Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Going to take the plunge.

baxster

Monza
After some time going backwards and forwards, falling out with the idea, being annoyed at the engine failures, reading up on the new engines I have, I think? decided to place an order.
Im going for a new c4s. Spec is proving a bit tricky as I just cannot decide on pdk or not. Drove it and found it brilliant and contary to every one else I find the system not counter intuative at all, in fact I dropped in with it straight away.
My main spec dilema there for is to go manual or not and whether to go electric seats or adaptive sports seats, I have had adaptaive sports seats in a boxster and loved them but they dont really offer mega amounts of extra grip plus they seem to deform quite easily.
Id be interested in any views on pdk and seats.
Thanks.

baxster said:
After some time going backwards and forwards, falling out with the idea, being annoyed at the engine failures, reading up on the new engines I have, I think? decided to place an order.
Im going for a new c4s. Spec is proving a bit tricky as I just cannot decide on pdk or not. Drove it and found it brilliant and contary to every one else I find the system not counter intuative at all, in fact I dropped in with it straight away.
My main spec dilema there for is to go manual or not and whether to go electric seats or adaptive sports seats, I have had adaptaive sports seats in a boxster and loved them but they dont really offer mega amounts of extra grip plus they seem to deform quite easily.
Thanks.

I have adaptive sports seat in my Gen 2 C2S, I would not bother. Just get normal sports seats. Unless you share the car and will use the seat memory function I see little point paying the extra.

Gearbox is real personal decision. I came from a DCT M3 to a manual C2S. I wanted more involvement. No matter how good or fast these twin clutch gear boxes are they are not as fun to drive as you end up leaving them in auto 99% of the time.

I think it all depends what you want the car for, I would concur that the PDK is a bloody good auto.

'Id be interested in any views on pdk and seats. '

I always have seats in my cars IMO its the only way to go! :floor: Keeping the doors shut hanging onto the steering wheel at all times helps me stay in the seat most of the time and don't wear leather trousers.

Don't let anyone else drive it and you have no seat memory issues!

PDK is a fantastic system wish I had it on mine, changing gear is so over rated unless you are going tracking! Kickdown and fly! (keeping within national speed limits at all times) Health and Safety notice.

The most important thing is that you have decided to buy the best car around :thumb: , just keep it warrantied and you'll have little to worry about.

baxster said:
Thanks.

I've had a GenII C4S since they first came out in October and it's an awesome machine. I went for PDK and have not regretted it for one second. The steering wheel buttons are just fine and actually don't get that much use as the PDK is so good as an automatic. Get the PDK.

As far as seats go, all I specced were regular sports seats but they do the job perfectly.

Don't know what else you are going for but I would say definitely, definitely go for Sport Chrono (and Bose and Sat Nav obviously). The sport button really changes the character of the car from everyday cruiser to "proper sports car" and sport plus is simply bonkers (but probably not recommended for the local high street)

The only thing I didn't spec which I now wish I had was a multi function steering wheel, but that's no biggie. If I did it again, I'd probably get a sunroof too, but you have to stop somewhere!

If you go for a C4S with PDK and sport chrono (and seats of some sort obviously), you will not be disappointed......Just my$0.02 :thumbs:

Well done, don't go for the adaptives, spend the money on Chrono etc.

As for PDK it is sublime from the brief time I was in one for however it really is personal choice. Choose wisely. I think I would probably go for a manual to be honest but I would have to think hard about it.

Thanks for replies.
Im definatley speccing sports chrono and multifunction, heres the rest of the spec.
Meteor grey
side skirts
sports exhaust
rear wiper
park assist
sports seats
Heated seats
Cruise
Bose
USB
Extended nav
Phone module
I think I will end up going manual as I feel the novelty of pdk will wear off for me.
I have one last stumbling block in that the mirrors on the 997 fall just by a concrete dividing wall in our double garage. I used to get my old 987 boxster in but the 997 is slightly longer at the back meaning that it allows me reverse the car in but I am unsure whether I will be able to get past the mirror when I get out. From memory the boxster mirrors only tilted in a slight bit with some weird retaining device to hold them there. Does anyone know if the 997 mirrors can be folded?
Thanks

I have a four month old 997 C4S and contrary to others on here I hate the PDK (see my thread) not necessarily because of the problems I have had but because of the way it shifts so quickly into 7th, which in my view robs the car both of the noise and (more importantly) the kickdown is just not that quick or smooth (compared to say my wifes DSG equipped Audi).

I have not tried the adaptive sports seats but do have the sports seats and find them very comfortable and supportive.

cap_scarlet said:
I have a four month old 997 C4S and contrary to others on here I hate the PDK (see my thread) not necessarily because of the problems I have had but because of the way it shifts so quickly into 7th, which in my view robs the car both of the noise and (more importantly) the kickdown is just not that quick or smooth (compared to say my wifes DSG equipped Audi).

I have not tried the adaptive sports seats but do have the sports seats and find them very comfortable and supportive.
Does the pdk switch into 7th like you say even when you are in sports mode and using it as a manual? I would of thought it would only do what you say when in auto, if thats the case I can understand why and it would not be a problem, if it does however overide you when in manual then it could be a problem.
Any one know if the mirrors can be folded?
Thanks

baxster said:

They certainly can't on the gen1 997 and I suspect the same is true on the gen2. I was surprised when I discovered this, having been used to folding mirrors on other cars like the E46 M3. But when you think about it, the 911's arse is wider than the mirrors, so there's no need for them to fold :)

For this reason I have to drive into my garage and reverse out.

BTW, now it is available I would definitely say that the PSE (Sports Exhaust) is a must-have on your spec.

Clive

Evil_C said:
baxster said:

They certainly can't on the gen1 997 and I suspect the same is true on the gen2. I was surprised when I discovered this, having been used to folding mirrors on other cars like the E46 M3. But when you think about it, the 911's arse is wider than the mirrors, so there's no need for them to fold :)

For this reason I have to drive into my garage and reverse out.

BTW, now it is available I would definitely say that the PSE (Sports Exhaust) is a must-have on your spec.

Clive
Yes I have it down. Also having the carrera sport alloys.
Is that correct about the mirrors? If so I should be able to plot it out, I just thought they were slightly wider like around 1900? I hope you are right.

cap_scarlet said:

Cap_scarlet, do you have the Sport Chrono option? I do have to admit that in "normal mode" the PDK will seek out 7th at every opportunity (by design) and this makes it feel a bit flabby if you suddenly want to press on. With the sport button pressed, 7th is locked out in auto mode (but you can still select it with the buttons) so it's not a problem. There is a BIG difference in the behaviour of the car between normal and sport.

I have a friend who has a C2S PDK and is rueing not having sport chrono for this reason.

baxster said:
I think I will end up going manual as I feel the novelty of pdk will wear off for me.

Yup, it really is each to their own and I'm sure the manual will be great. For the record, the novelty is showing no signs of wearing off for me! One of the major differentiators for me between the GenI and GenII cars IS the availability of the PDK. I know you get a better engine and more technology, particularly on the C4S but a manual car would not have been different enough for me to make the change, but that's just me.

I also personally think you car will look way nicer without a rear wiper but your situation might dictate you need one.

How long is the wait these days from order to delivery? Can't see it being long!

You can fold the mirrors on my 997 Carrera!

All you have to do is push the mirror (gently) and then there is a pin which you put into keep the mirror folded back. They don't fold back particularly far but enough to take away some of the nervousness of coming back to find your wing mirror smashed off!

Thanks for replies.
goodethernet..They are currently saying 10 weeks. There are quite a few already built and available immediatley unfortumatley as is usually the case all the ones available did not have the spec i wanted and in particular sports exhaust, side skirts and carrera sport alloys.
It will however be d day or celebration day tommorrow as they are bringing one over to see if it will go in the garage.
The mirrors sound the same as the boxsters which tilted backward around 30 degrees and were held back by some pin. Hopefully this will be enough as I have plenty of room around the car apart from this one spot where the partition wall which is a supporting wall encroaches into the space. Fingers crossed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back