888's probably don't really do eco driving but it all helps, especially with fuel prices on the up again.

Summary

A really and practical gadget, so much so I would recommend it 100% on all 911 GT cars and any 911 that is driven on track.

In terms of road driving, after a few years the gadget should pay for itself with the fuel economy clawed back and the benefit of avoiding any low pressure tyre failure is a massive positive.

The logic from Tyresure is sound, tyres being wrongly inflated means exta wear, more fuel, and also more accidents. Even on my 911 GT3, I've noticed improved tyre wear, better fuel economy and a greater confidence in driving on track.

In terms of fitting, with the GT3 Club Sport it is simple to place the item using Velcro when needed with the cable attached to the Cig lighter for power is a tad lazy in fitting but works for my car. For regular Porsche 911's you might need to have a big of a think about the where and the how.

If I was a regular road driver I would probably hard wire the system in although the only criticism I have of the system is that the green/blue display doesn't suit the rest of the Porsche 911 interior when in direct sight. Although you could probably get away with having the power plugged into the cig lighter when needed, rather than hard wiring in, just to check things were all ok.

I'm now just thinking where this system was 3 years ago as it would have made a detailed difference to my 911 GT3 driving experience, when after all, it's all about the details.

Attachments

• incar_118.jpg
    incar_118.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 36,184
  • display_170.jpg
    display_170.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 36,184
  • incar2_106.jpg
    incar2_106.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 36,184
Group Buy, the UK importer has been in touch and they have said they can do to units at the special group buy price of £145 inc VAT and Delivery, if there is at least 6+ units of interest, which is an amazing one off rate.

1. oze172
2. tbrown
3. resb (possibly)
4. theogeor
5. a name emailed to me, to be posted
6.pirellipete
7. Boddington
8. theno23

Ordered...thanks Sundeep, thanks Ben :grin:

Done, I wait eagerly for the goodies :thumb:

TB

I'm impressed, I already have the gear in my grubby mitts within 24 hours, impressive service gents :thumb:

Won't be fitting for a while but even the kids are looking forward to it!

mine just arrived :Dance-Tap:

thanks Sundeep for finding something else for me to spend money on.

thanks Ben for the quick turnaround.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back