Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone experienced a problem with refilling a 997 fuel tank?

Big Bob

Barcelona
Dear All
Something I've noted on both my 996 and my 997 RHD cars. When the fuel tank is at about the half full mark, when trying to refill, you top up, cant get anymore in, but when you fire up the electrics you are only 3/4 full. Later after a drive you can get the balance of fuel in. I'm assuming that you can get an air lock in the tank at certain points of fill.
Any comments or an explanation?
Regards Big Bob
PS This annoys me because RHD cars only run to approx 64 litres compared to LHD cars 90 litres. So the range is bad enough but to stop on the motorway and fill it up you hope, but find you can't is not a smile maker!!!!!

Not something I experience and I often fill from 1/2 full - the Mrs. likes to keep the tank brimmed.

Whenever I undo the cap, there's a "Gasp" as the air rushes into the tank, but never a problem filling to max and the fuel gauge supports this.

Cheers,
Roy

I have notice that a couple of times and what I did was to push the front a bit to create a bit of a shockwave through the tank and release the air. Doesnt always work :x

Theo

Have you done a search on here Bob? I recall reading about this 1+ yrs ago perhaps? Cant remember what the outcome was I'm afraid.

Thanks All. I give it a shake, and do some research. Regards Big Bob :bye:

The only things I've read were generally relating to 996 and possibly only affecting the 4wd cars.

Firstly the tank design is/could be a 'saddlebag' style where only one side has the sender unit and the other is a calculated average. It could explain possible airlock or misreading.

Second point could be that the sender unit is faulty or not giving an accurate reading. I read that it doesnt read the bottom 1/4 and this is again just a computer calculation based on consumption rate (hence why it doesnt always register if you only partially fill).

Thirdly, just my own thoughts. I believe the Euro tank is larger (90l), the US and UK tank is smaller (64l?). Is it conceivable that they both use the same gauge which is calibrated for the larger one? Or could it be that yours has been fitted with the wrong gauge due to short supply during production? Is it common or is yours isolated? Just clutching at straws for you!!

Chris W said:
The only things I've read were generally relating to 996 and possibly only affecting the 4wd cars.

Firstly the tank design is/could be a 'saddlebag' style where only one side has the sender unit and the other is a calculated average. It could explain possible airlock or misreading.

Second point could be that the sender unit is faulty or not giving an accurate reading. I read that it doesnt read the bottom 1/4 and this is again just a computer calculation based on consumption rate (hence why it doesnt always register if you only partially fill).

Thirdly, just my own thoughts. I believe the Euro tank is larger (90l), the US and UK tank is smaller (64l?). Is it conceivable that they both use the same gauge which is calibrated for the larger one? Or could it be that yours has been fitted with the wrong gauge due to short supply during production? Is it common or is yours isolated? Just clutching at straws for you!!

correct about the saddle bag tank on 4wd cars, first half of gauge travel is calculated I think therefore if you top up from over half full the gauge doesn't move, as the float is only on one side of the tank. Something like that anyway.

on my car I fill up with the pump out a little ie not fully in the filler as far as you can, alwats reads full so far. And is too as I've got 63 litres in before!

Thanks for the input. As I said at the beginning of the thread, I also experinced this issue on my 996 Carrera 2, when the tank was a little under half full. I too realised that positioning the filler nozzle in the filler neck was also critical to getting a full fill.
On the 997 GT3 this is the first time I've refilled at a little under half full. I got 17 litres in and wherever I placed the nozzle. Infact the fuel flowed out of the filler and down the escape pipe.
When I got back in the car the fuel guage was on 3/4 full.
I drove on a little further and the balance of fuel to full went in as sweet as a nut.
It can only be an airlock situation therefore that is more likely to occur at about the half tank mark .
Ah well the rest of the car is perfect - so not a big deal in the greater scheme of things.
Best Regards Big Bob

good excuse to get out there and drive it till it's empty :thumb:

I have had two problems filling my 997 up.

1. When it gets real empty and I mean real empty, all cars may have a problem getting the first lot of fuel in. The AA man told me this.

2. The other day I noticed I was low and then filled it up, the following morning I recalled being on low but NOT filling it up. So there I was in the station for 15 mins, trying to squeeze £2.65 worth of petrol in my car having completely forgotten that I had done so the previous night! :oops:

Lee

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back