Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox issues!! - 997 Carrera 2S

anthonyg

Hi All,

My 997 (2005) recently started crunching going into 2nd, it was particularly bad when the car was cold.

After booking the car into my local OPC I was told that the car needed a replacement gearbox! Luckily, I extended the warranty (back in the day when it was £895!) and this work was covered.

Believe it or not, I got the car back to find it was better but still very uncomfortable going into 2nd gear. Now I have taken it back in and been told that the gearbox needs to have done 1500 miles before porsche will look at it again - LIVID!!

I took the car back in today and told them they could keep it until it is fixed! They made me go out with one of the mechanics who confirmed it was bulking into 2nd. Apparently they are now logging a technical issue with porsche GB to see what their response is!

Total joke - anyone experienced anything similar or have any advice/suggestions!!?

Thanks ALL

Didn't they test drive it before you got it back? It's probably not the gearbox at all... :nooo:

Did they not change the clutch + flywheel at the same time? Surely that's a school boy error. If the clutch is slightly worn or the flywheel has slight hot spots this can cause the changes to drag.

anthonyg said:
Hi All,

My 997 (2005) recently started crunching going into 2nd, it was particularly bad when the car was cold.

After booking the car into my local OPC I was told that the car needed a replacement gearbox! Luckily, I extended the warranty (back in the day when it was £895!) and this work was covered.

Believe it or not, I got the car back to find it was better but still very uncomfortable going into 2nd gear. Now I have taken it back in and been told that the gearbox needs to have done 1500 miles before porsche will look at it again - LIVID!!

I took the car back in today and told them they could keep it until it is fixed! They made me go out with one of the mechanics who confirmed it was bulking into 2nd. Apparently they are now logging a technical issue with porsche GB to see what their response is!

Total joke - anyone experienced anything similar or have any advice/suggestions!!?

Thanks ALL

This just highlights the point I was making in my thread "OPC warranties and jumping through hoops". There doesn't seem to be any engineering common sense applied at all. Why would you need to do 1500 miles on a gearbox that shows exactly the same issue as before. If anybody was to know if the problem was still persisting the owner would.

Did they look at your RMS seal at the same time? Don't you have to remove the gearbox to gain access to the seal?

Craig.

anthonyg said:
Hi All,

Thanks ALL

This just highlights the point I was making in my thread "OPC warranties and jumping through hoops". There doesn't seem to be any engineering common sense applied at all. Why would you need to do 1500 miles on a gearbox that shows exactly the same issue as before. If anybody was to know if the problem was still persisting the owner would.

Did they look at your RMS seal at the same time? Don't you have to remove the gearbox to gain access to the seal?

Craig.

Gearbox!

Chaps,
Thanks for your replies.
On the clutch front this was replaced about 5000 miles ago, the previous owner paid for it to be replaced when the engine was replaced - it failed and was replaced under warranty!
They replaced a shaft of some sort which they charged me 100 odd quid for as aparently this was due to wear and tear and not covered.
My immediate reaction was that they have clearly mis-diagnosed and replaced a gearbox when it probably wasnt needed!
My other point with them was that when you buy a new 911 the gearbox doesnt bulk into 2nd does it so how can it be a "wearing in" issue.
When I speak to them next week i will ask re flywheel and clutch (I had avoided suggesting these topics as I knew the old Wear and tear line would be coming) thanks for that!
Cheers

The only things that can cause bulky gear changes are as follows....

Gearbox
Gearbox oil
Clutch
Gearbox mounts
Gearbox linkage (edited to add)

If they have changed the gearbox than you can bet your nads it's the clutch.

On the + side if it is the clutch atleast you got a free gearbox out of it :thumb:

Ant

Clutch!

Sadly I suspect that you are right!!!

Hopefully this should be a freebie too as the car had a clutch fitted in 2007 and I believe all purchased parts are covered for 2 years :))) no doubt that will require endless arguments.

Interested in your views from a resale point down the line, the car has now had new gearbox, engine and likely clutch - do you think this enhances its resale appeal/value or hinders it??!!!

I would prefer it to be honest but there will be a minority who would not. If they are willing to just replace parts rather than fix the issue let them get on with it :lol:

If i had a warranty i would be pushing for replacements parts all the time :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back