Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Warranty - the RIP off of the century

anthonyg

Has anyone come accross a credible 3rd party warranty provider for their 997?? My car is due to have it's warranty renewed and not only do they want £1350 per year but apparently they wont cover me due to having a Parrot bluetooth kit (!!!!) AND they want me to replace my battery because it is non genuine (I paid £40 for it, guess what porsche want £250!)... Any help appreciated!

PS.... new shape M3 is starting to look interesting.....

Until something goes 'pop' and then you will be extremely grateful. I will be taking up the offer in October as things go wrong in life.

Don't know about 3rd party but if you search the forum they will emerge. There may be limits on claims and there won't be goodwill gestures on offer.

It horses for courses and you get what you pay for even if it doesn't sound fair at the time.

Pete

anthonyg said:
Has anyone come accross a credible 3rd party warranty provider for their 997?? My car is due to have it's warranty renewed and not only do they want £1350 per year but apparently they wont cover me due to having a Parrot bluetooth kit (!!!!) AND they want me to replace my battery because it is non genuine (I paid £40 for it, guess what porsche want £250!)... Any help appreciated!

PS.... new shape M3 is starting to look interesting.....

Sadly nothing new since the new T&C's came in late last year.

Hi there

Check out WMS Warranty http://www.wmswarranty.com/

You might find you can negotiate a special deal on an appropriate level of cover.

We found they were good to deal with, but only had them for a few months and only with a £2K claim limit.

Also, give Mark Pierce at Stirlings a call http://www.stirlings.co.uk/ or via this forum.

Good luck

Sally (and Royd999)

"Has anyone come across a credible 3rd party warranty provider for their 997"

There are various maintenance programmes available. I use Hartech to look after mine. I think they now do the 997

www.hartech.org

Hartech isn't really a warranty...more a maintenance plan. You pay for your annual maintenance costs over 12 monthly installments.

Try a different OPC. My car got the warranty with an aftermarket PCM replacement unit (Kenwood DNX 8220) a non standard induction kit plus some other bits. I would not run a newish 911 without the OPC warranty

I am new to this site but would like to make it clear that our Lifetime Maintenance Plan - is not just covering services.

True it provides completely free services at the required intervals in return for a monthly fee (and a free anuual MOT) - but with very few exceptions it also covers the labour cost of most other repairs (including engine and gearbox rebuilds and things that just wear out like brakes, clutch, water pump etc).

Although parts are not free the cost for say a 996 engine rebuild (parts only) may be £500 to £1000 and for brakes and clutches etc usually around half our normal prices which are anyway less than main agent prices.

Costs are therefore very resonable (example £55 and £72/month + Vat for 6K and 12k/year cover for a Boxster or 996) which is about the same you would pay just for services and replacement wear and tear items with a main agent but includes the free labour if you ever suffered a dissaster.

It is in its 10th year and has never had any problem satisfying the demands of customers.

It means that the better job we do during a service the less likely we are to see the car before the next service (an unusual incentive in the garage business).

We continue cover "for as long as you own the car" - no age, mileage, claim or frequency of claim limit.

Basically we are offering a very low cost and well incetivised maintenance system that covers most of the cost of large failures, results in regular wear and tear items costing abour half price and after paying the monthly charges - no extra costs for services and an annual MOT (if that is all it needed). We also do not hide behind terms that exclude a claim when you make it - mainly faults caused entirely by corrosion are excluded and alarms radios cd's and air con.

To get on the scheme you either buy a car from us (in which case monthly fees are less than quoted and you get a period of free cover anyway) or you book your car in for a major service and check over (after which some things may need fixing while others may be excluded from cover at your choice if you prefer them not to be fixed before going on the scheme). A 996 Gold Major service required would cost £550 + Vat.

Service intervals for 997's are not as recommended but revert to the older more frequent 996 recommendations (as we can see no engineering reason to extend them) so you get more frequent oil changes for your money and if we did a poor job of the service we would simply spend more of our time and money fixing the consequntial faults later.

We have worked out several comparisons - but for example - if you had a 996 911 and kept it for 3.5 years doing 12k/year and you never had anything go wrong but did require services when due, average wear and tear items replaced like discs every 40K and pads every 20K and a clutch at 60K, brake fluid - air bag check - gear box oil as stipulated and a battery when 8 years old - and paid for each warranty - and you bought the car privately then it would cost overal about £1824/year with Hartech and £3493/year with a Main Agent (£1669 more).

There is no annual up front payment so if you had an expensive failure after a few months you would be in pocket enough to pay for the parts and if you had the expensive failure after a year (or more) - again you would be in pocket. The only time there is some equality is if you just happened to have an expensive failure like and engine after say 12 months just before you renewed the Porsche Warranty.

The difference is slightly less if you own a 997 (due to Porsche's extended service periods) but still over 7 years you are paying over £8000 more for the Porsche cover - which eventually abandons you.

So - to return to the reason for this posting - not "just a service maintenance plan" - in my opinion.

Baz

Baz You just need to open a Southern garage. I would be looking for something like your offering when my 996tt falls out of the OPC scheme.

Dave said:
Baz You just need to open a Southern garage. I would be looking for something like your offering when my 996tt falls out of the OPC scheme.

an Aberdeen branch sounds in order too :?: :thumbs:

Wayyyaaaa welcome Baz :bye:

about time :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back