Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 c4s - wont start

smithy997c4s

got the beast out of the garage today. started ok (2005 55 plat 997 C4S 29k on clock)

30 mins later went to start it and these things happened

1. car wont start
2. PSM failure warning comes on
3. PASM failure warning light comes on
4. Windows go down when trying to start

??? battery flat - is on a trickle charge now

anyone had similar problems

Hi friend" A guy in gleneagles put his 997 on trickle charge last week. The car went on fire. Front end and interior burnt out. Insurance not intersted. BEWARE!!. :dont know:

I had a similar problem and it was the battery, so give it a charge and see if that sorts it.

I just heard this story yesterday from my neighbour as I told him I'd get a trickle charger next time (my battery is currently flat also). He advised against it as they are fire prone.

~ Maxie :?

car won't start

many thanks for the help and advice guys

i will be careful of any charging in the future

battery now fully charged and car started ok. warning messages for pasm and psm still on so took it for a drive
within 10 seconds these went out and all is back to normal

so fingers crossed all ok now. if battery drains again soon then it may be a fault with the alternator ?????

many thanks again for all your help

My previous '05 997 developed battery problems over the period of a week. The battery had met its maker, but a replacement from Halfords restored life and my own sense of humour.

If you search the forum, you'll see that battery failures after 3-5 years are not uncommon, so don't assume that the alternator's at fault if it happend again :dont know:

Maybe battery but would get the alternator checked as well - I had a similar problem that was caused by alternator over-charging he battery and cooking it.

1. car wont start
2. PSM failure warning comes on
3. PASM failure warning light comes on
4. Windows go down when trying to start

Identical car identical symptoms, in my case it was a dead battery that no amount of charging could resurrect.

Replacement battery from Porsche was installed and as good as new. Might try one of those battery maintainers to see if that extends battery life.

went down to porschtek leeds on friday to pick up my new battery

they recommended the Bosch S5, as the porsche battery is of an older type design and if drains fully then will unlikely recover again or last long. porsche battery guarantee is 2yr, bosch is lifetime !

fitted battery and have also purchased on their recommendation an OPTIMATE 4 battery conditioner. got this from green reaper (gardening website of all places) for £40 delivered. it is used by most motorcycle manufacturers too.

this attaches via eyelets to the battery terminals and can be connected and disconnected in a click. whenever the car is left in the garage, i leave this on and it tops up the battery when needed. otherwise it just monitors it and remains idle. Car starts up much quicker now, and battery should last for a long time. I would highly recommend the Optimate, otherwise the guys at porschtek said you could by a new battery, use the car infrequently and need a new battery in 6-12 months again. any other news will let u guys know

cheers

smithy997c4s said:
I would highly recommend the Optimate...
Glad to hear that you have found a good solution :thumbs:

I bought an Optimate 3 a year or 2 ago. Excellent bit of kit and I use it mainly to top up the bike at weekends.

FWIW when I had my 997 battery woes, the Optimate could do nothing for it. My conclusion: when a battery has expired, there's only one way ahead. Having said that, I heartily endorse the Optimiate. For £40 ish, it's a no-bainer!

:bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back